University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

Another story about last night's game.  I found one thing in it that made me feel a little better.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...120104adb.html

Balanced Attack Leads Panthers Past Jacks

UWM pounds SDSU for fourth-straight win  

Dec. 1, 2004

MILWAUKEE - Ed McCants scored 19 points to lead five Panthers in double figures as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee moved to 4-0 for the first time in 12 years with an 89-54 win over South Dakota State Wednesday night at the U.S. Cellular Arena.  .  .  .

UWM is off to its best start since the 1992-93 season, when it began the year 8-0. The Panthers have also won their first four games by an average of more than 34 points per game.  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Its another lesson, and I hope we can keep our chin up and thats about all I can say. Did not listen on the internet, but I appreciate everyone filling me in on what happened. I like what Milwaukee Jack said about Coach Nagy, coaching to the end. I think Coach Nagy knows that is what he has to do to get us through this first season. These little bunnies can only grow into huge Jackrabbits that run. Things are looking up and it can only get better.

Comment

[quote author=SDSUFAN link=board=sdsubb;num=1101756762;start=30#31 date=12/02/04 at 09:25:09]Its another lesson, and I hope we can keep our chin up and thats about all I can say. Did not listen on the internet, but I appreciate everyone filling me in on what happened. I like what Milwaukee Jack said about Coach Nagy, coaching to the end. I think Coach Nagy knows that is what he has to do to get us through this first season. These little bunnies can only grow into huge Jackrabbits that run.  Things are looking up and it can only get better.
        quote]
        I hope you were joking when you said things were looking up, maybe you were. I don't want to come off sounding too negative but I don't think things are looking up at all. I thought we would give those guys a good run for their money last night, and we got kicked. I know this is our first year and I can't expect too much, but I was expecting better than that. I feel we've gotten worse since the Manhattan game. If what you meant by things are looking up is that the schedule is going to get easier than I do agree with you. I'm expecting wins against several of these D-I teams we play, maybe thats being over optimistic. I will be very disappointed if we don't beat Tennessee St. I read somewhere that some average NAIA team took them to OT. I also saw that some NAIA team beat another one of those DI teams on our schedule, I think it was UMCK, so I'm counting on that game being a win as well. We also have NDSU and we've always owned them. Look at that, I started off my post very negative and I'm ending it feeling very positive. It looks like I just needed to vent.

Comment

expecting a d2 team to compete with a top mid major team is not realistic. SDSU could have competed well with these teams in the last few years, but they are rebuilding right now and are very young. Next year, we will be able to compete better. We will win maybe 1 or 2 d1 games this year, and I don't see many of the losses comng by less than 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
            expecting a d2 team to compete with a top mid major team is not realistic.  SDSU could have competed well with these teams in the last few years, but they are rebuilding right now and are very young.  Next year, we will be able to compete better.  We will win maybe 1 or 2 d1 games this year, and I don't see many of the losses comng by less than 10 points.  
            We're not a D-I team anymore, so who are you referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

We're not a D-I team anymore, so who are you referring to.
              You meant "We're not a D-II team anymore . . ." right?

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

You meant "We're not a D-II team anymore .  .  ." right?  

Go State!  ;D
                Thats right, thank you for the correction. Thats why you are the moderator, you catch embarrassing mistakes like that.

Comment

No need to be embarrassed, we all make typing mistakes, and there are no points deducted for punctuation or spelling. It's all about the content and I just wanted to make sure I got your point.

Go State! ;D

Comment

But there are many d2 players on the team. We're not actually classified as d1 yet. We're in the middle of d2 and d1. I'm just saying that this year, we will not win that many games and you can understand why, when most teams we'll play have been recruiting d1 talent for many years, while we are just getting into it.

