Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-14 Prospectus by My Summit League

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Speaking of spelling Bittle, I do not think that Brayden will be overlooked for that job at this point(unless there is some miracle in the wings). Historically Brayden has been the first choice to backup any rests that Nate took before Bittle arrived. Additionally, I am not certain where there was comparisons of Donlan as a successor to any top 5 scorers or point guards. There was some similarity to the build of Bader and Nate in relation to strength. There was even a reference to how a redshirt year helped Brayden. There is also some chatter about the potential for a deeper bench which would certainly include the possibility that Donlan may be called upon. You are right on where the starting lineup has gaps, but the rotation(or lack of rotation) could always surprise the crowd.
    All true, sorry I may have put words in your mouth. Another poster was betting on Donlan starting and being a leading scorer. Maybe that will happen, but I just don't see it. IF he can defend like Carlson and White, I could see him getting around 15-20 minutes a game spelling those guys. Assuming he can score, rebound, and doesn't turn the ball over.

I just kind of chuckle at assumptions made about redshirt freshman and high school players. Have we learned nothing from the likes of Cam Hornby and Thomas O'Brien? (Not meant as a slight on those guys, but more an observation of the unrealistic expectations fans have of unproven players.)
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I don't think you can count on any incoming freshman to give you a lot of production. Now, if it happens, it's great, but the jump from high school basketball to D-I is huge--the season is much longer, and the competition is much, much better in almost all cases.

Some players are able to do it--but every D-I program from the elites all the way on down is looking for those guys, and those players usually wind up in "major" programs. Sometimes programs at the Summit League level can turn over enough rocks to find a diamond in the rough, but those players are the exceptions rather than the norm.

We can hope that we have one of those diamonds in the rough in Donlan, or Broman, or Flatten, or the other freshmen, redshirt or otherwise, but most of the time they take time to develop.

In his first year, Wolters played in 30 games, started 11, had 10.1 points, 3.4 rebounds per game, lead the team in free throws attempted and made, and had an A/TO ratio of over 1, and lead the team in steals, on a team that finished 14-16. That's a diamond in the rough, there.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think it's okay to have some decent expectations for Donlan being that, from everything I've heard, he has performed well during his redshirt year against college upperclassmen in practice.

Obviously practice is different from a game and I don't think people should expect him to be an all-conference performer, but it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to be a contributor.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
        X