Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruits

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    Dan Jech commits to USD. Not sure if SDSU had an offer for him? Anyways, great get for the Yotes considering that Geu committed to NDSU.
    These were likely related I would assume. Once one committed the other decided to make a move. It's possible Jech committed first and NDSU then took Geu. All speculation here of course.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Also, saw this last night but forgot to post.

Gavin Block committed to Saul Phillips at Ohio University.

JT Gibson had his visit to NDSU this past weekend. It'll be interesting to see when he makes his decision. Likely soon. He's done with official visits.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
        Except it is not a miss... SDSU stopped recruiting Deng early this fall because of their need for a point guard.
        That's what's being spun now. They might have quit recruiting him when they realized he was not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          That's what's being spun now. They might have quit recruiting him when they realized he was not interested.
          Spun. Not spun. The fact of the matter is, if you look at our roster, a post is not necessary for this class.

PG, on the other hand, is a big need. It's much more preferable that we have either a sophomore or a RS Freshman to take over two years from now as opposed to a true freshman. It wouldn't shock me if we used the 2 scholarships we have available on 2 potential point guards just to make sure we have one in waiting.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

What reason would Seville have to spin anything for SDSU's favor? He has connections to the NDSU program just like he does SDSU. If anything, I would think he'd benefit from not spinning it and having the public know one of his players was highly recruited (still) by multiple Dakota schools.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              These were likely related I would assume. Once one committed the other decided to make a move. It's possible Jech committed first and NDSU then took Geu. All speculation here of course.
              That is what I am trying to figure out, Geu's coach made it seem like both NDSU and USD were recruiting him heavily based on an interview I heard. Not sure who NDSU wanted more, Geu does seem to fit the stretch 4 TrayVonn Wright mold though.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                What reason would Seville have to spin anything for SDSU's favor? He has connections to the NDSU program just like he does SDSU. If anything, I would think he'd benefit from not spinning it and having the public know one of his players was highly recruited (still) by multiple Dakota schools.
                Seville and other AAU people like him spin for sake of the players not the programs persuing them. Geu is very different type of player than we currently have. He is not a 5, but can finish around the rim. Many of our big like Daum or Dykstra in the past play on the perimiter and thus negates their size. Be interesting to see who will move into Larson's role after he graduates? Just don't buy Geu rhetoric as it relates to SDSU.

Comment

Seville and other AAU people like him spin for sake of the players not the programs persuing them. Geu is very different type of player than we currently have. He is not a 5, but can finish around the rim. Many of our big like Daum or Dykstra in the past play on the perimiter and thus negates their size. Be interesting to see who will move into Larson's role after he graduates? Just don't buy Geu rhetoric as it relates to SDSU.
                  OK - So Seville saying that Jacks cooled on his offer is spinning for the sake of Geu?

You very well could be right and he could turn out to be a miss by SDSU, but I just don't buy there is any reason why Seville would be making it up.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Nope, Seville is not spinning this. SDSU cooled on Geu early on.

Comment

Way too much time being spent on a guy who unless you are within a 50 mile radius of S. Falls. is largely unknown. Not to be a jerk but the bottom-line is he went elsewhere and the AAU guys love to spin stuff to benefit either their program or their own guys. A pg is our big need this year and I'd be curious to know what the pecking order is right now if the Mn kid picks NDSU.

Comment

This is an interesting discussion, but I'm surprised at the, "If we offered and he didn't accept, it's a miss" perspective. Cooling on a kid who plays a position you no longer need to fill seems like a perfectly logical decision as a coach.

The flipside is having a team in 1-2 years with no solid point guard replacement and everyone on these boards saying, "Why in the world did Nagy take so many bigs in the 2015 class?! It's obvious we needed a point guard!" Plus, let's say the Jackrabbits get Deng and JT Gibson goes to NDSU. Do you then consider the Jackrabbits as having "missed" on Gibson? Unless the coach is just a Mark Wahlberg-esque sniper of a recruiter, he's not going to get every kid he offers.

I mean, is it possible Deng will be the greatest player in NDSU history and Nagy and the Jackrabbit boosters will forever regret not locking him in? Maybe (although I'd doubt it). But giving yourself a lopsided roster simply because you made an offer at some point in a kid's recruiting process (or else it will be considered a "miss") just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Good coaching means assessing your team's needs and actively taking steps to accommodate those needs.

Just my thoughts. The "we missed" side of the discussion just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, I guess.

Comment

One can never question their own hindsight!

Best of luck to the kid! Next up!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            This is an interesting discussion, but I'm surprised at the, "If we offered and he didn't accept, it's a miss" perspective. Cooling on a kid who plays a position you no longer need to fill seems like a perfectly logical decision as a coach.

The flipside is having a team in 1-2 years with no solid point guard replacement and everyone on these boards saying, "Why in the world did Nagy take so many bigs in the 2015 class?! It's obvious we needed a point guard!" Plus, let's say the Jackrabbits get Deng and JT Gibson goes to NDSU. Do you then consider the Jackrabbits as having "missed" on Gibson? Unless the coach is just a Mark Wahlberg-esque sniper of a recruiter, he's not going to get every kid he offers.

I mean, is it possible Deng will be the greatest player in NDSU history and Nagy and the Jackrabbit boosters will forever regret not locking him in? Maybe (although I'd doubt it). But giving yourself a lopsided roster simply because you made an offer at some point in a kid's recruiting process (or else it will be considered a "miss") just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Good coaching means assessing your team's needs and actively taking steps to accommodate those needs.

Just my thoughts. The "we missed" side of the discussion just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, I guess.
                            Agree 100%

Hopefully the Jacks can land JT Gibson

Comment

JT Gibson to UNO

Edit: At this point, there's one scholarship out there that we've heard of in Dainan Swoope. Not sure if he even still has an offer.
                              Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 10-26-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                JT Gibson to UNO
                                I have not seen much on this guy but apparently a good one got away. After Hobo day and getting swept by the Bison in volleyball and cant get any worse or can it?

Comment

Working...
                                X