Nagy's Big Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagy's Big Dance

In his post-game last night, Coach Nagy had a very interesting point about the difference between being tense and intense. Then he went on to talk about all the players - Sargent, Kai Williams, Moss, etc. - who had hung with him to build the program back to its rightful place. It just so very much sounded like a valedictory, even if he didn't intend it that way. It made me happy and a little wistful at the same time.

I can't imagine the satisfaction these last two years have brought him. Not many coaches would have hung in as long as he has, and not many universities would have given him the long leash to this moment. That tense/intense comment could have been applied to his situation many times over the Lean Years. And the name-dropping of players in the Lean Years was another case of him teaching, I think. It sounded, in a way, like he was reminding himself that you have to maintain your perspective no matter where you are in the Ws and Ls, and that this has all been one long life lesson for everyone involved. Very much a retrospective moment.

As a result, Jacks' fans have to be realists going into this tournament. Taking this program two years a row to the Big Dance is going to draw even more attention to Coach Nagy, and ostensibly more and better offers. In an interesting way, all the attention on Wolters during the Big Dance last year and during this regular and post season may have taken some of the focus off Nagy's ability to coach and mold a team. A year ago, the chance to coach a Wolters-led team one more year was a real factor going into the tournament. It's no longer there for next season. Just reality.

If the Jacks make some noise, which I just have a feeling they might, the focus will be even brighter on SDSU and not primarily on Wolters this time. The Nagy Buzz will be unavoidable and intense. Jacks fans should not be tense about it; enjoy the moment and count the blessings we've had a leader who has hung in there with us. Not a lot of that in this world any more.

Re: Nagy's Big Dance

Ugh!! A very sober reminder. What Nagy leaves behind, would look attractive to potential replacements. Salary requirements might create a budget crisis though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Ugh!! A very sober reminder. What Nagy leaves behind, would look attractive to potential replacements. Salary requirements might create a budget crisis though.
      Good point, although we do have an assistant coach who knows the lay of the land

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        As a result, Jacks' fans have to be realists going into this tournament. Taking this program two years a row to the Big Dance is going to draw even more attention to Coach Nagy, and ostensibly more and better offers.
        But how many offers would be attractive?

Consider: Any move to another one-bid league is, realistically, a step backward. It's not even a lateral move, given how well he knows this region and this conference. At least in terms of ability to recruit and compete, and I think the ability to compete is a major consideration for Nagy.

And for any multiple bid conference, there is a real question about whether Nagy's family wants him tossed into a situation comparable to the one he was in several years ago. I can't imagine a school at the top of a multi-bid conference hiring Nagy, and a school at the bottom would put Nagy in a rebuilding situation comparable to what he went through here, and that was not just hard on Nagy, that was hard on his whole family.

Then, for what it's worth, there is the 'loyalty' question: SDSU stuck with Nagy.

I mean, you can talk about how money is important, but I don't see Nagy as wired that way. His family has 'enough', and I don't see him trading this job for a worse one in order to make more.

---

Nagy name-checked those guys because they never got to the NCAAs, they never got to cut down nets, and his connection to and respect for those players is (I think) one of the things that trump better money and glitzier digs elsewhere.

I'm not saying Nagy would never consider leaving SDSU. I am saying that he doesn't have a foot out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          But how many offers would be attractive?

Consider: Any move to another one-bid league is, realistically, a step backward. It's not even a lateral move, given how well he knows this region and this conference. At least in terms of ability to recruit and compete, and I think the ability to compete is a major consideration for Nagy.

And for any multiple bid conference, there is a real question about whether Nagy's family wants him tossed into a situation comparable to the one he was in several years ago. I can't imagine a school at the top of a multi-bid conference hiring Nagy, and a school at the bottom would put Nagy in a rebuilding situation comparable to what he went through here, and that was not just hard on Nagy, that was hard on his whole family.

Then, for what it's worth, there is the 'loyalty' question: SDSU stuck with Nagy.

I mean, you can talk about how money is important, but I don't see Nagy as wired that way. His family has 'enough', and I don't see him trading this job for a worse one in order to make more.

---

Nagy name-checked those guys because they never got to the NCAAs, they never got to cut down nets, and his connection to and respect for those players is (I think) one of the things that trump better money and glitzier digs elsewhere.