Comment

But there are many d2 players on the team.  We're not actually classified as d1 yet.  We're in the middle of d2 and d1.  I'm just saying that this year, we will not win that many games and you can understand why, when most teams we'll play have been recruiting d1 talent for many years, while we are just getting into it.
                      I know what you are saying, and that is why I don't expect us to beat a lot of the teams we have been playing. I do expect us to be more competitive than we have been in a few of them. I still think we are going to be some of those teams I mentioned in an earlier post. I think the reason we are getting beat kind of bad in some of these games is not because we have DII athletes, it's because we aren't as talented as we used to be. I think our teams from the last several years would be doing much better. Maybe this is the best I can expect from the current team. We may have been DII this whole time but I still know we have had more talented teams than a lot of DI schools over the years. Our women have been recruiting DII players as well and I know damn well that they can win a lot of games at the DI level, and already have shown that. So I don't think it's because we have been recruiting DII players, it's because the DII players that we have now aren't as good as they used to be. That may sound like it doesn't make since, but it does to me.

Comment

We're not actually classified as d1 yet.  We're in the middle of d2 and d1.  
                        gojacksgo,

I believe that we are offically classified as D-I. We are going through the steps to gain, what the NCAA calls, "active status" (or full member) in D-I.

http://www.gojacks.com

South Dakota State University ushered in a new era of athletics on July 1, 2004, as the Jackrabbits officially joined the ranks of NCAA Division I institutions.

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University. ;D

Comment

o, sorry, I thought that we were not classified as either this year, but i must be wrong.

Either way, in years past, we could have competed pretty well with these teams, but when you lose your 2 best players, you're not going to be very competitive. We are a young team. I think next year we will be alot more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

JackMD, This might sound weird coming from me, but I would bet a lot of money that State will win more than one D-I game this year.  I'm pretty sure you will beat Tenn. St., UMCK, SE Miss. St., and maybe Denver and maybe Arkansas St.  I don't know much about those last two.  Not to mention NDSU, but you already said that you forgot about them.  It may not seem like it but I actually hope you guys do win your D-I games. You guys still have more SD players on your team than those teams that you are playing, and as long as that is the case then I will always cheer for SDSU against any D-I team.  I really do think you guys will beat those teams that I mentioned.  I realize you guys aren't as good as years past but Nagy will find a way to beat these teams I mentioned, possibly more.  I'll tell you one thing tonights score surprised me more than Manhattans score did.
                            It appears that ole Sports_buff can be pretty reasonable. It's good to see that you can put your bitter feelings about our move aside and still cheer for us during our games. I hope the rest of the South Dakotans can do the same, where even if they don't agree with the move they will cheer for us anyway. I too was more surprised by last nights score than I was by the Manhattan score.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
                              Its another lesson, and I hope we can keep our chin up and thats about all I can say. Did not listen on the internet, but I appreciate everyone filling me in on what happened. I like what Milwaukee Jack said about Coach Nagy, coaching to the end. I think Coach Nagy knows that is what he has to do to get us through this first season. These little bunnies can only grow into huge Jackrabbits that run.  Things are looking up and it can only get better.
                              quote]
                              I hope you were joking when you said things were looking up, maybe you were. I don't want to come off sounding too negative but I don't think things are looking up at all.  I thought we would give those guys a good run for their money last night, and we got kicked. I know this is our first year and I can't expect too much, but I was expecting better than that. I feel we've gotten worse since the Manhattan game.  If what you meant by things are looking up is that the schedule is going to get easier than I do agree with you.  I'm expecting wins against several of these D-I teams we play, maybe thats being over optimistic.  I will be very disappointed if we don't beat Tennessee St.  I read somewhere that some average NAIA team took them to OT. I also saw that some NAIA team beat another one of those DI teams on our schedule, I think it was UMCK, so I'm counting on that game being a win as well.  We also have NDSU and we've always owned them.  Look at that, I started off my post very negative and I'm ending it feeling very positive.  It looks like I just needed to vent.
                              I was not referring to the here and now of the current basketball season, I was referring to all sports offered at SDSU and a time span of 10 to 20 years, which is about the time I will be moving into assisted living. In other words, I am  not expecting too much for this years bb team for all the reasons that have been commented upon and perhaps excessively. This year should not be one of expectations, and I for one am not going to complain when we lose by 30 pts.

Comment

Working...
                              X