X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Nagy's take on the freshmen

From TV's blog

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com

What does SDSU men’s basketball coach Scott Nagy think of his three incoming true freshmen after seeing them in action (some) during the summer?
    On PG Jake Bittle: “Physically, Jake is ready and is one of those guys that even in practice can give (star) Nate (Wolters) a little bit of a challenge because of his size and his strength.”
    On post Connor Devine: “Physically, he has a way to go, but he’s made big strides even this summer. With this size and length, it’s going to be something new for us to have a guy who can block shots and has great timing.”
    On wing Matt Donlan: “He is a lot better of an offensive player even than I anticipated. He really shoots it. His biggest deal is he just needs to add strength, but his skill level is already very high - he’s a tremendous shooter. It’s just very easy and it looks like it’s going in.”

Re: Coach Nagy's take on the freshmen

We probably just need a little contribution out of one or two of these guys for this year. Bittle sounds like he is on the right track in this write-up. Hopefully at least one of them can redshirt.

Comment

Let me start this by saying upfront, I am NOT, trying to be negative or confrontational. I am a Jackrabbit fan from afar, I did not attend SDSU. I did grow up near Brookings and always have supported Jackrabbit athletics. Now, that I have made myself clear here is my take, and it probably is not new to many of you either. Nagy, needs to play his bench more. I sincerely believe that part of the success Aaron Johnston, has had, is his willingness to play nearly his full bench. Especially at the beginning of the year. I also believe this is at least part of the reason, Nagy has more players transfer to other programs. If you look at the minutes the mens bench has played this year, it's really quite disappointing. Wolters, has missed two complete games and still the minutes for the bench is miniscule.
      Many may think I'm ripping Nagy, I'm not trying to but l feel the bench needs to play more. I know there are injuries, but this seems to be a common theme with Nagy's teams. We lost two potentially good players after last season, one was a red shirt, but it seems to me the kid from Illinois, MIGHT, still be here if he could have seen more playing time.
      Next comment, how many players in the last five years, have transferred from the women's basketball team? I don't know so maybe I'm just plain wrong. Anywho just some of my holiday ramblings.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
        Nagy, needs to play his bench more.
        Nagy typically plays a short bench in the non-conf season.

Further, the two best players off the bench (Prince & Horstman) are dealing with injuries that are going to further curtail their minutes.

The bench players will see heavier rotation during the conference season, just like last year and the year before.

Comment

A couple opinions.

WBB seems to allow an easier transition for Frosh to be ready to play without redshirting. WBB team has had success for a number of years, allowing them to get better recruits. 2 extra scholarships allow for the possibility of a deeper bench.

Most MBB recruits in last 5 years would have benefitted greatly with a RS, almost wasting a year because the team needs them as backups. We were able to redshirt two this year, which is a positive toward the future. With success, I think our level of recruit has already gone up, but hopefully it continues to as well.

WBB players buy in to the team while MBB players want their time. Maybe not all, but I think they fall into that category. There were 445 Divison one MBB transfers in 2012, per Jeff Goodman. I couldn't find the amount for WBB, but I would guess it is maybe 1/3 of that.

As frosh, Monaghan played more minutes than Clarin and Stuart, and they are both back. In fact, SDSU played more Frosh minutes on the men's side vs. the women's side last year, unless you count RS Fr Boever too.

Comment

I'm not going to disagree with the bench needing to play more but Horstman missed most of the off-season with a back injury (to the point where they just about red-shirted him) and it seemed just as he was starting to kinda get back into the rotation he hurt his ankle. Prince has a lingering toe injury. Yes the bench needs to play more, I agree, I'm not against redshirting though. I think that is a smart decision. I agree though, I would like to cut all the starters minutes by at least 2 if not 4 for some of them. But when Horstman and Prince are banged up, you have a true freshman and a redshirt freshman walk on as your next choices.

I do think some of this would be helped by developing a better walk-on program. If Nagy can keep the 2 freshman walk-on and Jacobsen is allows for a little more leeway to redshirt a guy like Monahan and/or Horstman last year who had to not redshirt because of depth but could have utilized one.

Comment

Plus zach has been hurt to really slowed him up. Not a lot od depth to play anyway. The team will have to have more depth play next year imo when nate and tony are gone. Probably 2 of our better more consistant players imo. Nagy except for w year I recall when ausitn and chris and derrick were their for the D-2 days is the only year it seemed nagy played a deep bench.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I agree with BoxerBoy, it would be nice to see a deeper rotation.

I went back and looked at several season statistics.

Sorry to disagree Zoo, but as the season goes on, the rotation gets shorter in conference play as each game becomes more important. We played a 7 man rotation for most conference games last year. Once in awhile, 8 would play, though I wouldn't really call it a rotation as they rarely logged more than 5 minutes. There were multiple games where 6 were leaned on VERY heavily.

In 03-04, we had 3 guys average more than 24 minutes a game. 6 guys logged between 10 and 20 minutes a game. That's a solid 9 man rotation.

Last year we had 6 guys log more than 24 minutes a game. 1 guy averaged between 10-20 minutes a game. That's a 6 man rotation.

This year, there are 5 guys with more than 24 minutes a game, and 3 with between 10-20 minutes a game. That's an 8 man rotation. By the end of the season, most likely the numbers will break down to a 6-7 man rotation.

If any of the top 5 has a season ending injury, we will be in BIG, BIG, BIG trouble.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I don't see the point in playing players just to play them. Also players don't like not knowing their role in the rotation
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    I don't see the point in playing players just to play them. Also players don't like not knowing their role in the rotation
                    That's sort of the point. If guys would play more they could learn and develop those roles better. If they are hardly used they might not have the chance to see where they fit in.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Breaking news - Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball are different

Comment

Yes, definitely a big difference in bench use between the two teams. AJ changes players like a hockey coach, often bringing in three or four at a time, sometimes just minutes into the game. It's nice to know you have some experienced people available if fouls or injuries become an issue for a starter or two.

Injury or otherwise, the lack of contribution by Horstman has been dissapointing. You could say the same for Prince. Hopefully at least one of them improves as the season goes on. If we ever have two starters get in foul trouble early in a game, look out. Then there is the subject of next year and who is going to replace Wolters and Fiegen. Yikes.

Comment

1. I can't remember a Nagy team that had a lot of depth at the D1 level. His rotation has always seemed tight.

2. Comparing men's and women's basketball, in any way shape or form, is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            1. I can't remember a Nagy team that had a lot of depth at the D1 level. His rotation has always seemed tight.2. Comparing men's and women's basketball, in any way shape or form, is just silly.
                            Yep. There is literally nothing comparable about mens and women's basketball outside the basics of basketball
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Breaking news - Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball are different
                              Agreed - if an NCAA -wide study would be done,I would expect that the average number of bench minutes played per game would be more for women than for men.

Comment

Working...
                              X