I'm not saying Nagy would never consider leaving SDSU. I am saying that he doesn't have a foot out the door.
          What you are saying is that he is not Tim Miles, and I agree, but offers are going to start coming in and some will be hard to turn down. Its amazing how much some of these small private schools put into their basketball program including Head Coaching salaries.

Comment

But how many offers would be attractive?Consider: Any move to another one-bid league is, realistically, a step backward. It's not even a lateral move, given how well he knows this region and this conference. At least in terms of ability to recruit and compete, and I think the ability to compete is a major consideration for Nagy.And for any multiple bid conference, there is a real question about whether Nagy's family wants him tossed into a situation comparable to the one he was in several years ago. I can't imagine a school at the top of a multi-bid conference hiring Nagy, and a school at the bottom would put Nagy in a rebuilding situation comparable to what he went through here, and that was not just hard on Nagy, that was hard on his whole family.Then, for what it's worth, there is the 'loyalty' question: SDSU stuck with Nagy.I mean, you can talk about how money is important, but I don't see Nagy as wired that way. His family has 'enough', and I don't see him trading this job for a worse one in order to make more.---Nagy name-checked those guys because they never got to the NCAAs, they never got to cut down nets, and his connection to and respect for those players is (I think) one of the things that trump better money and glitzier digs elsewhere.I'm not saying Nagy would never consider leaving SDSU. I am saying that he doesn't have a foot out the door.
            This is great, but money talks. When the opportunity is there to make 5 times+ what you make in a year for 5 years, it's hard not to leave. Any Illinois schools looking for a coach?
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              When the opportunity is there to make 5 times+ what you make in a year for 5 years
              Pretty sure that kind of an offer is not coming along. Not even if SDSU makes the Sweet 16.

Comment

[QUOTE=zooropa;227444]Pretty sure that kind of an offer is not coming along. Not even if SDSU makes the Sweet 16.[/QUOTE

Based on what? This story says the average salary of the coaches in the 2011 Big Dance made an average of $1.4 million
                http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...analysis_N.htm

Comment

Based on what? This story says the average salary of the coaches in the 2011 Big Dance made an average of $1.4 million
                  There is not a mid-major coach making $1.4 million, what makes you think Nagy is worth $1.4 million?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    There is not a mid-major coach making $1.4 million, what makes you think Nagy is worth $1.4 million?
                    I imagine NoVaJack is talking about getting an offer from a higher school if they reach the Sweet 16, possibly a power 6 team and the reasoning why Nagy could get that contract. Don't quote me on that however.
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

The USA today will run a story with all the tournament coaches salaries just like the story above I'm sure. They do every year. Nagy will be very near the lowest paid

Comment

Pretty sure that kind of an offer is not coming along. Not even if SDSU makes the Sweet 16.
                        You're probably right. But let's say its 3-4x and that makes it around $500,000. My only point is that money talks and for the right price he's gone.

Edit: I forgot to add that I don't think he's going anywhere either.
                        Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

This story says the average salary of the coaches in the 2011 Big Dance made an average of $1.4 million
                          I'd be much more interested in seeing the *median* salary. After all, if two people are earning $30k a year, and a third guy is making $940,000, the average salary is $333,333.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            You're probably right. But let's say its 3-4x and that makes it around $500,000. My only point is that money talks and for the right price he's gone.
                            I don't think Nagy would take over a rebuilding project for 3-4x his current salary. I don't think he's wired that way. Maybe he used to be, but I don't think he's there at this point in his career. The sense I get from Nagy, both publicly, and via those who deal with him on a daily basis, is that he appreciates what he has at SDSU.

Maybe more so than those on the outside who say things like 'money talks', without thinking that it's not the only thing doing the talking when you're a middle-aged father of 6 with a decent job and the respect of your community and peers.

Comment

heard there was a rumor that the College of Cardinals had selected the new Pope on Tuesday night but waited to announce on Wed because they were watching the Jacks play. They all agreed that because of the miracle that Nagy pulled when the Jacks went through transition from worst to first that the new Popes name should be Pope Nagy the first. Pope Francis 1 ultimately picked that name because he did not want to detract from Coach Nagys building celebrity. Rumors of making Nate a saint were also quashed because right now he is on a higher level.

Comment

Working...
                              X