Wolters an NBA Prospect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wolters an NBA Prospect?

I'm glad to see that #natersgonnanate is trending a bit on twitter. I'm gonna use it going forward on all SDSU MBB tweets.

Comment

This is what Chad Ford had to say about Nate Wolters being a sleeper. "While Wolters lacks the requisite hyper-athleticism of other elite point guards, he's got toughness, craftiness and fearlessness going for him. And at his size, he's able to score over smaller point guards. No one is talking about Wolters as a sure-fire first-rounder, but a number of scouts I've spoken with think he's got a real shot at the NBA." So it looks like hes got a very legit chance of being a second rounder
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Looks like a non-athletic D2 talent to me

Snark aside, this is the type of talent that I hope comes around more often. If we intend to be a mid-major team who others respect the Wolters of the world need to feel comfortable coming to SDSU knowing that their skills will be recognized nationally. The buzz around Nate can only help this program in the future.
        Saying Wolters is not talented is like saying Ranek wasn't talented. In both cases they use an innate apptitude, talent, above their shoulders to make up for less physical athletic ability.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
          Saying Wolters is not talented is like saying Ranek wasn't talented. In both cases they use an innate apptitude, talent, above their shoulders to make up for less physical athletic ability.
          This post sparked a recall from posting on D2football.com. There was a SID from Tarleton State in Texas who declared straight up and down that Ronek would never see the NFL. How can some guy from Texas who never seen SDSU play be so biased, puzzles me to this date. He appeared to make his judgements on Roneks size. Ronek did see the CFL. In Nate's case, its much different. I would think a number of NBA scouts have focus more on Nate in the past few days then ever before.

Comment

Nate listed as No. 38 pick in this mock draft that was updated yesterday.

I see Tony Wroten No. 6 and Abdul Gaddy as No. 59, they are the guards for Washington that guarded Wolters most of the game.

Here is the link
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Nate listed as No. 38 pick in this mock draft that was updated yesterday.

I see Tony Wroten No. 6 and Abdul Gaddy as No. 59, they are the guards for Washington that guarded Wolters most of the game.

Here is the link
              Ahead of some duke and north carolina guys. That aint bad.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Nate's got some Larry Bird to him:

He's got decent height for his position, but otherwise he's hardly a standout athletically, he's got an unsurpassed work ethic, great court vision, and he looks like he's playing slower than he really is.

I'm not saying that he's 'as good as', or 'in the conversation with' or 'comparable to' Bird; I'm just saying that the things he does well are some of the things that made Bird great.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  Nate's got some Larry Bird to him:

He's got decent height for his position, but otherwise he's hardly a standout athletically, he's got an unsurpassed work ethic, great court vision, and he looks like he's playing slower than he really is.

I'm not saying that he's 'as good as', or 'in the conversation with' or 'comparable to' Bird; I'm just saying that the things he does well are some of the things that made Bird great.
                  The vision thing, IMHO, is what separates many athletes and allows them to become far superior. We saw an excellant example of that first hand with Ranek. In basketball Bird and Jordan weren't the mosty athletically gifted. Both though could see the game better than others on the court.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

The vision thing, IMHO, is what separates many athletes and allows them to become far superior. We saw an excellant example of that first hand with Ranek. In basketball Bird and Jordan weren't the mosty athletically gifted. Both though could see the game better than others on the court.
                    I'll agree with Bird not being super athletic. But Jordan? That dude was athletic. He had hops that made it seem like he could fly. That's supreme athleticism to me.

Comment

Won't argue that Jordan wasn't very athletic. But will argue that he wasn't the most athletic player on the court. There were certainly players with better athletic skills that couldn't keep up with Jordan. Why, because Jordan was more gifted above the shoulders, vision, drive, baskeball IQ, than more athletic players.

Comment

Jordan might not have been the most athletic player but if he wasn't top 3, no one was. He was an incredible athlete. Just watch his old Slam Dunk contest videos, or the famous lay-up against the Lakers in the Finals, or some of his dunks against the Knicks. He was the pinnacle of an NBA athlete.

But that's not what made him great. What made him great was that he could not let himself be second best.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          This post sparked a recall from posting on D2football.com. There was a SID from Tarleton State in Texas who declared straight up and down that Ronek would never see the NFL. How can some guy from Texas who never seen SDSU play be so biased, puzzles me to this date. He appeared to make his judgements on Roneks size. Ronek did see the CFL. In Nate's case, its much different. I would think a number of NBA scouts have focus more on Nate in the past few days then ever before.
                          So, basically, that SID was right about the whole NFL thing. Ha.I think that Nate is the type of guy that, if drafted, may benefit from the NBA's D-league. A team may be more apt to draft a less athletic guy because he can hone his skills in a lower league. How cool would it be to see Nate for a couple games with the Skyforce before starting his NBA career.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            So, basically, that SID was right about the whole NFL thing. Ha.I think that Nate is the type of guy that, if drafted, may benefit from the NBA's D-league. A team may be more apt to draft a less athletic guy because he can hone his skills in a lower league. How cool would it be to see Nate for a couple games with the Skyforce before starting his NBA career.
                            He did attend the Cowboy's training camp. Does that count?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              Jordan might not have been the most athletic player but if he wasn't top 3, no one was. He was an incredible athlete. Just watch his old Slam Dunk contest videos, or the famous lay-up against the Lakers in the Finals, or some of his dunks against the Knicks. He was the pinnacle of an NBA athlete.

But that's not what made him great. What made him great was that he could not let himself be second best.
                              Sorry RO, I watched more than Jordan highlights. I'll give you 4 names of players arguably more athletic than Jordan; Dr. J, Thomas, Magic, Wilkins. All very, very good athletic players.

Comment

Sorry RO, I watched more than Jordan highlights. I'll give you 4 names of players arguably more athletic than Jordan; Dr. J, Thomas, Magic, Wilkins. All very, very good athletic players.
                                Well, when Dr. J played in the NBA, Jordan was more athletic. At their peaks, I'll give you him, but in today's NBA I don't think Dr. J would crack the top 10. When they were both in the league together, MJ was more athletic. I don't think I'd give you Magic either. Nope, I won't actually.

Wilkins and Thomas, okay. Thomas couldn't jump like MJ though. Alright, I'm down to agreeing with only Wilkins.

Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X