• Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I agree with Disco
    Don't give me too much momentum

Comment

I'm not knocking a recruit, all what I'm getting at is I've evaluated recruits in the past and been horribly wrong. I thought Nate Wolters would be a get me by, pass 1st point guard. I've thought others would be complete game changers. And I'm not the only one, I've seen post from guys who are way closer to recruits and AAU/club basketball make similar projections

When it comes to evaluating prospects I look at a few things

1. Size for position. Reed has that
      2. Speed/quickness- I have no clue, at 2A Iowa, it doesn't take much quickness to look good. His AAU numbers make me think he has something, but watch AAU ball and tell me what type of defense they generally play?
      3. Shot- looks good, but again, against what type of defense?
      4. personal makeup- well I haven't read any criminal reports or heard any dirt on the guy, which is good, because its not terribly hard to find out if a guy is hated by his hometown (as some recruits are).

Its just I hear things like if the coaches are happy, he must be good. Or if so and so offered he must be good. I'm a baseball guy, and recruits are similar to prospects in MLB. 30% are as good or better then advertised 20% are solid contributors, 20% contribute and 30% flame out. And generally the guy who signs them believe they will be the ones who are as good or better than advertised. Its just a crap shoot. I hope he is the 30% who exceeds expectation (and who has high expectations)
      Last edited by joeboo22; 08-18-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I'm not knocking a recruit, all what I'm getting at is I've evaluated recruits in the past and been horribly wrong. I thought Nate Wolters would be a get me by, pass 1st point guard. I've thought others would be complete game changers. And I'm not the only one, I've seen post from guys who are way closer to recruits and AAU/club basketball make similar projectionsWhen it comes to evaluating prospects I look at a few things1. Size for position. Reed has that2. Speed/quickness- I have no clue, at 2A Iowa, it doesn't take much quickness to look good. His AAU numbers make me think he has something, but watch AAU ball and tell me what type of defense they generally play?3. Shot- looks good, but again, against what type of defense?4. personal makeup- well I haven't read any criminal reports or heard any dirt on the guy, which is good, because its not terribly hard to find out if a guy is hated by his hometown (as some recruits are). Its just I hear things like if the coaches are happy, he must be good. Or if so and so offered he must be good. I'm a baseball guy, and recruits are similar to prospects in MLB. 30% are as good or better then advertised 20% are solid contributors, 20% contribute and 30% flame out. And generally the guy who signs them believe they will be the ones who are as good or better than advertised. Its just a crap shoot. I hope he is the 30% who exceeds expectation (and who has high expectations)
        This is all speculation and to be honest...well I'm not going to say. I'll probably get banned.

When I said that the coaches are happy, it means they are really excited/pumped for this recruit. I guess I don't know what else to say. Getting a kid in early August to verbal is a good thing. Be worried about those late spring signings (even though they've worked out in the recent past for State).
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

For those questioning the level of competition in Iowa 2A basketball - a couple of current Jacks named Dykstra and Heemstra played 1A Iowa ball. Jusy sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            For those questioning the level of competition in Iowa 2A basketball - a couple of current Jacks named Dykstra and Heemstra played 1A Iowa ball. Jusy sayin...
            Tellinghuisen's AAU team also produced Dykstra,Heemstra, Clint Sargent, and a ton of D1 talent over the years.

Comment

Seeing the other offers the kid had/has makes me feel pretty good he was a good get.

I would be concerned if his other offers were the likes of Augie, SW MN State, Mankato, Ect.

Comparing schools who have offered isn't perfect, but I have to think it's usually a pretty good indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Seeing the other offers the kid had/has makes me feel pretty good he was a good get.

I would be concerned if his other offers were the likes of Augie, SW MN State, Mankato, Ect.

