Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fightin' North Dakotans

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    What he said! Our pep band doesn't stack up well when you see the other schools at the Summit League Tournament.
    I don't know if new songs are a good thing either. Some of those played tonight I had no idea what they were.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
      I don't know if new songs are a good thing either. Some of those played tonight I had no idea what they were.
      You mean you did not recognize Ark the Herald Angles sing.

Comment

Listen to pop radio, and you'd recognize lady gaga and the other songs... I thought they did a great job and i really liked the christmas song

Comment

I knew the gaga song and the Christmas song. But there were 2 songs in there I couldn't figure out until the chorus.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I really could care less what they play, the Beach Boy stuff I recognize, but Lady Gaga is totally foreign.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I really could care less what they play, the Beach Boy stuff I recognize, but Lady Gaga is totally foreign.
              Come on Nidaros, us fossils shouldn't be dictating music playlists. I realized I hit old fogy-dome when find the grocery story music to be sing-along tunes. (Oh Monday-Monday - think Mamas & Papas)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Okay, give the guy a break...he meant at a major, not a mid-major, and many refer to majors at the BCS conferences.
                Correct, pretty common jargon, FBS and FCS separate the Division I schools playing football. The BCS is a subdivision established by and comprised of teams from the "major" conferences.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  Come on Nidaros, us fossils shouldn't be dictating music playlists. I realized I hit old fogy-dome when find the grocery story music to be sing-along tunes. (Oh Monday-Monday - think Mamas & Papas)
                  I have to agree with Nidaros, I know one lady gagga song, its the one Cartmen covers on southpark, and Christopher Walken reads also. I guess if we are going for the family friendly event I think music most people would know if your 9 or 90 is best. I know its not the hip hoppin stuff that college kids maybe want, but I dont see anything wrong with the stuff the pep band plays. Adding a little variety might not hurt, but for quality of musicianship, its tough to beat the pep band. I know some think the other bands at the summit tourny are better, those bands are not better musically IMO, but they are basically their only fan support or cheering at most games. At state the pep band doesnt need to act like the cheerleaders.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't care if the pep band cheers or not, as a matterof fact some of the Summit League School pep bands go too far when it comes to their cheering antics in my opinion.

What I am talking about at the Summit Tourney is the pep bands ability to integrate with the athletic event not be a part from it. To me the pep band isn't there to put on a concert they are there to fire up the crowd in context to the game. They need to be part of the game day experience, not a side show.

UMKC doesn't have a pep band so they bring their jazz band, they too are very good but they don't play pep music, they have a hard time playing their school song. They can play the heck out of Take the "A" Train.

Not saying our kids are better or worse musicians. I just feel that some of our Summit brethren have a better understand what pep bands are and how they work into the game day experience. That’s all

Comment

How can a band "go too far"?

"Those people cheer to loud for their team I don't like it!" Jesus. I wish people at SDSU went "too far" for cheering. No wonder no one ****ing cheers at game. I feel like a pep band can cheer as much as they want. Good for them.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        I know we should not be an old fossil, but if my recollection is correct a few years back, we honored General Depuy, a Brookings grown boy born 1919, and they rededicated the ROTC Armory and renamed Depuy Armory. I recall the night before, one of those NCC Friday-Saturday home stands, the pep band was practicing after Friday night game the below song getting ready for the General's appearence.

I thought it wierd that they did not know this one, but Goofy has it down pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQkSwZ0YnI

Jim Coull does a bang up job as a pep band leader, but I am sure this song caught him off guard as well. At least he took the time to get the band up to speed on this particular piece and we did not embarrass our 4 star general.

In general our pep band does a great job, anything they play usually sounds pretty darn good, even lady gaga songs.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X