Nagy's Big Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nagy's Big Dance

So here we go again. When does the AJ to "insert big name school here" thread start too.

Yes, Nagy has had success, and yes, he is probably an attractive option for some schools to look at. But it's been beaten to death by those of us that believe in loyalty and security, what Nagy has at SDSU can in many ways outweigh a bigger salary. Job security is a major thing. (insert one year contract argument against here). Jump to a different mid-major, struggle like he did in the early transistion and he's out on his ear and moving his family again. Not an attractive scenario for anyone let alone the one that zooropa describes below.

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    I don't think Nagy would take over a rebuilding project for 3-4x his current salary. I don't think he's wired that way. Maybe he used to be, but I don't think he's there at this point in his career. The sense I get from Nagy, both publicly, and via those who deal with him on a daily basis, is that he appreciates what he has at SDSU.

Maybe more so than those on the outside who say things like 'money talks', without thinking that it's not the only thing doing the talking when you're a middle-aged father of 6 with a decent job and the respect of your community and peers.
    I know chat boards are for rumors, but holy smokes, Nagy and AJ have stuck with this program and until one of them is actually on campus and has held the press conference to accept another job, my belief is they aren't going anywhere (see AJ's previous track record for the need for extra detail on that disclaimer). That being said, if Pam Borton gets canned at Minnesota I know AJ's name will be bantied about plenty by the board members since he is a MN native.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Final Four time is when negiotations frequently take place. There are AD's who arrive with a win or else mandate on their plate, but they usually have candidates lined up to interview. If anything happens this year, this would be a time where open communication with Justin Sell would matter a great deal. I don't think either of our coaches would pull any surprises on the AD. I sense open attitude does prevail at SDSU HPER. I recall back a few years that Nagy was supposely a finalist at Bradley. I was following the Peoria News and messages boards. He did not even get an interview that year. No one on the message board seemed to pull for him either so that was then and this is now. This time around who knows. Hopefully we have both coaches after the Final Four and successful seasons next year.

I do believe both AJ and SN will receives some sort of reward for making the big dance. Its probably in the form of salary bump.
      So until we hear any more things, we still have two good coaches.

Comment

If Nagy struggles for the next 3-5 years, he will likely be out on his ear regardless of if he stays at SDSU or not. That's his profession. String together 3-5 sub 15 win seasons and it matters a lot less how many NCAA tournaments Wolters took him to. Whether you believe that to be true or not, that will be the sentiment of many Jacks fans if we get dominated by NDSU/USD and don't qualify or exit the Summit early. Barring disaster, he gets a 3 year pass - the same as he would get at any other school as a new coach.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          So here we go again. When does the AJ to "insert big name school here" thread start too.

Yes, Nagy has had success, and yes, he is probably an attractive option for some schools to look at. But it's been beaten to death by those of us that believe in loyalty and security, what Nagy has at SDSU can in many ways outweigh a bigger salary. Job security is a major thing. (insert one year contract argument against here). Jump to a different mid-major, struggle like he did in the early transistion and he's out on his ear and moving his family again. Not an attractive scenario for anyone let alone the one that zooropa describes below.

I know chat boards are for rumors, but holy smokes, Nagy and AJ have stuck with this program and until one of them is actually on campus and has held the press conference to accept another job, my belief is they aren't going anywhere (see AJ's previous track record for the need for extra detail on that disclaimer). That being said, if Pam Borton gets canned at Minnesota I know AJ's name will be bantied about plenty by the board members since he is a MN native.
          Let's also not forget that Nagy's current salary (which I believe is around 150k) is a very very good salary for Brookings South Dakota. I would suspect that salary puts him in the top 2-3% of the city. Now he may very well get a job offer that's in the 500k range, but that job is likely in an area where the cost of living is higher. That makes that 500k actually lees than it seems. Now factor in moving your kids and effect that has on them and it's a big change. Nagy would likely have to be floored by an offer to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            I think that the AJ to Minnesota situation will not materialize this year, but this is example of the type of situation that could prove difficult or impossible for one of our coaches to resist. Despite the struggles of the program Borton will not be out this year because the previous AD quietly gave Borton a 2 year extension just before being fired last June. If and when Minnesota does make a change in women's basketball, AJ would be a great candidate and it could be tough for him to pass on the opportunity.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I know it's hard to believe in today's society, but (more) money is not the driving factor for some people.

I don't really know, but I have a feeling the Nagy's probably fit in that category.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

