Mayville St. game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayville St. game

Fortunate enough to have Wednesday and remainder of the week off. Plan to be in Brookings Wednesday night for the "big" game. Good opportunity to get some pictures of the kids with the rabbit and maybe even mingle with the players and coaches. I suspect attendance will be minimal with holiday break and the name of the opponent.

Anyone else planning to attend? If so, perhaps an after game gathering at a local watering hole should be arranged. Not expecting too many of you to be in town Wendesday night, but if so, let me know.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Mayville St. game

I will be at Frost. Maybe Cubby's after the game. I will need to put my son to bed after the game but I would love to meet some more people from the board.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Here is the Mayville St. Basketball web site address, for those who want to know more about the Comets.

http://www.masu.nodak.edu/athletics/mens_basketball.cfm

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Comets! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        I will be at Frost.  Maybe Cubby's after the game.  I will need to put my son to bed after the game but I would love to meet some more people from the board.

Go State!  ;D
        Same here, I would have to put both the girls down but with the game beginning at 7:00 pm that still leaves plenty of time for a few beers and conversation. God knows my in-laws don't want to put up with me any more than they have to so they'll be happy to have me out of the house.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

My wife and I will also be at the game. Cubby's would be a great choice.

GO JACKS
          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I think 3 qualifies as a quorum. Cubby's it is. Please bring any and all family members that would be interested. Shouldn't be any trouble finding a table given the holiday break.

Looking forward to seeing people at Frost and gathering after the game.

Comment

I'm in - I'll be coming in from Dallas that day but should be able to make it in time for a couple of refreshments at Cubbys after the game (and before the game for that matter).

Comment

The Comets have 27 kids on their roster!!  Is there any chance we could borrow a couple to help out with practice??

Comment

Will be interested to hear from those of you on the board who have not seen the Jacks play this year and your comments about this years version of the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    Will be interested to hear from those of you on the board who have not seen the Jacks play  this year and your comments about this years version of the Jacks.
                    I am looking forward to seeing the new editions especially Holdren and Casey. I'm still not clear on the status of Gilbert and Cadwell and I know nothing about Dewaard or Lundvall.

I've seen what Green and Beran can do and I have been impressed, especially with Beran. Green's injury prevented me from getting a good feel for his ability as an inside player and defender.

Geiver, DeJong, Hokenson, and Kleinjan are mediocre NCC players at best. No one can convince me otherwise. They are role players who have always been used to spell the starters when needed. No reason to expect them to be anything else.

I have spoken with several people with excellent basketball knowledge who have seen the Jacks in person and they agree with Nagy. This team has the least talent and experience (relatively speaking) of any team since the beginning of the Nagy era.

No disrespect intended just what I have been told. Lack of talent and experince does not automatically mean a bad team, but it makes it harder to put a good team on the court every night. Remember, the line-up was suppose to look like this:

1 Andy Moeller
                    2 Giever or Holdren
                    3 Green and/or Wenig
                    4 Beran (Jones)
                    5 Jones (Beran)

That leaves DeJong and Loney as frontcourt bench players and Kleinjan, Casey, and Hokenson rotating in the backcourt. The current team is not even close in talent or experience to the line-up above. I'm not living in the past just asking people to temper their expectations and gage them on the basis of the current team.

Looking forward to the inagural season at DI, I think its going to be a matter of survival.

Comment

JackMD you have summed up the current situation of the Jacks IMO better than anyone. I think we have some good young players in which too build around. The older senior players who have been role players throughout their career have been thrust into starting positions at the DI level and are going to have a hard time competing. Gilbert and Cadwell are very gifted athletes who will benefit from a redshirt year to hone their skills and get stronger. They clearly could have made this a better team but for the longterm it is the right move. I wished we would have had the luxury to reshirt Casey and Holdren. NDSU has redshirted their entire talented freshman class. With a couple of more additions to the two big kids we have coming in next year we should be very competitive the next couple of years. Let's make sure we keep our expectations reasonable and continue to compete the best we can against the DI teams and dominate the DII teams. The Landon Scott ordeal ( couldn't compete) really hurt our depth at guard and we need to address this asap. I believe his scholarship counts this year and maybe next?  

