Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Butler game

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
    Patience.... Patience...... Patience.......
    Amen.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Does anyone know anything about McKenzie Casey? What high school did he play at? Was he heavily recruited? What kind of a high school career did he have?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
        Does anyone know anything about McKenzie Casey?  What high school did he play at?  Was he heavily recruited?  What kind of a high school career did he have?
        He want to Red Cloud HS. He was not heavily recruited but Coach Nagy is high on him. Maybe Mike H can tell us more about his HS career.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I was at tonight's game. Sat right behind our bench. Clearly, we were intimidated out of the gate. Nagy used the first timeout to beg somebody to shoot. Definitely a difference in athleticism. That said, I thought our defense gave Butler some problems. They had to throw up several shots as the shot clock ran down. We forced them to call timeout on a couple of traps and they had a 5 sec call on an inbounds play. But when they did work it for an open shot, it seemed like everything went in. I haven't seen any stats, but Butler had to have outshot us by a ton.

As well as I thought our guards played D, we sure didn't get much O. As a group, they didn't get of more than just a few outside shots. With no outside threat from our guards, it's tough to do much inside. I was impressed with Mackensie Casey. Steve Holdren's the real deal.

Cool place to see a game - imagine The Barn about three, maybe four, times bigger. There were a decent number of Jacks fans at the game. I talked to a couple who drove about 4 hours over from Ohio. It will be interesting to see how we come out on Sunday in NYC.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

So wish I could have been there. One day I hope I can travel with this team on DI road trips, fully anticipate I will. Keep working hard Jacks, things will come around as they always do.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One thing about a young team, they will get a lot better each and every game. They will surprise some people yet! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go Jacks!

Comment

I know when Butler returns to Frost Arena next year we will have more than 2000 people in the seats!! I'm pretty sure I heard Steve Emming announce that attendance.

Comment

M. Casey nearly averaged a triple double last year. He never played in a state tourny and coming from the reservation didn't get much attention. I'll tell you one thing, kids can play ball on the rez. Last year I worked with a young man that could flat out play . His style would have fit better with the And1 streetball team though 8) Just very limited exposure and opportunity for them :-/ As Nagy said having him on the team is great for Native Americans in S.D. ;D

Comment

Here's the Indianapolis Star article about the game:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/196308-3898-036.html

The attendance was 3,596.

Comment

Our football team started off the year losing 52-0 and I think we can all agree that their season turned out alright. Let's let Nagy and the team find their chemistry and see how it plays out. Plus, they have Matt Wilber as an assistant coach. How can they lose? (Shameless plug for my cousin.)
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I played basketball and baseball against Wilbur in High School. I think he put up close to 30 on me :'( Guess that's why he played college ball and I didn't He was one of the nicest guys I ever played against, always smiling and having a good time, glad he's on our team now.

Comment

Matt Wilber put up about 30 on a lot of guys! You are right, he is a great guy that will do really well for SDSU's staff. He also is one of the few guys I know that redshirted in both high school and college . One of his years in high school there were 7 kids on the team in Dell Rapids that went on to play college ball, and the best we could mange was one fifth place finish at the state tourney. By the time he was a senior he was about all we had.

Comment

Texas, attendance was fairly low due to many students going home for break and also due to the fact that it was such a low profile game. More people would have been nice, but i can understand why peopl would not go

Comment

You gotta take the good with the bad. Here are highlights of the Argus Story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article2.shtml

Butler thrashes Jacks
                              Chris Solari
                              csolari@argusleader.com

published: 11/20/2004

Nervous SDSU men fall behind in opening half

INDIANAPOLIS - It doesn't take long to notice some glaring differences between Division I basketball and its second-tier cousin.

Quicker dribblers. Bigger bodies. Stronger rebounders. Devastating dunks.

And then there are the "Horizon League Champions" and "Sweet 16" banners up in the Hinkle Fieldhouse rafters. Those did as much to shake South Dakota State's psyche in Friday's 80-52 loss to Butler University as any of the physical disparities.

If anyone harbored dreams that SDSU would experience status quo men's basketball success with its move to Division I, those aspirations were shattered Friday night. The Bulldogs used all of the trappings of a mid-major power to its advantage, racing out to a 16-2 lead to spoil the jittery Jackrabbits' D-I debut.

"I always tell my guys it's so important how you start a game," SDSU coach Scott Nagy said. "We were so nervous, it was absolutely ridiculous. There's no reason for it, but our kids were nervous." . . .

For the most part, Friday's contest looked a lot more like a varsity-JV scrimmage than a major-college battle. With Andy Kleinjan sidelined 4-to-6 weeks with a stress fracture in his foot, SDSU shuffled just eight players in and out of the game, five of them freshmen or sophomores.

Meanwhile, Butler had a handful of veteran players back from a team that went 27-6 and made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament two years ago.

"I don't think we came out and played to our capability right away," said Holdren. "For a lot of guys, they've been playing Division II here for a while. To come out and play Division I, not many guys on our team have that type of experience, or anything close to it. It's kind of different for us." . . .

"The passing is why we were shooting it so well," Butler coach Todd Lickliter said. "We were getting good looks."

When the lineups were announced before tipoff, each SDSU player trotted out with a smile. As the pep band played behind them, the names of Luke Geiver, Brady Hokenson, Beran, Michael Loney and Holdren went into the books as the Jackrabbits' pioneering starters.

The Bulldogs won the tip and quickly established their methodical halfcourt offense and around-the-arc passing against SDSU's trapping zone. Quick-handed guards Avery Sheets, Bruce Horan and A.J. Graves penetrated the lane with two- and three-move dribble drives that often left Jackrabbit defenders on their heels.

"We just got beat physically. There's no doubt about that," senior guard Hokenson said. "We just came in here playing weak in the first half, and they jumped on us in a hurry. It was an uphill battle from there."

The Bulldogs shot 52 percent in the opening period to SDSU's 24 percent. After pulling within nine at 24-15, SDSU went scoreless for the final 5:49 of the half. Butler scored the final 12 points of the period and led 36-15 at the break.

"We were broke in the first half," Beran said.

Early second-half 3-pointers by Jackrabbit forwards Holdren and Joe Green helped lift SDSU back to within 16 before Butler pulled away again, stretching its lead to as many as 32 before trotting out the depths of Lickliter's bench.

Green finished with 12 points off the bench.

There were some positives the Jackrabbits can build upon leading into Sunday's game at Manhattan, which made it to the second round of last year's NCAA Tournament. SDSU knotted the rebounding total at 32-32 and led that category for most of the game, finishing with an 11-8 edge on the offensive boards. Nagy's squad only turned the ball over 14 times with its inexperienced guards.

Yet, the Jackrabbits know there's still a long way to go.

"We have to pull together a little bit and make sure we don't take a step back," said Beran, who had cotton plugging the bloody nose he suffered in the second half.

Fight on Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

Do you still believe Manhatten would destroy Butler? Just wondering?

Comment

Working...
                                X