2013-14 Prospectus by My Summit League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-14 Prospectus by My Summit League

A very, very early look at the 2013-14 season, featuring capsules for each team in the Summit League.

http://www.mysummitleague.com/an-ear...league-season/

Re: 2013-14 Prospectus by My Summit League

Originally posted by beauspencer View Post
    A very, very early look at the 2013-14 season, featuring capsules for each team in the Summit League.

http://www.mysummitleague.com/an-ear...league-season/
    Thanks for your Summit League updates and analysis throughout the season. They have been enjoyable to read.

One person for the Jacks you might want to keep an eye on for next year is Matt Donlan (6'6" G-F). Coach Nagy has been very high on him throughout his redshirt year.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

The front runner nod has to go to NDSU will all five starters back. Plus Taylor Braun pledge to win it all next year in the press confernce reflects how hungry the Bison are to be the leader. Hopefully the Jacks will provide a challenge, but fourth might be correct. Who knows.

Comment

Thanks for the insight on Donlan.

Comment

I would have put USD higher at the 5 spot. They may be a team nobody wants to play next year w/ their young shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            I would have put USD higher at the 5 spot. They may be a team nobody wants to play next year w/ their young shooters.
            Concerns about their defense and at point guard are real. They should be able to score a bunch.

As far as the Jackrabbits, I like having 3 returning starters that will be seniors. Add in some guys that have some game experience and a lot of practice experience and SDSU could be a contender for the league title again. Going to have to defend like crazy as I am concerned about scoring if outside shots aren't falling. Start hitting 3's, get Marcus and Connor established inside and things could click for SDSU. Its going to be most about playing lock down defense.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I could see Omaha finishing higher than 8th and think they could be as high as 5th next year ahead of USD, IPFW and WIU. They return the majority of their scoring and were 6-4 over their last 10 games with their only losses being to the top 4 teams in the conference.

WIU only returns two starters and two of the losses are big ones in Parks and Clark.

Comment

So, what the common thought is, ... is next year is going to be a dog fight top to bottom.

Comment

I think it breaks down like this, pre-season:

Top Tier: Denver, NDSU

small gap

Next Tier: Oakland

gap

Next Tier: SDSU, USD, IPFW, WIU, UNO.

gap

Last Tier: IUPUI

The middle tier is obviously the most intriguing. I think the order of those five teams could be jumbled up in numerous different ways. I also think that there's a decent chance that one of those teams separates themselves from the group and joins Oakland in pushing NDSU. I also think it's possible that one of those teams drops off and joins IUPUI. Should make for an interesting conference season.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think the Jacks are going to surprise a lot of people next year, who believe that losing Nate and Tony can't be overcome. We will be a different type of team for sure, but not unlike teams that Nagy took to conference championships in D-II. I believe that Marcus is going to be part of that surprise, as will Jake Bittle, for starters. Marcus is smart, a great passer and will score as well. Jake showed me, in his brief appearance in the championship game, that he is just waiting to go off. He will be a more traditional point guard, in a more traditional offense, but I watched his defense, and believe the coaching observations that he is a very good defender, will be seen next year. And who is to say that redshirt freshmen coming into the program, can't be immediately effective if they are good enough. Donlan might well be a surprise to the league. Anyway, will NDSU be the front runner and Denver very likely to be very competitive...sure, but that doesn't blunt my optimism that we are going to be better than a lot of pundits would suggest right now.

Comment

I'd put SDSU somewhere in the middle of next year's pack, with a high upside potential if some of the incoming freshmen turn out to be immediate impact players.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        I could see Omaha finishing higher than 8th and think they could be as high as 5th next year ahead of USD, IPFW and WIU. They return the majority of their scoring and were 6-4 over their last 10 games with their only losses being to the top 4 teams in the conference.

WIU only returns two starters and two of the losses are big ones in Parks and Clark.
                        Again, concerned about their defense. Oakland's biggest liability is defensive consistency as well.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I refuse to get too excited about freshman or redshirt freshman who haven't played a second of college basketball. That way, I have a better chance of being surprised in a good way.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I'd put SDSU somewhere in the middle of next year's pack, with a high upside potential if some of the incoming freshmen turn out to be immediate impact players.
                            I think as the year goes on SDSU will improve dramatically. I also think Dykstra has a shot at being one of the top 3 players in the league next year. He just has to find a way to become more consistent. White and Carlson will both be expected to play bigger roles, and both are very capable of doing so. Bittle is going to be good, very good. You can see the passion when he is on the floor and off. As the season progresses, and as the bench gains experience we could be a very scary team in Sioux Falls.

As for front runners. If DU adjusts to the travel and new environment they have to be the favorite. NDSU is good, very good, but DU is the type of team that could get on a roll. This year's WAC is a good conference. There are very few nights off. They have an excellent coach and this is a team that is used to change (see conference movement). I think the regular season title goes west though I do believe it will be a dog fight between DU and NDSU if Braun stays healthy. I think we are at 4th with a shot at 3rd if some of the younger players step up and surprise us.

Comment

I would also be willing to bet we will see some juco transfers that could make IPFW, IUPUI, and WIU more competitive than they appear they are going to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X