X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Recruits

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Nate "Tiny" Archibald ?
    Yep tiny Nate. Also later you had Spud Webb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pykLK_CUs

Comment

List of small NBA guards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iation_history

Nate "Tiny" Archibald was 6'1".

Comment

Muggsy Boggs was 5'-3" and played in the NBA for quite a few years.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Nate "Tiny" Archibald ?
          Yes that's who I was thinking of and of course Spud Webb who came later. I just checked a bio on Nate and he is 6'1" so might be a little big for a comparison for Carr. Maybe Spud Webb would fit better.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            List of small NBA guards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iation_history

Nate "Tiny" Archibald was 6'1".
            Did not see your post and I agree, might not be a good comparison. None-the-less, I like what I see on the Carr video. He would definitely bring some fans to their feet at Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              According to Evan Flood of wisconsin247sports.com's twitter page C.J. Carr a PG out of Rock Island Illinois has an offer from SDSUhttp://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...J.-Carr-142281he is undersized some here is a video http://iaelites.com/videos/c-j-carr-...ity-elite-mix/
              Definitely small. He's quick, slick with the ball, and not afraid to slash to the rim (net?). I liked what I saw offensively, in spite of his size. I have to wonder how he would handle guarding someone 8" taller though. I'm sure the coaches feel comfortable with that.

Comment

Laughing at the comparison to all time NBA greats. Nate Archibald? Mugsy Bogues played for 14 years in the NBA, and we just had our first player drafted. (Well, sort of)

Of course it's possible to play basketball in college, in the Summit League, and be smaller than average.

Comment

I don't like it at all (insert that we are supposed to trust the coaching staff that brought us to two straight NCAA tournaments, here [and then insert that the coach that brought us the player that brought us to two straight NCAA tournaments just left, here]). I hate, hate, hate small guards.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    I don't like it at all (insert that we are supposed to trust the coaching staff that brought us to two straight NCAA tournaments, here [and then insert that the coach that brought us the player that brought us to two straight NCAA tournaments just left, here]). I hate, hate, hate small guards.
                    Why not blame Krabbenhoft? It was probably one of his new ideas that he brought here.

Comment

I don't like small guards in the pros at all unless they are quick like Lawson but in college in the Summit League at that it's more like meh for me. My only prerequisites are that is the fastest or one of fastest on court, has deep range and can finish at the rim. If they can do those three things then I am okay with small guards in college.
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        I don't like small guards in the pros at all unless they are quick like Lawson but in college in the Summit League at that it's more like meh for me. My only prerequisites are that is the fastest or one of fastest on court, has deep range and can finish at the rim. If they can do those three things then I am okay with small guards in college.
                        There are countless little guards who would be fast enough, have deep range, and finish at the rim. Most of them end up a liability on defense (not necessarily on ball defense, but off ball, team defense). Louie Krogma comes to mind.

The advantage of big guards is their ability to defend and rebound. Their extra length provides an advantage for an SDSU without traditional 6'10" post players.

Given the choice, I would pick tall and long guards. Otherwise, its best player available.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          There are countless little guards who would be fast enough, have deep range, and finish at the rim. Most of them end up a liability on defense (not necessarily on ball defense, but off ball, team defense). Louie Krogma comes to mind.

The advantage of big guards is their ability to defend and rebound. Their extra length provides an advantage for an SDSU without traditional 6'10" post players.

Given the choice, I would pick tall and long guards. Otherwise, its best player available.
                          Krogman wasnt very fast though for being short IMO. How tall was Siva at louisville? he seemed short but his quickness made him for it. Palarca was well under 6 wasnt he and i felt like it was a loss when he left here. Some times being short has its advantages when drying to drive or go for steals or lose balls with taller or slower guards.

Lets face it if we had a back up guard the last few years who could get out and push the offense and get shooters set because he can control the ball with out needing others to help him out. a player like that would have been a great addition.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't like short off-guards, but point guard is a little different.

The reason for this is on the defense end. Shooting guards have to have some length in order to effectively contest other quality shooters, while a point guard's defensive assignment usually is the opposing team's primary ball handler. It is simple physics, really. You shoot the ball above your shoulders while you dribble the ball below your waist. If the shorter player has a quickness advantage and good anticipation skills, they can really bother someone who is trying to advance the ball off the dribble.

Obviously it's nice to be a 6'4" point guard, but there are some advantages to having a low center of gravity as well. Leverage and a shorter dribble are a couple of them.

Ultimately, what I look for in terms of a good point guard is ballhandling, decision-making, and not being a liability in others facets of the game (Actually, I don't like players at any position who are a liability at something they are required to do, Hence, not liking short off-guards).

In terms of Mr. Carr, I did like what I saw on the videos. Obviously, highlights can be deceiving, but he seemed to be a kid with the quickness and the desire to compete at the DI level. He also appears to play with a chip on his shoulder, which I like. Probably because he's tired of people telling him he's too short to play college basketball
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Louie Krogman was not one of quickest guys on the court. Kemo said it right, short pgs are different than undersized 2 guards as they are a totally different defensive assignment. Also, I don't think too many tall point guards will be taking shorter pgs in the paint in the Summit League very much to take advantage of the height difference.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                Louie Krogman was not one of quickest guys on the court. Kemo said it right, short pgs are different than undersized 2 guards as they are a totally different defensive assignment. Also, I don't think too many tall point guards will be taking shorter pgs in the paint in the Summit League very much to take advantage of the height difference.
                                Louie sucked.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X