Comparing schools who have offered isn't perfect, but I have to think it's usually a pretty good indicator.
                Agree completely

Comment

I watched some of the video clips from verbalcommits.com on Reed and he looks like a slower/taller version of Nate. He is long, uses both hands to handle the ball, varies his speed to set up the defender, has a relatively quick jump shot off the dribble, outstanding court vision, plays the passing lanes very well to get steals, and has outstanding length to shoot over opponents. He would need to be the same type of gym rat that Nate is to develop the ball handling needed to be an effective point. At times he dribbles the ball high which obviously slows him down during some ball handling situations, but he does lower his head and hips when he wants to drive and it reminds me of Nate on his change of speed.

Let's face it, we will never have Nate again. However, it will be fun to watch the next level of Jackrabbit talent develop and leave their signature on the program. This kid looks good and I hope the Hawkeyes don't steal him.

According to DrakeNation, they had big time interest in this kid. Luke Feddersen tweeted "First time I've EVER seen Drake go this hard in-state." It's pretty amazing to see the focus on Iowa kids.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    I watched some of the video clips from verbalcommits.com on Reed and he looks like a slower/taller version of Nate. He is long, uses both hands to handle the ball, varies his speed to set up the defender, has a relatively quick jump shot off the dribble, outstanding court vision, plays the passing lanes very well to get steals, and has outstanding length to shoot over opponents. He would need to be the same type of gym rat that Nate is to develop the ball handling needed to be an effective point. At times he dribbles the ball high which obviously slows him down during some ball handling situations, but he does lower his head and hips when he wants to drive and it reminds me of Nate on his change of speed.

Let's face it, we will never have Nate again. However, it will be fun to watch the next level of Jackrabbit talent develop and leave their signature on the program. This kid looks good and I hope the Hawkeyes don't steal him.

According to DrakeNation, they had big time interest in this kid. Luke Feddersen tweeted "First time I've EVER seen Drake go this hard in-state." It's pretty amazing to see the focus on Iowa kids.
                    speaking of the verbalcommits.com website, i was looking over the other rosters for the teams in the summit and its going to be an interesting year. a lot of teams like us are stacked with several expereinced older players, us, NDSU and others should be interesting year. I guess the big thing that i couldnt recall and its a little bit of thread drift is the site said Steve Tecker had a career ending injury. I guess i dont recall hearing that. So he wont be a senior on the team this coming year.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Re: 2014 Recruits

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I guess the big thing that i couldnt recall and its a little bit of thread drift is the site said Steve Tecker had a career ending injury. I guess i dont recall hearing that. So he wont be a senior on the team this coming year.
                      Nagging hip(s) injury.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        speaking of the verbalcommits.com website, i was looking over the other rosters for the teams in the summit and its going to be an interesting year. a lot of teams like us are stacked with several expereinced older players, us, NDSU and others should be interesting year. I guess the big thing that i couldnt recall and its a little bit of thread drift is the site said Steve Tecker had a career ending injury. I guess i dont recall hearing that. So he wont be a senior on the team this coming year.
                        Same hip injury that affected him in high school and all 3 years at USD. He had multiple surgeries and intense rehab but just couldn't get things stable enough to allow him to compete. Too bad, good player with a great work ethic.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Top 100 Hoops interview with recruit Ian Theisen (6'9" center from Osseo, MN).
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            He doesn't seem too interested in State in that interview. It will be interesting to see everything play out in the next couple months. 3 more to go!
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys about Tecker, I couldnt remember that and thats probably why I always was wondering when he would going to take on a bigger role at USD but that probably would be why.

How many scholarships are the coaches looking to fill for the 2014 recruits? 4?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                He doesn't seem too interested in State in that interview. It will be interesting to see everything play out in the next couple months. 3 more to go!
                                Yah, that's what I thought, but at the same time he hasn't taken any offical visits and didn't seem to know much about any other school besides Drake (who he hasn't even done a visit with). His high school teammate Bidgeport Tussler is now playing for the Jacks football team, so maybe he'll help sway Ian to give SDSU a closer look.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X