X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPFW

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=206275036

Re: IPFW

Hopefully the team does not go into this FW game with one eye on Oakland. The first matchup of these two teams was an ugly battle in the first half (SDSU led 34-31 at halftime) and then opened up in the second. I don't want to find out if a flat start like that will result in a win on the road.

IPFW is one of those teams that can rise up and surprise people, then go right back to stinking it up. In their last three home games they beat IUPUI in OT (not good), lost to KC (definitely not good), and then took WIU right down to the wire (lost by only 3). Hopefully we control Frank Gaines and keep them from getting any spark.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      Hopefully the team does not go into this FW game with one eye on Oakland. The first matchup of these two teams was an ugly battle in the first half (SDSU led 34-31 at halftime) and then opened up in the second. I don't want to find out if a flat start like that will result in a win on the road.

IPFW is one of those teams that can rise up and surprise people, then go right back to stinking it up. In their last three home games they beat IUPUI in OT (not good), lost to KC (definitely not good), and then took WIU right down to the wire (lost by only 3). Hopefully we control Frank Gaines and keep them from getting any spark.
      Agree, this is a virtual must win if SDSU wants a top 2 seed. Gaines is legit and the supporting cast can step up. With our short bench and dependence on the 3-point shot stranger things have happened. I'll be listening on WNAX.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Agree, this is a virtual must win if SDSU wants a top 2 seed. Gaines is legit and the supporting cast can step up. With our short bench and dependence on the 3-point shot stranger things have happened. I'll be listening on WNAX.
        Nagy said on the Jackrabbit Insider that their focus all week will be on IPFW and then Friday they will focus on Oakland. Makes me a little nervous they may not be prepared for Oakland, but less concerned about a let down at IPFW.

Also on the show he commented about the bench play against UMKC. Stated he may have learned a lesson about our bench. Makes me think he may try to utilize it a little more in the future.

Comment

Obligatory "I Hate IPFW" comment.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Nagy said on the Jackrabbit Insider that their focus all week will be on IPFW and then Friday they will focus on Oakland. Makes me a little nervous they may not be prepared for Oakland, but less concerned about a let down at IPFW.

Also on the show he commented about the bench play against UMKC. Stated he may have learned a lesson about our bench. Makes me think he may try to utilize it a little more in the future.
            It may a bit simplistic point of view, but I would plan on the Jacks playing a smothering man to man defense in both games. Brayden could draw the offensive weapon from either team. Chad will continue to improve his defense and get some help when he needs. Then I would expect Nate to run the offense as efficiently as he can. These home teams will need to figure out how to get shots and hold down the transition game by the Jacks. We will find the level of intensity return that has been to a few road games already this year. Go Jacks.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              It may a bit simplistic point of view, but I would plan on the Jacks playing a smothering man to man defense in both games. Brayden could draw the offensive weapon from either team.
              I think this is the plan every game...
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                I think this is the plan every game...
                Executing that plan has been the problem. Refer to USD road game and several of the non-conference tilts.

This is another huge game and it is my impression that our veteran guys realize the absolute importance of every game and every minute of every game at this point in the season. SDSU is a seasoned, veteran team that understands its strengths and weaknesses and with proper coaching and guidance can expose the weaknesses of other teams. I have a very good feeling about the way SDSU is playing right now and would not be the least bit surprised to see the Jackrabbits run the table and win the conference title outright. Need Oakland to knock off NDSU tomorrow night and I think that will happen.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Executing that plan has been the problem. Refer to USD road game and several of the non-conference tilts.

This is another huge game and it is my impression that our veteran guys realize the absolute importance of every game and every minute of every game at this point in the season. SDSU is a seasoned, veteran team that understands its strengths and weaknesses and with proper coaching and guidance can expose the weaknesses of other teams. I have a very good feeling about the way SDSU is playing right now and would not be the least bit surprised to see the Jackrabbits run the table and win the conference title outright. Need Oakland to knock off NDSU tomorrow night and I think that will happen.
                  Doesn't matter what NDSU does as long as SDSU keeps on winning. SDSU would have the tie-breaker over NDSU if SDSU wins out because of the two wins over WIU while NDSU has a loss to them. Best case for SDSU is for both SDSU/NDSU to win out and WIU to win every game except the SDSU/NDSU road games. SDSU would finish with #1 seed and NDSU would likely end up around a #55 RPI, which would add to SDSU's resume should they make it to the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Doesn't matter what NDSU does as long as SDSU keeps on winning. SDSU would have the tie-breaker over NDSU if SDSU wins out because of the two wins over WIU while NDSU has a loss to them. Best case for SDSU is for both SDSU/NDSU to win out and WIU to win every game except the SDSU/NDSU road games. SDSU would finish with #1 seed and NDSU would likely end up around a #55 RPI, which would add to SDSU's resume should they make it to the NCAA tourney.
                    For SDSU to win the conference outright, NDSU needs to lose at least one more game otherwise we would be co-champions with NDSU. No tie-breaker for regular season conference title.

Tie-breakers are only for tournament seeding purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Correct but that includes some bigger assumptions than I'm willing to make at this time. Having the #1 or #2 seed is the same in my mind. Our best path towards that is for either NDSU or WIU to have more losses than us. Therefore, I'll be cheering for OU tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        For SDSU to win the conference outright, NDSU needs to lose at least one more game otherwise we would be co-champions with NDSU. No tie-breaker for regular season conference title.

Tie-breakers are only for tournament seeding purposes.
                        What team would get the NIT automatic qualifier then? Regular season champs get an automatic berth to the NIT tourney....

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          What team would get the NIT automatic qualifier then? Regular season champs get an automatic berth to the NIT tourney....
                          NDSU because the Jackrabbits will be going to the big dance.

I suppose the NIT has a system to break the tie if the above doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                            It goes to the #1 seed. That said if both win out, I don't think getting into the NIT is a concern.

I do agree with the other poster, both schools running the table and playing in the Summit title game is by far what is best for the league. Whoever wins that title game could be looking at a 12 seed. The loser would be in the NIT no matter what.

I like the Leathernecks and coach Mo, but WIU really hurt the league with their schedule. We should have three top 100 teams right now and they could have a much better bracketbuster game at home.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                              It goes to the #1 seed. That said if both win out, I don't think getting into the NIT is a concern.

I do agree with the other poster, both schools running the table and playing in the Summit title game is by far what is best for the league. Whoever wins that title game could be looking at a 12 seed. The loser would be in the NIT no matter what.

I like the Leathernecks and coach Mo, but WIU really hurt the league with their schedule. We should have three top 100 teams right now and they could have a much better bracketbuster game at home.
                              Agree, excellent points. I would love to see the xDSU's as 1 and 2 seed and even better if they match-up in the title game with Braun on the court.

Comment

Working...
                              X