Coach Nagy's take on the freshmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Nagy's take on the freshmen

Well it comes down to coaching philosphy. Not saying one is better then the other. Their are plwntly of womens programs that have no bench depth what so ever and rely on srtarters for 30+ minutes agame. On the same hand their are mens programs that always play 8 or 9 total every game and other only 6 or 7. Duke rarely has a deep bench. Even with talented or high potential guys. Same as nagy. If a guy proves he will play defense the way coaches wants and fits the system the coach will use them. Some programs develop the depth and play guys to figure it out others wait till they catch on towards soph or junior year to prove they need playing time. Some time nagy will play freshman out of nessicity but usually only if they are able to contribute right away.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Close games hurt bench time as well, when games are close you want to generally play your experienced guys, or a specific matchup. You don't want to filter through 9 guys just to play 9 guys. I'm a big fan of the bench, and I would love to see Nagy use it more often, but with injuries and close games I can completely understand why he hasn't.

Comment

Last years Kentucky team played 7 guys. You don't play guys just to play them especially if you don't have the depth
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          Last years Kentucky team played 7 guys. You don't play guys just to play them especially if you don't have the depth
          LOL, comparing Kentucky to SDSU is like comparing men's and women's basketball. Kentucky's gameplan is to recruit a new batch of freshman blue chippers every single season. Players are developed to get them out of the program as quickly as possible, not to contribute down the road.

IMO, on our level playing time has to be driven by:

1)Win now
          2)Win later

You play the horses enough to ensure you are winning now. Then you play the underclassmen to ensure they are good enough to help you win later.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

That is three minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              LOL, comparing Kentucky to SDSU is like comparing men's and women's basketball. Kentucky's gameplan is to recruit a new batch of freshman blue chippers every single season. Players are developed to get them out of the program as quickly as possible, not to contribute down the road.IMO, on our level playing time has to be driven by:1)Win now2)Win laterYou play the horses enough to ensure you are winning now. Then you play the underclassmen to ensure they are good enough to help you win later.
              My point was you can win with 7 players as he said AJ success later in the same season is to empty the bench early on. Also, there is more to developing player than just playing time. Playing them as the only way to develop players is short-sighted. Players tend to transfer out of decent but not great mid-major mens program more so than a woman's program and that will be always be the case.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

"You play to win the game...HELLO!" If Nagy thinks the best way to win is to play 7 guys, I'm all for it. People worry about guys getting worn down over the course of the season playing a short rotation, so I think the Kentucky example works perfectly for that. But yes, I agree that the development side of it is apples and oranges between the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                  Breaking news - Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball are different
                  Well they do play with a round ball. The women's ball is smaller so we found out a season or two ago, when it was used for a men's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Well they do play with a round ball. The women's ball is smaller so we found out a season or two ago, when it was used for a men's game.
                    Other way around. Women played with a men's ball. Referees never noticed.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Do we have the talent at the end of the bench to play those players minutes? I don't think so. I'd rather the guys that are capable of playing at a high level play a high level of minutes. They are a great conditioned team for a reason.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Other way around. Women played with a men's ball. Referees never noticed.
                        Yup...I remember Muckenhirn tried to point it out several times to the refs in the first half. They finally switched the ball at halftime.
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          That is three minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

SUPERBUNNY
                          It was pretty much like one of those endless facebook comment sections...the further you got into it the more you were thinking "what the hell am I wasting my time on here?"
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Yup...I remember Muckenhirn tried to point it out several times to the refs in the first half. They finally switched the ball at halftime.
                            If that was the Centenary game, they never switched. The refs didn't say anything about it till some time in the second half, at which point both AJ & the Cent. coach agreed to just finish the game with that ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              It was pretty much like one of those endless facebook comment sections...the further you got into it the more you were thinking "what the hell am I wasting my time on here?"
                              Sorry, we wasted your time, next time change the channel.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                My point was you can win with 7 players as he said AJ success later in the same season is to empty the bench early on. Also, there is more to developing player than just playing time. Playing them as the only way to develop players is short-sighted. Players tend to transfer out of decent but not great mid-major mens program more so than a woman's program and that will be always be the case.
                                Kentucky's hopes of a "successfull" season are about nil if they have 1 or 2 serious injuries along the way. Just like the Jacks hopes of a "successful" season are greatly reduced if one of our top 6/7 gets hurt. I'm not saying playing others more will necessarily prevent injuries, but it could leave a team better prepared for when those injuries occur.

I'm having a hard time remembering somebody at SDSU that "developed" without at least 10-15 minutes of average playing time. Jason Sempsrott comes to mind, although he was just pretty much overlooked his first season or two. Maybe Jared Gass? Mark Engen?
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X