Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Black Hills State (Exhibition)

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    Do any of you who were there have any observations about the new student sections? It was hard to get a feel for it on the Gojacks.com video feed. I was not thrilled with the final score but realize it in no way reflected the way the game started out. I forget the actual score, but it seems like it was something like 30-5 midway through the first half. It would be very hard to stay 100% focused on defense after that.
    89-66. All freshmen with 7:50 left. Energy was there to start the game, but after the big lead, it felt like an exhibition game. Being careless with the ball, subbing in and out. The only thing that bugged me was that 19-5 run. I about threw up when I was watching that run happen. You could tell that BHSU had a chip on their shoulder, and had something to prove while the Jacks were playing an exhibition game. Wolters seemed to take it real easy, almost too easy and not try to force things or get too aggressive.
    Also. When opposing teams double Nate on the perimeter and Nate finds the open jump shooter, he better be making his shots. Heemstra almost had the play of game.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

There were many great things that happened out of the gate when the Jacks went on the early run and some solid play by many during the game. Taevuaan showed a stepped up game from last year that is not totally physical. He showed some spurts of finesse to go with that solid body. There were plenty of offensive fouls on both sides. The Jacks charges were a result of some strong players such as Tony and Jordan. Rebounding looks like a solid part of the game as well. I would guess that the 16 turnovers against this type of team will need to improve. This will be a high energy team with the depth.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

People were actually worried about the run they went on? Come on.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't know if anyone knew this or not, but BHSU had a football player commit suicide on campus Sunday night. I don't know if that had any impact leading to the chippy-ness or not, it was in the dorm where most of the student athletes are located and BHSU is a small campus so I have no doubt some of the basketball players knew him.

Comment

The write up on BHSU Athletic page had some interesting quotes.

"BHSU was able to hold standout guard Nate Wolters to just nine points."

I wasn't there, but I doubt BHSU had much to do with him only getting nine points.

http://www.bhsuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20121102wodfde
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

I wasn't there, but I doubt BHSU had much to do with him only getting nine points.

They held him to 22 minutes and 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. Nate was 3 for 6 from the field and 3 for 4 at the line. It was a good exhibition for the Jackrabbits.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

Nate played pretty low key last night. Coach even mentioned that in the post game. We were talking in our seats in the first half and one guy noted that they've held Nate to just 4 points. My comment was, "Yeah, but they're down 34-7. You tell me how effective they've been at stooping Nate."

He didn't show much and frankly we know what we have there. It's more about getting the younger guys some time. That being said, there were a couple of times he took their guard and schooled him with a move to let them that indeed, "I am Nate and you've just been Nated." He could have had any shot he wanted.

BHSU did put a nice run on when we lost our intensity and you have to credit them for that. The first ten minutes was quite a display of talent by the Jacks. This season is going to be a BLAST!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I like this quote from BHS "Usually when you are playing against a Division I team, you can hang around and they are able to stretch it at the end," said Schafer.

Let me see if I can help . . . the next line should have been, "but the blew us away coming out of the blocks and then coasted to an easy win. We did score on their starters when they stopped playing hard, but their Freshmen came in an opened up a bigger lead on us."

Comment

Whoa! The story-writer should have watched me, sitting in my seat eating popcorn -- I had as much impact as BHSU in Nate scoring nine points. Fact is, he directed the action for a while, had some great assists, scored when he wanted, and then took a towel and a rest on the bench. He wasn't held down by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Whoa! The story-writer should have watched me, sitting in my seat eating popcorn -- I had as much impact as BHSU in Nate scoring nine points. Fact is, he directed the action for a while, had some great assists, scored when he wanted, and then took a towel and a rest on the bench. He wasn't held down by anyone.

Nate could drop 12 points on you.....no problem.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the assistant AD wrote this, he use to be the assistant coach. They are quite entertaining though, the previous assistant AD was better at this. A few years ago BHSU went to Iowa State and got thumped but the write up was big about how they stopped Brackins. I guess I just don't know what you want them to say, we got handed? Nah, your suppose to make it look like you are really good, and just had an off night. Out performed, its like politics you lower your expectations and then make it sound like a 20 point loss was a 1 point loss in over time.

In all seriousness though whoever writes those is a/are comedian(s) at writing. I was really good friends with a number of basketball players when I was at BHSU, and I would read the story (cause they were the first to report on road games), and I would ask them about it, and they would tell me it was nothing like the write up.

Comment

I am proud to say that Nate Wolters has never scored a point on me! I am a lock down defender.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the assistant AD wrote this, he use to be the assistant coach. They are quite entertaining though, the previous assistant AD was better at this. A few years ago BHSU went to Iowa State and got thumped but the write up was big about how they stopped Brackins. I guess I just don't know what you want them to say, we got handed? Nah, your suppose to make it look like you are really good, and just had an off night. Out performed, its like politics you lower your expectations and then make it sound like a 20 point loss was a 1 point loss in over time.

In all seriousness though whoever writes those is a/are comedian(s) at writing. I was really good friends with a number of basketball players when I was at BHSU, and I would read the story (cause they were the first to report on road games), and I would ask them about it, and they would tell me it was nothing like the write up.
                            I guess its BHSU way of being positive about going up against an instate D1 school. The fact that Nate only played 20 minutes is beside the point. Actually this is a compliement to the strength of the SDSU program. We know the facts don't we!!!

Comment

Dakota State is the only team to ever completely shutdown Nate Wolters. Didn't even let him in the box scores last year!
                              Last edited by Kemo; 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

You're going to have to explain that, Kemo. Casual visitors will wonder what happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X