Wolters an NBA Prospect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolters an NBA Prospect?

So, with yesterdays performance, I began to wonder if Nate has a legit chance at making an NBA roster.

It seems he is able to elevate his game against the best. Yesterday....34 pts and ZERO turnovers against a supposedly supremely atheletic team. I can't help but wonder if he can compete at the next level.

Woodside was great and I think Nate has the chance to be every bit as good as him....plus he's 6" taller. I know when Woodside came out that was his biggest knock. If Woodside was 6'-4" would he have made an NBA roster. I can't help but think he would have.

Re: Wolters an NBA Prospect?

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    So, with yesterdays performance, I began to wonder if Nate has a legit chance at making an NBA roster.

It seems he is able to elevate his game against the best. Yesterday....34 pts and ZERO turnovers against a supposedly supremely atheletic team. I can't help but wonder if he can compete at the next level.

Woodside was great and I think Nate has the chance to be every bit as good as him....plus he's 6" taller. I know when Woodside came out that was his biggest knock. If Woodside was 6'-4" would he have made an NBA roster. I can't help but think he would have.
    Of any recent Jack players, Nate seems to have the best chances of making it. I know I have not said a mouth full, but he is definitely one of the all time greats at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Of any recent Jack players, Nate seems to have the best chances of making it. I know I have not said a mouth full, but he is definitely one of the all time greats at SDSU.
      Pretty good for a kid that SDSU was only recruiting against a D2 school for him.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I wondered the same thing way back in January....

Here's a question, for those with better knowledge of NBA than I...`

If Wolters keeps this up, does he have a shot at the NBA when he graduates?

I have no idea how he stacks up body, size, or position wise with NBA guards?
        Post #27. The post was met with a lot of doubt, but I would guess more people are starting to believe?

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...-in-The-Summit
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Well Chad Ford Wolters was rated as the 16th best PG and #88 overall and I would believe that since Wolters destroyed the #1 PG and #16 in the draft that he will only move up. Thought it was funny that he didn't even have an avatar for his name.

Comment

If Nate keeps it up, he may get an invite to an NBA camp coming out of college. I don't see him getting drafted. If the NBA only drafted seniors, he would have shot, but they draft freshman-seniors and players from all over the world. Naters gonna Nate, but that's the way it's going to be.

As for Romar's comments involving the best PG play that he's seen since Jason Kidd, don't see him in any mock draft, etc. I think these comments were more to get under the skin of U Dub's PG. No doubt that Nate is a great player, but I think they were said more to motivate his own player for the rest of the season.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If he continues to improve I think that he has a shot. But, he has to continue to put up impressive performances against the big schools. He needs more exposure to scouts, that is why it is imperative that the Jacks make the tournament in the next two years. Showcase him on the national stage.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                If Nate keeps it up, he may get an invite to an NBA camp coming out of college. I don't see him getting drafted. If the NBA only drafted seniors, he would have shot, but they draft freshman-seniors and players from all over the world. Naters gonna Nate, but that's the way it's going to be. As for Romar's comments involving the best PG play that he's seen since Jason Kidd, don't see him in any mock draft, etc. I think these comments were more to get under the skin of U Dub's PG. No doubt that Nate is a great player, but I think they were said more to motivate his own player for the rest of the season.
                I would disagree with they only draft freshman or sophomores. They may not draft seniors high but they do get drafted. In 2011 there were 7 freshman(6 in first round) 7 sophomores(4 in first round) 13 juniors(7 in first round) and there were 18 seniors(7 in first round) Internationals had 13(5 in first). If you get pass the top 9-10 picks which they get all the headlines because they are the potential stars so the perception gets skewed a bit in thinking only freshman sophomores and international players get drafted. The seniors tied for the most 1st round draftees and had the most overall. If he keeps getting better and the team makes it to the tourney where he gets exposure I say I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  I would disagree with they only draft freshman or sophomores. They may not draft seniors high but they do get drafted. In 2011 there were 7 freshman(6 in first round) 7 sophomores(4 in first round) 13 juniors(7 in first round) and there were 18 seniors(7 in first round) Internationals had 13(5 in first). If you get pass the top 9-10 picks which they get all the headlines because they are the potential stars so the perception gets skewed a bit in thinking only freshman sophomores and international players get drafted. The seniors tied for the most 1st round draftees and had the most overall. If he keeps getting better and the team makes it to the tourney where he gets exposure I say I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets drafted.
                  My point wasn't that only international players and freshman and sophmore players get drafted. It was that the pool of potential players is so large that it would be difficult for him (or anyone) to get drafted.

Either way, he's a great player.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    My point wasn't that only international players and freshman and sophmore players get drafted. It was that the pool of potential players is so large that it would be difficult for him (or anyone) to get drafted. Either way, he's a great player.
                    Well on average if 17-18 seniors get drafted and he was rated as a top 25 junior coming into this season I like his chances of getting drafted next year. And yes he's a great player. Getting a lot of much needed love after he dominated the top rated pg in the upcoming draft.

Comment

Might have a chance to go in the 2nd round, especially if the TWolves have a pick. It used to be that teams would take good college seniors mid-late in the 2nd round but it seems that lately they'd rather draft no name foreigners and keep them in europe with the slight chance that they could make the team in 3-4 years.

If Jacks make the tourney this year or next, he could see his stock rise.

Will certainly get a training camp / summer league invite.

One thing I do know though, Naters Gonna Nate.

Comment

He'll have to keep improving his defense if he wants to make a team. I just enjoy that it's a legit question.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

In watching the game on TV yesterday, Lennie Wilkens certainly had nothing but great things to say about Wolters. He probably knows a thing or two about talent after 1,332 wins as an NBA coach.

Nobody is going to work harder than Nate to try and get there. I'm not going to doubt him.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Woodside's knock was his height.

Wolters' knock will be his speed/quickness and defense. People will balk at the speed/quickness knock, but he basically has a knack for leveraging the smallest defensive lapse and turn it into points. That knack may not automatically translate to the NBA where all the defenders are big, fast, athletic, and long (I fully realize that knack has translated very well from his high school game to DI basketball).

Nate is an amazing scorer, but everybody in the NBA can score - EVERYBODY.

Here's a where are they now of the last 10 DI scoring leaders according to Wikipedia:
                            Jason Conley - Never played in the NBA.
                            Ruben Douglas - Never played in the NBA.
                            Keydren Clark (2 times) - Never played in the NBA.
                            Adam Morrison - Played 3-4 years in the NBA, now playing overseas.
                            Reggie Williams (2 times) - Started pro career in France, killed it for the Skyforce, now with Charlotte Bobcats.
                            Stephen Curry - Is putting together a pretty nice NBA career.
                            Aubrey Coleman - Never played in the NBA.
                            Jimmer Fredette - Drafted 10th overall, currently with Sacramento Kings.

My point is, being an electrifying scorer isn't enough to make it to the NBA, much less establish a career there. I hope he makes this post look absurd in about 2 years.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

He is most certainly a "prospect". I know scouts are watching him. Will he get drafted? He's got another year and half left of college to influence that.

He has lots of positives, but his negatives would be foot speed, defense, and jump shooting form.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                              X