@ SUU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: @ SUU

Another satisfying night to be a Jackrabbit.

It's fun to listen to Coach Nagy actually sound a little optimistic! Nice season so far -- well deserved by a bunch of hard working and talented guys and their coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Another satisfying night to be a Jackrabbit.

It's fun to listen to Coach Nagy actually sound a little optimistic! Nice season so far -- well deserved by a bunch of hard working and talented guys and their coaches.
      I thought he would have been disapointed. All things considered he should be happy yet at the same time we haven't really done anything. A great start for sure. The league is too good top to bottom to go with out some tough losses. I think its going to come down to sdsu ndsu and oru racing to the top. But in the tourny iupui and oakland are still too good they could decide who goes home early. Western will probably be thw surprise team. Our 1 pt win looks better every game western ill plays.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The SL tourney is going to be nuts this year. The way things are setting up (and we obviously have a long ways to go), teams like Oakland and IUPUI could very well end up seeded as low as 6, 7, or even 8. How'd you like to play those teams...IN THE FIRST ROUND? Get yer popcorn ready...
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          The SL tourney is going to be nuts this year. The way things are setting up (and we obviously have a long ways to go), teams like Oakland and IUPUI could very well end up seeded as low as 6, 7, or even 8. How'd you like to play those teams...IN THE FIRST ROUND? Get yer popcorn ready...
          It's a different year this year.

I'd rate the Summit:
          Top Tier: ORU, SDSU, NDSU
          Contending: Western Illinois, IUPUI, IPFW, Oakland
          Pretending: Southern Utah, UMKC, USD

(In approximate power-rating order).

The last Summit League tournament spot is probably going to come down to Southern Utah and UMKC--and either one of those teams can, on a good night, jump up and bite a Top Tier team, IMHO.

SUU's style of play is so much different from the rest of the league that they're really deceptively hard to play. UMKC has shooters--a lot of them--and a pretty good guard in Chamberlain. If they get hot they can be tough, too.

I agree fully with the assessment upthread that SDSU's win at Western Illinois will, when all is said and done, look like a really, really, really good win in-conference. Western will beat some people this year.

Any team with Alex Young is a threat. Any team with Kampe as a coach is a threat. I hate IPFW, for very good reasons (in my own mind, anyway).

So that's my Summit League analysis so far. Until and unless anybody beats ORU I think they're the best team. NDSU looks (surprisingly) strong. SDSU is right there.

Let's see what happens . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            It's a different year this year.

I'd rate the Summit:
            Top Tier: ORU, SDSU, NDSU
            Contending: Western Illinois, IUPUI, IPFW, Oakland
            Pretending: Southern Utah, UMKC, USD

(In approximate power-rating order).

The last Summit League tournament spot is probably going to come down to Southern Utah and UMKC--and either one of those teams can, on a good night, jump up and bite a Top Tier team, IMHO.

SUU's style of play is so much different from the rest of the league that they're really deceptively hard to play. UMKC has shooters--a lot of them--and a pretty good guard in Chamberlain. If they get hot they can be tough, too.

I agree fully with the assessment upthread that SDSU's win at Western Illinois will, when all is said and done, look like a really, really, really good win in-conference. Western will beat some people this year.

Any team with Alex Young is a threat. Any team with Kampe as a coach is a threat. I hate IPFW, for very good reasons (in my own mind, anyway).

So that's my Summit League analysis so far. Until and unless anybody beats ORU I think they're the best team. NDSU looks (surprisingly) strong. SDSU is right there.

Let's see what happens . . .
            Well it wont be too long till they get beat as they are getting beat on Saturday. ORU hasnt been more impressive than Jacks
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I was gripping it the whole game last night. Jacks really showed a lot of maturity in the second half. Early on the calls will heavily weighted against SDSU yet the guys didn't get rattled. Couldn't knock down the 3's and the guys didn't get rattled. Got the big stops the last 4 minutes and held on fairly comfortably from there knowing they could make FT's and handle the ball. Get win.

As for the Summit tourney, any team can win on any given night. I don't know the details or stats but it seems like the #1 seed wins much less often in these post season single birth tourney conferences than you would expect. That is why I love attending every game, they are all relevant most years and I think even more so this year. All that said, I think SDSU would be better served by a 1 or 2 seed (obvious I suppose).
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Was in Cedar City last year, and altitude is a problem for our players out there. They wear down more easily IMO. It's a very nice arena, and announced crowd was 1,900+ (it seats 5,300), which makes one wonder if they share the same counter with our friends to the south. However, in looking at a replay of some of the highlights on the SUU webpage, there is one shot which shows the hometown crowd, which you couldn't see on the television feed via internet, and it had a lot of people in it. Also, you couldn't see the upper area on the televised feed, and the replays I saw, included more people on the visitor side up higher. Having said, that, while I enjoyed the trip to Cedar City, I won't miss having the Jacks continue to travel out there for games.

Comment

Working...
                X