Pierre Scrimmage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pierre Scrimmage

Just curious how many people are heading to the scrimmage in Pierre tonight at 7pm.

It will be a chance to check out the new team and help out Conrad Adam who is battling cancer right now.

Here is a link from the Capital Journal

http://www.capjournal.com/sports/jac...a4bcf887a.html
    It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Re: Pierre Scrimmage

I understand why its in Pierre, but Pierre is out of the way for darn near anyone in the state that doesn't live in Pierre so I doubt too many will be traveling up there for this activity. I do like the idea, and would propose that they do this type of activity (scrimmage before the season) away from Brookings every year and have some charity as the benefits, its really good PR and could help promote the team away from Brookings.

Comment

Coach Nagy just tweeted a picture of the gym just prior to the scrimmage starting - looks like a pleasing turnout. https://twitter.com/CoachNagy/status...589953/photo/1
      Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

The Team is off to Kansas to scrimmage Witchita State on Sunday - looks like the team will be forced to miss Hobo Day as I believe they are driving the 8+ hours each way.
        Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

It's awesome to have the much-hyped 2012-2013 season started. The first game will be here before we know it. I hope they put on a good show in Pierre tonight. That town has obviously produced some quality basketball players over the past 10 years.

Comment

any updates on anyone who was in attendance?

Comment

A52wSs5CQAEa_Z1.jpg
              Here is a picture Coach Nagy tweeted.....Tony looks huge!!!

I wasn't in attendance, but I talked to someone who was and here was his quick rundown....
              1. Neither Chad nor Josh White played.
              2. Fiegen and Dykstra look like horses (strength wise)
              3. Prince was physical (no surprise).
              4. Donlan can sky, Devine had long arms and seemed to have is hand on the ball when the ball got down low(said he's a string bean though), and he said that Bittle looked really solid and probably is the best Freshman. He didn't really know anything about Bittle but noted how strong he looked.
              5. He said that Jacobsen looked really, really good. He is well put together and really stood out amongst everybody.
              6. Hanson coached one team and Klink coached the other. Nagy was neutral.

---He didn't have anything to say about Nate, Carlson, Heemstra, Silva, or Horstman other than they played.
              ---He also said things were getting a little heated at the end of the 1st half so Nagy called for halftime early.

I wasn't there, but this is what I was and I have no reason not to believe him. All of these statements were the consensus amongst him and his friends in attendance together.

Comment

Notes from the scrimmage.Chad white didn't suit up. Must have a slight injury. Dykstra looked good. Losing weight and adding muscle really has increased his agility/movement. Him and Fiegen I believe will be handle themselves in the post. Both were aggressive on the boards. Fiegen hitting on his 10-15 ft jumper consistently.Nate hit about 5 3's so don't worry about his shot. Didn't shoot a lot but seemed to be on. Had some real nice passes and a couple of steals.Brayden looked good also. Hit a few shots and played good D like always.Prince looked tough. A little less turnover prone maybe than last year. Always looking to get to the hoop. A beast.Jake Bittle will play. Looks to be the only freshman truly ready to play. Smart player.Devine I think he needs to put on some muscle. He's a little smaller than Heemstra and needs to develop strength. Ran the court well just hard for him to bang in there against Fiegen/Dykstra/Prince.Donlan looked tentative on the court. Played a little timid. Needs to bulk up and get some playing time to adjust. Looks like he will redshirt.Zach Horstman is physically ready just a little out of control. Had some turnovers and stupid fouls by reaching in. Missed quite a few threes. Just wasn't hot. I'd like to see him stay aggressive but play smart. Can't have stupid fouls.Pierre raised $9,300 dollars tonight. Rapid city Stevens fundraiser donated 1,007 on top of all that also to Conrad's Clan.

Comment

Thought I had that broke down in paragraphs. Might be a hard read.

Comment

I'm glad it raised as much as it did. I really hope they do these yearly with a charity in mind.

I thought I read somewhere that Zach Horstman is coming off an injury, that could maybe be why he was off a little bit.

As far as the freshman its good to here Bittle is ready. Kinda the story I heard was Devine and Donlan have a higher upside but Bittle is the most ready to contribute. I had heard similar things about Jacobsen that he should see minutes and his style of play really fits into the SDSU offense well. Sounds good, I wish I could have attended but just too far of a distance to drive for a scrimmage.

Comment

Fun game to watch. First period looked like it was the starting five against everyone else and they easily won the first 8 minute period 27 to 7. After that the teams were switched around after each 8 and 12 minute time period. Nates team won 3 of the 4 time periods and was double teamed the entire last 12 minute period. Good hard scrimmage with alot of hard falls and drives. Very enjoyable to watch. It was really cool to see the new Rapid City coach Derris Buus present that check at half time. Really put a nice to touch to a great night of basketball.

Comment

Here is a message from Conrad Adam that was retweeted by TV.....https://twitter.com/TyHoward3/status.../photo/1/large
                        It says they are going to have to amputate his leg above his knee.

Comment

This is a really good thing for SDSU to be doing, great to raise almost $10,000 for this kid and his family. If he's able to, it would be great to see Conrad at Frost sometime this year in the courtside promo seats that are given away each home game.

I too would like to see a regular out of town pre-season scrimmage by the team, the women's team should consider something similar. Maybe a rotation between Watertown, Huron, and Pierre. 3 towns without a college of their own and decent population bases.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The Twitter picture from Nagy - AWESOME crowd for a SCRIMMAGE! There is some real excitement about Jackrabbit MBB this season.

Nice summary from our posters in the Pierre area. Thanks for helping this NOLA guy keep abreast of what's happening a 1000 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              This is a really good thing for SDSU to be doing, great to raise almost $10,000 for this kid and his family. If he's able to, it would be great to see Conrad at Frost sometime this year in the courtside promo seats that are given away each home game.

I too would like to see a regular out of town pre-season scrimmage by the team, the women's team should consider something similar. Maybe a rotation between Watertown, Huron, and Pierre. 3 towns without a college of their own and decent population bases.
                              Yankton would triple the attendance at a scrimmage as compared to those 3. Not a reason not to scrimmage elsewhere just saying.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X