He could leave. He could stay. None of us know! Whooooo!
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  He could leave. He could stay. None of us know! Whooooo!
                  Exactly. I am always amazed at how this thread and its subject comes up again and again. If either coach (or any other coach we have) is given a substantial offer (i.e., more than SDSU can afford based on its mission of providing competitive teams in a multiplicity of sports), and that coach decides to take that offer, so be it...it happens all the time. But there are a number of factors considered by the individuals we are talking about. Both are living in a supportive community (so do you want to go to UMKC and coach if they offer you more money??), are able to recruit great individuals who are competitive at our level, and not take the chances a lot of programs take in order to win at their level, and put yourself in a major win or your out environment that allows little personal time from you and your family. Anybody who knows Nagy well, knows the he has seen first hand what those situations demand. Both he and AJ have families and are entrenched here. What that means to me is that unless a comparable situation arises, where a signficant larger salary is offered, neither is probably looking at leaving right now. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I really wonder why we go this routine all the time. AND if it happens, we will do as we have done in the past, find a coach that will fit our situation and continue the tradition that AJ and Scott have provided us. I have a lot of confidence in Justin Sell, who would do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Exactly. I am always amazed at how this thread and its subject comes up again and again. If either coach (or any other coach we have) is given a substantial offer (i.e., more than SDSU can afford based on its mission of providing competitive teams in a multiplicity of sports), and that coach decides to take that offer, so be it...it happens all the time. But there are a number of factors considered by the individuals we are talking about. Both are living in a supportive community (so do you want to go to UMKC and coach if they offer you more money??), are able to recruit great individuals who are competitive at our level, and not take the chances a lot of programs take in order to win at their level, and put yourself in a major win or your out environment that allows little personal time from you and your family. Anybody who knows Nagy well, knows the he has seen first hand what those situations demand. Both he and AJ have families and are entrenched here. What that means to me is that unless a comparable situation arises, where a signficant larger salary is offered, neither is probably looking at leaving right now. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I really wonder why we go this routine all the time. AND if it happens, we will do as we have done in the past, find a coach that will fit our situation and continue the tradition that AJ and Scott have provided us. I have a lot of confidence in Justin Sell, who would do just that.

Your amazement aside, the purpose of the thread was not to rehash the obvious points you make - i.e., he's a family man, Brookings is a great and reasonably priced place to live, etc., etc. We all know that. The purpose of the thread was to make a case that Coach Nagy is in a different position this year vis a vis the first Big Dance appearance a year ago, to back it up with facts and observations on that point, and to invite others to discuss. It was a specific commentary about a specific moment in Coach Nagy's career, and in our fandom thereof. If you see it as ho-humdrum, don't comment, but it's not fair to say it's an old discussion, because it was not intended as such. Speaking for myself, this is precisely the kind of discussion thread that makes sites like this fun. If we banned speculation and hypothesis and analysis all we would have left are regurgitated insults directed at certain institutions to the north and south.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      Your amazement aside, the purpose of the thread was not to rehash the obvious points you make - i.e., he's a family man, Brookings is a great and reasonably priced place to live, etc., etc. We all know that. The purpose of the thread was to make a case that Coach Nagy is in a different position this year vis a vis the first Big Dance appearance a year ago, to back it up with facts and observations on that point, and to invite others to discuss. It was a specific commentary about a specific moment in Coach Nagy's career, and in our fandom thereof. If you see it as ho-humdrum, don't comment, but it's not fair to say it's an old discussion, because it was not intended as such. Speaking for myself, this is precisely the kind of discussion thread that makes sites like this fun. If we banned speculation and hypothesis and analysis all we would have left are regurgitated insults directed at certain institutions to the north and south.
                      Au contraire...I did make comments...a lot more than was contained in the first sentence. Certainly, most of you remember a thread or comments on this very thing for A. J., even before he left and returned on the same weekend. And I guess, as you suggested, that we all know Coach Nagy is in a different situation, having won two straight Big Dance opportunities...so I guess I should not have restated the obvious, as to why even with the change, I don't think he will be charging off somewhere else right now, except, of course, to provide my speculation, hypothesis and analysis. Oh yes, and AJ has won five straight conference championships, which puts him in a unique situation right now. I do believe, when you have a good coach who is having success, the discussion will always get started every year. I just find myself checking the thread all the time, to see if something concrete has popped up. Not yet.

Comment

I've talked to people who know Nagy and from following the program closely I feel that I have a decent understand the situation, remember what he said when his name came up a couple years ago at I think Northern Illinois. He said he would listen and evaluate the situation, if it came to that. Now he was probably the #5 name of the 5 names that surfaced. So I think its a situation where he would leave if the situation and money was right. When Nate Wolters is leaving your program after taking the team to the Dance 2 years in a row, other jobs become a little more attractive.

Reading between the lines and just guessing, I'd say if Nagy was offered a good job 2-3X salary, in a good situation, that would get him closer to Illinois (where his and his wife are from), he would seriously consider it. I think he would consider the Drake job if offered. Its hard to ignore though that Austin Hanson's role has increased greatly in the program and when he withdrew his name from the Bemidji State job I wondered out loud if Nagy hadn't told Hanson to stay around.

Now I don't think Nagy leaving would be the death to the program, for a couple of reasons. 1st I think Hanson is ready to take over the program, he has recruited well, and does much of the in game coaching, calling sets, etc. Second I think its a good sign of a program when your coach is being mentioned for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I've talked to people who know Nagy
                          I guess you forgot to talk to me. Oh well I really dont count.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            I guess you forgot to talk to me. Oh well I really dont count.
                            What do you think? These aren't great friends or anything just people who have been around the program for a while. Everyone kind of has the same opinion. If its a pay raise, higher job program, closer to his hometown and a good fit he will really consider it. But he isn't going to go to X school for a $50K pay raise.

I've also gotten the impression he would rather get the assistants a raise, get a better budget and have a better home schedule then get a pay raise himself.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              What do you think?
                              Not too much about Nagy. As others have said he looks to be back next year until we hear differently. Until then, I rather think spring and baseball. Winter is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Not too much about Nagy. As others have said he looks to be back next year until we hear differently. Until then, I rather think spring and baseball. Winter is getting old.
                                Can't disagree with baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X