Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marquette

Originally posted by Jacks_Backer
    Could someone post the link where to find the results on ESPN.  Thanks.

Here is the link to the ESPN Club House for SDSU (may have to refresh)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/clubh...&sport=ncb

Comment

I went to Marquette's Athletic web-site. Their story notes that SDSU gave Marquette trouble on their inside game.

The Jacks did some nice things in that game. Marquette is a good team.

Comment

Here are some highlights from the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article2.shtml

Marquette bounces SDSU
        Chris Solari
        csolari@argusleader.com

published: 12/8/2004

Jacks hang close, but see record drop to 1-6

MILWAUKEE - Scott Nagy doesn't subscribe to the theory that moral victories can come from an 'L' in the standings.

"Honestly, at halftime, I was sick to my stomach," Nagy said after South Dakota State's 76-60 loss Tuesday to Marquette, a team that went to the Final Four just two years ago. "I'm sick and tired of seeing our players play mediocre. I don't care what anyone else thinks, but we've got guys who are really good shooters who can't even make open shots right now."

Yet, Jackrabbit fans can take a few positives from taking on one of college basketball's more recognizable schools, one with a big and talented roster and a sparkling NBA arena in which it plays:

• SDSU held the Golden Eagles to just under 40 percent from the field for the game.

• The Jacks stayed within single digits deep into the game.

• They also relegated preseason All-American point guard Travis Diener to a non-factor. Diener, who was playing on a gimpy ankle that he sprained in practice Monday, finished with just eight points on 2-of-8 shooting in 28 minutes of action.

But Marquette brandished two swords that inevitably killed the Rabbits - draining 10 of 25 3-pointers and punishing SDSU on the glass with a 42-29 edge that included 18 Golden Eagle offensive rebounds.

"It just shows you that we can play with anybody. Marquette's a good team and they've always been a good program," said freshman Steve Holdren, who led SDSU with 17 points. "We talked about focusing on rebounding, but we just gave up too many offensive rebounds. It really hurt us."

Tuesday was Dwyane Wade Night at the Bradley Center, honoring the current Miami Heat guard who led the Golden Eagles to the 2002 Final Four. His name some day will join Al McGuire, Doc Rivers and five other Marquette honorees alongside the Milwaukee Bucks' retired numbers that includes Oscar Robertson's "1" and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's "33" in the rafters. . . .

The pregame festivities were unlike anything any South Dakota collegiate team has ever witnessed. Shaquille O'Neal, dapperly dressed in an all-black sweatsuit topped off with a black beret, wandered in shortly before tipoff, sitting in the front row courtside with the rest of the Heat players. They took their seats right behind the Jackrabbits' first-half basket, even though SDSU remained in the locker room during the ceremony.

"I can't say enough what Marquette does for me," Wade told the crowd before parking his expensive suit and bling-covered wrist on the team's bench for the entire game.

When they finally took the court to warm up again, the SDSU players warmed up with incredulous smiles, occasionally glancing toward baseline seats like wide-eyed children.

"It was incredible," Holdren beamed later. "They're all dominant players, like Shaq and Dwyane Wade. It was kind of cool to see them in person."

Starstruck or not, the Jackrabbits looked sharp off the tip, which Holdren snapped up and went in for a quick, twisting layup over two Marquette defenders. A 3-pointer by senior guard Brady Hokenson in front of Shaq and another Holdren bucket gave SDSU a 7-5 lead.

The NBA players left early in the half, and with them went the Jacks' lead. Marquette buried seven of its first 12 3-point tries, including four from Novak. SDSU stayed close, however, thanks to inspired offensive efforts from Holdren and sophomore forward Ben Beran. . . .

"We knew that we'd catch them between games," Nagy said. "They're getting ready to play Wisconsin. They're looking at South Dakota State being 1-5, and we knew that they were not going to be emotionally ready for it."

Beran and reserve forward Joe Green each finished with 10 points. Hokenson nearly matched Diener's numbers, getting eight points and dishing out five assists to the Marquette point guard's seven helpers.

The Jackrabbits continue their grueling six-game road swing against Division I opponents on Saturday at Denver.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Here are AP highlights from the Rapid City Journal:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...cal/news03.txt

Marquette by 16 over pesky S.D. State; CSC wins again
          By AP, Journal Wire Reports

MILWAUKEE - With Travis Diener noticeably hobbled by an ankle injury, Marquette needed someone else to score against South Dakota State Tuesday night. Steve Novak was that man.

Novak scored 21 points to lead Marquette past the persistent Jackrabbits 76-60.  .  .  .

Marquette improved to 8-0 for only the third time in the past 30 years but could not put South Dakota State away until the final minutes.

The Jackrabbits cut an 11-point Marquette halftime lead to five, 46-41, on a Michael Loney layup with less than 12 minutes left. They got no closer. A Novak 3-pointer six minutes later put Marquette back up 61-48.  .  .  .

Steve Holdren led South Dakota State, a newcomer to NCAA Division I this season, with 17 points. Joe Green and Ben Beran added 10 each.

Despite playing Marquette tough, Nagy was not happy, as his Jackrabbits fell to 1-5. All five losses have come on the road.

"At halftime I was sick to my stomach," he said. "I am sick and tired of seeing my players play mediocre." .  .  .

Stories like this (ok because it is an AP story almost exactly the same story) appeared in papers accross the country. From Virgina to California. Although not a win, some good exposure.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Thought I'd give a short summary of what I saw last night.

