SDSU v Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU v Minnesota

Most of the nervousness looked to come to the forefront when some of the younger Jacks in new offensive roles had the ball, and that forced Nate to handle the ball for extended periods of time. It also didn't help their psyche having Mbakwe near the hoop, as he is an elite shot blocker that they haven't faced, nor probably won't face the rest of the season. Teyvonne Prince stood out not because he's a better offensive player than say, Chad or Brayden, but because he played without fear and hesitation.

Keep in mind that last year, if we played this poorly on offense, we would have been blown out the water, let alone being up by 5 points in the second half. This is a great sign, as the defense and rebounding have been much improved from last year.

There are plenty of guys who have scoring ability on this team, they just have to get comfortable with their new roles now that that Clint Sargent is no longer there.
    Last edited by Kemo; 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Keep in mind that last year, if we played this poorly on offense, we would have been blown out the water, let alone being up by 5 points in the second half. This is a great sign, as the defense and rebounding have been much improved from last year.
      Yet we have more depth and talent on this team then years past and IMO playing an unproven gofers team. Previous years we have played closer agianst better teams with less depth and talent.

I think if we could play them again once this team finds its indentity and roles better, we could very well win a game like this. Nervous or not we were leading a big 10 team with 15 min to go. WE havent been able to say that previously either yet the final score to me looks much worse.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Pretty straightforward in my estimation. We played well but Tubby had the right game plan. The only way we beat a team with the depth and size of the Gophers is if Wolters dominates, Tubby didn't let that happen, or we shoot the lights out from 3 while the better team is average from the outside. The Gophers were patient with the exception of a 10 min stretch in the 1st half. They didn't panic, kept hounding Nate, and dared the other players to beat them. It was a great effort by the Jackrabbits but played out about how I expected it would. Nothing to hang our heads about. Great rebounding and defensive effort for the most part, Jacks were just overmatched.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I was also at the game and I have never seen a Jacks team so "scared" or intimated. You could literally see it on their faces. The gophers were so bad in the first half we had an opportunity to run them out of the gym. Brayden Carlson in particular looked very nervous in that enviroment. Tubby in the post game show was very frustrated they got out rebounded in the first half by over 10 and by a few for the game. We were able to take their bigs off the dribble at will. When the gophers went small and pressed we didn't react well. Dykstra just did not move well in warmups or the game. Heemstra was non-factor and even Nate made some unforced errors you don't normally see from him. This was a very good opportunity to finally knock the gophers off. It was more on us than what they did.
          Will Carlson's palying time be diminished as Dykstra continues to get healthy and Prince shows what he can do? I've said i before and I'll say it again, Carlson is not D-I basketball player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
            Will Carlson's palying time be diminished as Dykstra continues to get healthy and Prince shows what he can do? I've said i before and I'll say it again, Carlson is not D-I basketball player.
            Who is Will Carlson? Coach Nagy will disagree that he is. I have always thought of him as a poor mans nate wolters. Can shoot and handle the ball well. I think he will only help this team. If anything it might hurt Griffs or Chads PT if they struggle to score considering Carlson is better ball handling.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Who is Will Carlson? .
              I believe Jackbacker was asking a question and started the sentence with the word Will,not meaning it was Carlson's first name.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I believe Jackbacker was asking a question and started the sentence with the word Will,not meaning it was Carlson's first name.
                I know, I should have put a smiley face. When I first read It though I was like Will Carlson.......who?

Comment

Carlson is alright, but I'd argue he is more of a system 2 guard or 3 guard then a D-I point guard. He will help on defense, and can hit down the open shot. Now I think as Prince, Horstman and Monagahn get more accustomed to the offense they will take some minutes from Brayden.

Comment

After the exibition game vs MSU-M, Nagy was very specific in his praise of Carlson, saying that:
                    1. Braden has what it takes to be a Conference defensive player of the year,
                    2. He said they will typically put him on the other teams best perimeter scorer, because he is capable of 'shutting them down' due to his arm length & overall athleticism.
                    3. He expects that Braden will play a lot of minutes this year, and we will be better because of it.

While I agree that he wan't as aggressive on the offensive end as I would like to see from him vs. Minn, but comments about him 'not being a Division 1 player', or that his minutes should be reduced after having his second start during his sophmore season are extremely pre-mature, and borderline ridiculous. He played 28 mins, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and a blocked shot, with just 2 turnovers. He was 1-4 from the floor. In games like this, we need him to take more shots.

Comment

Our biggest problem in this game offensively, was that we had 2 players take 32 of our 52 attempts from the floor (Wolters 8-22, Prince 3-10). Guys like White, Carlson, Griff & Fiegen need to understand that they aren't going to get all day to find an open shot against a Big 10 team like the Gophers. They need to find the confidence to knock those down even when contested.

Comment

In my opinion the team will be fine when everyone gets healthy and some of the younger guys get accustomed to playing more minutes. The team needs to get into "game shape" and that will come as the season progresses.

If the team loses games I hope it is early in the season rather than at tourney time.

Heres a link to MN Gopherhole fan board on How Good Nate Wolters is.
                        http://www.gopherhole.com/boards/sho...ood-is-Wolters

p.s. I'm new a contributor to the forums but have been reading them since the 2008 season. Appreciates everyone insight
                        It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                          In my opinion the team will be fine when everyone gets healthy and some of the younger guys get accustomed to playing more minutes. The team needs to get into "game shape" and that will come as the season progresses.

If the team loses games I hope it is early in the season rather than at tourney time.

Heres a link to MN Gopherhole fan board on How Good Nate Wolters is.
                          http://www.gopherhole.com/boards/sho...ood-is-Wolters

p.s. I'm new a contributor to the forums but have been reading them since the 2008 season. Appreciates everyone insight
                          Welcome to the mayhem!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                            In my opinion the team will be fine when everyone gets healthy and some of the younger guys get accustomed to playing more minutes. The team needs to get into "game shape" and that will come as the season progresses.If the team loses games I hope it is early in the season rather than at tourney time.Heres a link to MN Gopherhole fan board on How Good Nate Wolters is.http://www.gopherhole.com/boards/sho...ood-is-Woltersp.s. I'm new a contributor to the forums but have been reading them since the 2008 season. Appreciates everyone insight
                            Wow a lot of denial in Minnesota and hate towards Wolters talking about how he wouldnt get hardly any minutes with Gophers cuz he can't shoot, can go to left, turns the ball over too much, blah blah blah. Minnesota fans make me sick can't wait till we beat them.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Interesting how several of those message board experts who have seen Nate play once have him all figured out. It was hardly his best night. They talk about all the turnovers... do they realize he averaged 1 TO a game last year? Nope. They talk about his shooting percentage, 8-22. Hardly typical. You think Nate wouldn't be even better if he had some of those Minnesota players to pass to?

The main thing I agree with on that thread: Tubby doesn't recruit Minnesota as well as he should. And I hope that continues for a long, long time.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                Wow a lot of denial in Minnesota and hate towards Wolters talking about how he wouldnt get hardly any minutes with Gophers cuz he can't shoot, can go to left, turns the ball over too much, blah blah blah. Minnesota fans make me sick can't wait till we beat them.
                                There are a few posters there who will always believe that no low-mid major player would be able to contribute there. But if you read the entire thread,the majority of the posters recognize that Nate is a good player and were complimentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X