The Colorado Buffaloes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Colorado Buffaloes

I'm smart enough to look at the ledger and its shows your low attendence figures in all sports. How is moving up to DIAA in football and DI in all other sports going to put you in the same light as the other DI programs in the state. You have made similiar statements in other posts that few in the state of Colorado and Greeley for that matter care about UNC athletics. If the Jacks were in a similiar postion as UNC (multiple instate DI programs) I'm not sure I would support it.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      I'm smart enough to look at the ledger and its shows your low attendence figures in all sports. How is moving up to DIAA in football and DI in all other sports going to put you in the same light as the other DI programs in the state. You have made similiar statements in other posts that few in the state of Colorado and Greeley for that matter care about UNC athletics. If the Jacks were in a similiar postion as UNC (multiple instate DI programs) I'm not sure I would support it.

Who's to say they won't start?

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
        D-town:  I can't predict the future for UNC sports.  I do look at things as an optimist and a realist.  Once we get in to a conference I believe we will develop division 1 rivals that will draw more interest then when we were in division 2.  This will help with a fan base.  Not to mention that we have four in-state rivals at d-1.  THis is where we have the upper hand compared to some of the other schools such as SDSU and NDSU. Both of those schools don't have an in-state d1 rival.  So in summary, I do think finding a conference will help. But most of all we must start winning.  We are an up and coming b-ball program with good, young talent.
        Hey, prove me wrong. I don't think it will take much to exceed the interest level UNC had at the DII level. But to come on here and state you have the upper hand over SDSU and NDSU simply because you have four other schools in the state that play at the DI level is ridiculous. I will surmise that the developing rivalary between SDSU and NDSU will exceed anything you can put together against your instate rivals. Of the major sports there will never be much of a rivalary with UNC and the other schools because of the scholarship disparity between a DIA and DIAA school in football. In men's basketball none of the Colorado schools have ever been truly dominant so I guess there is that posibility of a budding rivalry. Just because your school resides in the same state as other DI schools does not make you an automatic rivalry. That is developed over time and usually means there is some kind of competitive parity between the schools. SDSU beating NDSU 2 of the last 3 years in football has done wonders for creating a rivalary.

Comment

UNCbear- What are you talking about rivalaries with the other area D1 schools. I look at your womens basketball schedule and your fans had the privalge of watching area teams such as Colorado St, Wyoming, Air Force, and 9 other teams at Bulter-Hancock Hall and your total attendance was only a meager 5676. NDSU had more fans at one game then all your womens games combined. How could that be when you have not one but three of your so called area rivals on your schedule? You put your Mens and Womens attendance togather and you only outpace the three NDSU-SDSU games by 3,000 fans. I think these numbers show pretty clearly that it is better to be the only instate DI option then being in a state filled with many DI options. Another thing to conisder is that NDSU raised ticket prices for the SDSU game while UNC had to lower prices to get people to come and watch your instate rival Denver.

Comment

I guys are right. UNC should go back to division 2.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
              I should go back to division 2.
              Sorry, I meant you

Comment

Getting back on track here ... the President of the University of Colorado has resigned. The problems with the football program and the problems associated with a goofy professor have taken their toll.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                  Getting back on track here ... the President of the University of Colorado has resigned.   The problems with the football program and the problems associated with a goofy professor have taken their toll.  
                  Not to get a whole big thing going here, but that goofy professor has a right to say what he said, no matter how stupid and insensitive it was... it's everyone else's job to confront the statement on its face if we don't like it. And what he said was offensive to many people. But, if we believe in academic freedom, we have to take the bad with the good. Who among us should be the academic speech policeman? I'm not going to defend what that guy said, but I'll defend his right to say it.

In fact, being outspoken is part of a professor's job, particularly in certain liberal arts disciplines. Part of every goofy professor's job is to initiate a conversation within the community. My contract includes service and outreach as 20 percent of my job. People are mistaken if they believe a professor's job is just to teach. Teaching is 40 percent of my job. The majority of what I'm evaluated on is something else (research, service and outreach.)

Churchill was trying to make a point and from what I can see he is perhaps the single least eloquent and perhaps the single most insensitive person on the planet. But it's part of his job to make points and engage the community in discussion. If he gets fired, it'll be a step backward for free speech and academic freedom. If we want freedom, we have to tolerate the fringe speech in order to protect all of us from those who don't like what we might have to say. If we don't like the point he made, we should confront him from a position of strength and conviction, not silence him because we don't agree. We've been down that road before, many times in our history.

Sorry, but I just had a student attack me because he doesn't think I should be allowed to post my opinions about the news media on a blog. Of course I worked in the media and that's what I teach. The student in question doesn't like my opinions and is taking the position that as a professor, I should be silenced just in case I am somehow trying to silence him. Had he ever taken a class from me, he would find that I am relentlessly concerned about the First Amendment and unconcerned what political perspective anyone brings to the discussion of free speech.

End rant.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                    Not to get a whole big thing going here, but that goofy professor has a right to say what he said, no matter how stupid and insensitive it was... it's everyone else's job to confront the statement on its face if we don't like it. And what he said was offensive to many people. But, if we believe in academic freedom, we have to take the bad with the good. Who among us should be the academic speech policeman? I'm not going to defend what that guy said, but I'll defend his right to say it.

In fact, being outspoken is part of a professor's job, particularly in certain liberal arts disciplines. Part of every goofy professor's job is to initiate a conversation within the community. My contract includes service and outreach as 20 percent of my job. People are mistaken if they believe a professor's job is just to teach. Teaching is 40 percent of my job. The majority of what I'm evaluated on is something else (research, service and outreach.)

Churchill was trying to make a point and from what I can see he is perhaps the single least eloquent and perhaps the single most insensitive person on the planet. But it's part of his job to make points and engage the community in discussion. If he gets fired, it'll be a step backward for free speech and academic freedom. If we want freedom, we have to tolerate the fringe speech in order to protect all of us from those who don't like what we might have to say. If we don't like the point he made, we should confront him from a position of strength and conviction, not silence him because we don't agree. We've been down that road before, many times in our history.

Sorry, but I just had a student attack me because he doesn't think I should be allowed to post my opinions about the news media on a blog. Of course I worked in the media and that's what I teach. The student in question doesn't like my opinions and is taking the position that as a professor, I should be silenced just in case I am somehow trying to silence him. Had he ever taken a class from me, he would find that I am relentlessly concerned about the First Amendment and unconcerned what political perspective anyone brings to the discussion of free speech.

End rant.
                    I was gonna respond (and in doing so, repeat in different words what you said about dissent and debate). But in recognition that this thread has now devolved into politics:

All in favor of letting this entire thread die, say "Aye?"
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

I was gonna respond (and in doing so, repeat in different words what you said about dissent and debate).  But in recognition that this thread has now devolved into politics:

All in favor of letting this entire thread die, say "Aye?"
                      My fault. Sorry for the earlier rant. Alumguy didn't mean anything by it, but it caught me at a moment of frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                        My fault. Sorry for the earlier rant. Alumguy didn't mean anything by it, but it caught me at a moment of frustration.
                        Naw, a nice healthy rant is good for the soul. I hope. But I think we can let CU go, now.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                        X