1. Our guards played ten times better last night than they did against UWM (only other game I've seen). There was never a time in the game where it felt like we were completely overmatched. Our guards forced turnovers, kept their own turnovers to a minimum and distributed the ball nicely. I was pleasantly surprised in their play tonight. Especially after the UWM debacle.

2. Our post play was excellent. Marquette has some BIG bodies down low. It was refreshing to see our ballers put some nice post moves those big bodies. Sometimes basketball skills prevail over size and for the most part our guys in the post easily out played MU's.

3. Having said that, we got killed on the boards in the second half of the game. When we cut the lead to 5 in what would be about the beginning of the 4th quarter, MU was at a loss for what to do with us. Crean was pissed, Diener was pissed and the MU team had a look of "what the hell" on their faces. It was very satisfying to be a fan on the sideline at that point. However, Crean put in his big lineup after the timeout and basically started beating us into submission. They muscled us for every board and pounded it down low on offense the rest of the game. We just weren't big enough to keep them off the boards.

4. Their three point shooting was lights out in the first 10 minutes of the game. It was at that point it felt like we were going to lose by 25. Give credit to our kids, though. They stepped it up a notch on D and the open looks started to disappear. It was our D that got us back into the game. Another example of our players never giving up.

5. Our free throw shooting was horrendous. We never made two in a row all night. I think even Coach Crean would tell you that if SDSU shoots 60-70% from the line, we are looking at an entirely different game down the stretch. Very frustrating.

6. Finally, (sorry this turned into such a long post) except for a 5-6 minute stretch midway through the first half and the final 2 minutes of the second half, there was never a feeling like we weren't in the game. I was proud to have my SDSU sweatshirt on the entire night. It felt good to walk out of the Bradley Center among 11,000 MU fans and know that we belonged on that court. There were two or three different times in the game where if we get a call or the ball goes in the hoop, the entire momentum swings and we win that game. Anyone who was at the game would agree with me. Coach Crean supposedly told Nagy after the game that SDSU should have won last night. Crean was not happy about the game. He shook hands with Nagy and left the court in a hurry.

We'll get there Jacks' fans. I feel confident about that.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Good analysis. Nagy mentioned in his postgame comments that he seemed handstrung to even look at the officials the wrong way. I never have felt Imming was a huge homer but last night it seemed based on his description of the game that if there was any call that was close it went Marquette's way. Nagy also said it seemed the refs only tried to even the fouls out down the stretch when the game was no longer in question. I understand the home teams and stars like Diener are going to get their share of calls but it seems at the DI level this is magnified!

Comment

Imming is a pretty big homer, that said, they were 20-25 at the line and we were 8-16 (a number of front ends missed). Thats 12 points right there, factor in the ten 3's and you have your margin of victory.

It seemed every time one of our guards or small forwards penetrated we were called for a charge. Maybe this was the case, but I've seen Holdren play and he has remarkable body control when penetrating. On our homecourt I think some of these calls go our way.

Its apparent that Nagy is taking a hardline as always. He won't be satisfied unless everyone on the court plays to their full ability. I hope these kids have the personalities to tolerate that. Nagy won't be celebrating any moral victories. Looking forward to the game vs Denver. Should be a good one.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nice Summary!

I thought it was hillarious when Imming commented about catching the ball.

He did sound like more of a homer, but I like that. It's SD's team he's defending!

Good showing for the Jacks, will be nice to see them home again.

Comment

I like Nagy's attitude there is no moral victory with a loss. Good things will happen for the Mens Basketball program over the long haul if we stay the course and the players and coaches continure to demand more from themselves.

Comment

Coach talked about the Ref. evening up the fouls at the end of the game when it didn't matter.  Truth is, they still did a poor job of it. >  It also matters who you call the fouls on.  On a positive note, good crowd on hand.

http://www.gojacks.com

FG% - SDSU .442, MU .397. 3-pt FG – SDSU 6-20 (Hokenson 2-3, Beran 1-1, Green 1-4, Holdren 1-6, Geiver 1-6), MU 10-25 (Novak 6-8, Amoroso 4-4, Chapman 4-6, Barro 2-2, Diener 2-2, Mason 2-2, Jackson 0-1). Rebounds – SDSU 29 (Green 8 ), MU 42 (Jackson 13). Fouls – SDSU 22, MU 16. Fouled out – SDSU Beran, Loney; MU – none. Assists – SDSU 15 (Hokenson 5), MUY 17 (Diener 7). Steals – SDSU 9 (Holdren 3, Hokenson 3). Blocked shots – SDSU 1 (Beran), MU 3 (Jackson 2). Turnovers – SDSU 14, MU 13. Attendance 11,855.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I'm not one to use the officials as an excuse although I received my share of technicals as a hot headed highschool BBaller, but one official clearly had it out for Nagy from the beginning. Oddly enough thats the same official who T'd him up. The other two officials did a good job and were pretty consistant on how they called the game. No one's perfect and they missed a couple but the misses were pretty well evened out. The ref who T'd Nagy up was a total jag. He would call a foul and look to Nagy to see what his reaction would be. He called Holdren for a charge in the first half that was a terrible call (the replay shown on the jumbotron even made it seem more crazy). He followed that up in the second half with two blocking calls against the Jacks when the MU player was out of control driving to the hoop just trying to beat the shot clock. Each time the jumbrotron proved my suspicions correct. He had a look on his face all night that he was pissed and he seemed to take it out on Nagy. Frustrating.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee-that confirms what Imming was describing and Nagy's comments after the game. I resemble the hot headed demeanor comment when I played.

Comment

Good posts, MilwaukeeJack. Helps one get a better feel for the game.

Comment

Working...
                            X