Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BISON: Offical Game Thread

Originally posted by Rabbit74
    Yes, there is a story in the print edition. It is the lead story at the top of the front page of the sports section. The headline is "Jackrabbits thrash NDSU" with the sub head of "SDSU continues its recent domination of rivals."

I don't know why it didn't made the online version. The print story is positive. quotes Nagy on the importance of the good crowd, etc.
    It's there on line . . . they screwed up the headline (it's the first of the two stories titled "Rough Rider girls down Washington&quot. Way to go, Argus . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good catch, Filbert. Thanks.

Comment

Here is the story from The Fargo Forum:

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?p...l&id=80714

'Rabbits swamp Bison

By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
        Published Sunday, January 16, 2005

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- The South Dakota State of old showed up Saturday night at Frost Arena. Like the weatherman predicting 20 below, that was not a good forecast for North Dakota State.

The Jackrabbits outshot, outrebounded and outhustled the Bison for a 78-59 men's basketball win before 4,281 fans.

"That looked like the team I've coached for the last nine years," SDSU head coach Scott Nagy said.

Not the 3-11 model coming into the game. It was SDSU's fifth straight win in the series and second in a row for a team that lost three straight games in December to Division II teams it traditionally pounded.

"We had everybody playing hard together," SDSU forward Ben Beran said.

The Jacks found their stride from the midway point in the first half to the midway point of the second half, taking leads up to 25 points. They struggled to the finish, but it was irrelevant considering the Bison shot 33 percent and generally lacked any moxie to make a threat at the Jacks.

NDSU fell to 5-11 in a game that matched two teams in their first year of a Division I transition.

"We just didn't come out with the energy that we needed to compete," Bison forward Myron Green said.

The Jacks, after weathering early shooting problems, found their range midway through the first half. An 18-2 spurt -- ignited by a pair of 3-point field goals by Andy Kleinjan -- put them in command at 24-13.

NDSU, meanwhile, had trouble from that distance. SDSU's 40-26 halftime lead was aided by NDSU's 33 percent shooting, including 3 of 11 from the 3-point line.

Kleinjan and Mackenzie Casey, both reserve guards, were a combined 5 of 7 from beyond the arc. They hit a combined 6 of 24 treys coming into the game.

"Kleinjan and Casey were backbreakers," NDSU head coach Tim Miles said. "It was a credit to them for making plays but I thought we were in a non-compete mode."

The Jacks put it away in the first seven minutes of the second half. A pair of pretty Beran inside moves and four points by Michael Loney keyed a 12-3 run and a 56-35 advantage with 12:22 remaining. Whereas the Jacks took the outside rout to taking their first-half lead, they went inside in the second.

"We wanted to get a low-post presence before they did because they have a couple of big boys in there," Beran said. "We wanted to win the inside."

Beran, a 6-foot-7 sophomore and Loney, a 6-6 freshman, each had 16 points with Loney's 7 of 7 from the field leading the way. Their production made up for the lack of minutes of leading scorer Steve Holdren, who was slowed by mononucleosis.

Green led the Bison with 22 points and 10 rebounds, his first career double-double. But the night belonged to the Jacks, who made a rare appearance near the 50 percent shooting mark, hitting 30 of 61 shots. They came in shooting 41 percent.

"For us to shoot 50 percent is a big deal," Nagy said. "We haven't even been close to that all year. Then again, I don't remember the last time we were home for a week."

On Saturday, home was sweet old home.

NOTES: Walk-on guards Ryan Lieser and Alex Belquist left the team; Lieser because of an injured knee and Belquist, a freshman wide receiver, so he could turn his attention back to football for winter workouts. & Backup guard Matt Gerber sat out with a nagging leg injury leaving the Bison with eight available players.

Comment

And here is a McFeely column from The Forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

This loss takes cake for Bison

Mike McFeely, The Forum
          Published Sunday, January 16, 2005

Brookings, S.D.

It was the 33rd annual Pork Classic at Frost Arena on Saturday. That meant at halftime of the basketball game between North Dakota State and South Dakota State, a live hog was auctioned.

The porker, caged and hauled to center court for all to get a good look at the future provider of sizzling bacon and juicy chops, fetched $3,250.

Following the Bison's ugly 78-59 loss, coach Tim Miles was asked -- in the spirit of trying to lighten a somber situation -- what he would've given for the hog if it averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds.

"Hey, a full scholarship for an out-of-state player is like eight or nine grand, so I would have bid that sucker way up," Miles said.

It was a rare moment of levity on what must rank as one of the lowest days in the recent history of NDSU men's basketball.

We know, we know. The Bison are in a difficult transition to Division I. Not necessarily all that talented in the first place, they are playing short-handed because of Miles' decision to redshirt five freshmen. They entered the game 5-10, including 0-8 against D-I schools. The nine athletes left to compete deserve sympathy.