Comment

There were some questions on this thread about the status of players. Andre Gilbert, Matt Cadwell & Jake Wenig (broken foot) will red shirt. Andy Kleinjan is out for a while (stress fracture). I have not seen Shay Lundvall since midnight madness. Next year there are rumors that the two post players will be red shirted.

Make no mistake about it Nagy is thinking about the future of the program. This year we will take our share of up's and down's. Next year will show great improvement. Year three we should have the talent to really make a statement.

Comment

11/24/2004
                          SDSU Defeats Mayville For First Victory

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State went on a19-0 run early in the second half and the Jackrabbits went on to defeat Mayville State 87-51 in non-conference men's basketball Wednesday night at Frost Arena.

SDSU led 34-24 at halftime and was ahead 38-30 when the run started on a basket by Michael Loney. It ended when Joe Green scored to make it 57-30 with 12:02 to play.

Freshman Steve Holdren, Champaign, IL, led the Jacks with 22 points while Loney, another freshman, scored 15 and sophomore Ben Beran 13.

It was the home opener for the Jacks, who are now 1-2 and will play at Illinois Chicago Saturday. Mayville State is now 3-2.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 87, MAYVILLE STATE (N.D.) 51
                          MAYVILLE STATE (N.D.) (3-2)
                          John Feggo 6-13 0-0 15; Travis Janich 3-7 0-0 8; Alexandros Anthis 2-5 2-2
                          6; Curt Hong 2-4 0-0 5; Zack Alvidrez 2-3 0-0 5; Archie Witherspoon 2-6 0-0
                          4; Gilby Sanchez 1-6 0-0 2; Stephen Guse 1-2 0-0 2; Scott Theis 1-7 0-0 2;
                          Justin Skjerven 1-3 0-0 2; Christopher Reinhart 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 21-58 2-2

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (1-2)
                          Steve Holdren 9-15 2-3 22; Michael Loney 5-8 5-5 15; Ben Beran 6-11 1-2 13;
                          Mackenzie Casey 4-8 0-0 9; Joe Green 4-9 0-0 8; Jared DeJong 4-10 0-2 8;
                          Luke Geiver 3-6 0-0 6; Brady Hokenson 2-3 1-2 6; Ben DeWaard 0-2 0-0 0.
                          Totals 37-72 9-14 87.

Mayville State (N.D.)......... 24 27 - 51
                          South Dakota State............ 34 53 - 87

FG% - MSU .362, SDSU 51.4. 3-pt FG -MSU 7-28 (Feggo 3-8; Janich 2-5; Hong 1-3; Alvidrez 1-1; Theis 0-3; Skjerven 0-1; Reinhart 0-2; Sanchez 0-5), SDSU 4-11 (Holdren 2-2; Casey 1-4; Hokenson 1-2; Geiver 0-1; DeWaard 0-1; Beran 0-1). Rebounds – MSY 28 (Alvidrez 4), SDSU 49 (Beran 9, Holdren 8, Loney 8). Fouls – MSU 14, SDSU 8. Fouled out--None. Assists-MSU 9 (Guse 2; Sanchez 2), SDSU 19 (Casey 5;DeJong 5). Steals – MSU 6 (Feggo 2), SDSU 11 (Beran 3). Blocked shots – MSU 5 (Theis 3), SDSU 4 (Beran, Hokenson, Green, Loney). Turnovers- MSU 16, SDSU 9. A-

http://web.sdstate.edu/users/WHPR/jackmb03.htm

Any report from those who were in attendance?

Comment

What was the attendance?

Comment

Here is the Argus story in which the headline reads Wayne St.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article3.shtml

Comment

Working...
                              X