But this loss took the cake. It must be the most frustrating game of a season filled with an endless string of exasperations.

In a game the Bison could have won and most certainly should have closely contested, they were blown away by an equally undermanned SDSU team. At 3-11 coming in, this was Jackrabbits Lite.

"We had a poor start, absolutely no energy," Bison senior Adam Dobmeier said. "It's like we weren't even playing together. That's the most frustrating thing. At this time of the year, you should be playing your best basketball."

Instead, the Bison seemed to be as interested in jacking up 3-pointers and making one-on-one moves as they were disinterested in doing things like playing defense and rebounding.

At times, it looked an awful lot like the noon sessions you'll find at the downtown YMCA.

"If you're looking for a trademark of our program, you'll find a team that plays hard every night. We're going to get beat some nights, but we're not going to get outworked," Miles said. "I just didn't see that. That's disappointing. I don't know what I have to do as a coach, but I'll have to re-examine how I'm getting my guys ready."

Considering what this group of Bison is up against, it's not difficult to figure out how this could happen. In an effort to build for the future, Miles essentially threw this year's team to the wolves. After a promising start -- particularly a nine-point loss at Kansas State in NDSU's Division I debut -- the Bison appear to have hit the wall. The evidence was building in blowout road losses to Manhattan and Missouri-Kansas City.

"We're not the same team we were early," Miles said.

Have the Bison become flustered by the mounting losses and seemingly never-ending road trip this season has become?

"There might be a select few guys who are feeling that way, that we've lost a bunch and that's the way things are going to continue. But we have to overcome that," Dobmeier said. "In those Division I games we came out and gave it everything we had. Now we need to come back and play these teams we're capable of beating the same way. We need to come out and really execute and play our best ball."

There were 12 minutes left in the second half Saturday when the Jackrabbits scored three straight uncontested layups to take a 56-35 lead. Miles called timeout and had one thing to tell his team in the huddle: "You're rolling over."

In an attempt to give his team some sort of spark, Miles had the Bison full-court press the rest of the game. It made no difference in the outcome, but at least NDSU's players looked as if they were expending energy.

The Bison will catch a break for the next several games. They play four straight home games against teams they can beat, starting Tuesday with NAIA Dakota Wesleyan. It's a chance to salvage something for this battered group of athletes.

"It all starts at practice Monday," Dobmeier said. "We need to get ready for these teams coming up. We need to start playing together and get back in the flow."

As this game proved, it will be easier said than done.

Forum sports columnist Mike McFeely can be reached at (701) 241-5580 or mmcfeely@forumcomm.com

Comment

Excellent showing by the Jacks. Congratulations. I guess I was a little hasty when I headed out with the BISON leading 11-8. I thought it was over. See you next weekend, and dont forget your trip to Fargo next month!

Comment

The Jacks looked great, it was good to see some Jackrabbit basketball being played. Casey and Kleinjan really looked improved. Looking forward to tonights game. In less then a week I have seen Wichita St. beat Bradley, SDSU beat NDSU and now SDSU vs UMKC. Lots of fun.

Go State! ;D

Comment

89rabbit
                Did not see you at the game, but agreed,it look like the Jacks of old.  After hearing the post game interview, this could be the start of upward turn.  I like that Nagy has related to the new guys and telling them that he once played scared and regrets it.  This probably what the young guys need to hear.  I hope Steve Holdren can hang in there healthwise. He showed some neat moves which you would not expect from a true freshman. This guy can spin and move in an uncannying manner.

Comment

It was nice to see a crowd size (4000+)that resembled a big game in the NCC. I still think students/fans can pick up the intensity.

Comment

I yet to find any one who likes this year's schedule, and its the best that probably could be put together.

I would be curious to see what happens in terms of crowds for the rest of the season. If SDSU wins at UKMC and we could, then I wonder about the Morningside game. I guess the familiarity of the opponent should bring out a few people.

It would appeare that next year a great deal of promotion will be needed and thats why this years team almost needs to end on a very high note.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                      I yet to find any one who likes this year's schedule, and its the best that probably could be put together.

I would be curious to see what happens in terms of crowds for the rest of the season. If SDSU wins at UKMC and we could, then I wonder about the Morningside game. I guess the familiarity of the opponent should bring out a few people.

It would appeare that next year a great deal of promotion will be needed and thats why this years team almost needs to end on a very high note.
                      I think you're accurate, that this is the best schedule we could have put together. The reality is that it was going to be front-loaded with D-I teams, and after the new year was going to be cobbled together with whatever we could get. This is because D-I teams aren't eager to step out of conference after Jan. 1, especially to play a game that doesn't count as a D-I game.

Next year will be much different.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                      X