Gene Zulk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Zulk

It was posted on another thread that the Gene Zulk era of basketball was "undistinguished". If I remember correctly there were some great teams in the late 70's early eighties. (lingenfelter/drafted Bucks?) NCAA
    Regional vs Hayward State, Final 4 85?

Gene Zulk was a great man and great coach

Re: Gene Zulk

I believe I saw a total of two games during the Zulk era so cant say I knew him as a coach or ever met him for that matter. One of these games was the D2 national championship game on ESPN, and Richard Vitale was part of the color team. I dont know if Mr. Vitale ever got over the fact that a small town like Hayti SD could produce a Mark Tezlaff.

I have always preceived Gene as a real gentleman and very friendly. I think his record speaks for its self.  He made a big impression on the McDonald family from Chisholm Minnesota and that family was well represented at SDSU. Mr. McDonald was a excellent high school coach at Chisholm.

In terms of recruiting I would rate him over his predeccessor Jim Marking. Gene at least worked the state of Minnesota hard and other areas too, something Marking did not seem to do.

Getting to the finals of the D2 national championship was a huge accompolishment, so I think Coach Zulk had a very distinguished career at SDSU.

I saw Gene play against John Thomas and the Thomas brothers from Alexandria SD in a March of Dimes benefit game in 1965 at the Sioux Falls Arena. Gene played for Spencer SD and apparently caught the eye of Jim Marking as did the Thomas brothers so Gene was not only a good coach but an excellent player during his era.

Comment

The team Gene Zulk played on at State consisted of Gene Zulk, Spencer SD, Guy Mackner, Sisseton SD, John Eidsness, Canton SD, Denny Womeldorf, Wessington Springs SD and John Thomas , Alexandria SD. When these 5 South Dakota kids got it rolling the noise level in the "Barn" was deafening. They lost very few games back then. That whole team was a group of nice young men and I would guess still are just a little older now!
      So who can tell me where all these guys are now and what are they doing?

Go State !!

Comment

Gene and his family were close to my wife and her family when they resided in Brookings. Unfortunately, they have lost touch over the years. My wife's family speaks highly of him.

I'll never forget sitting in my Uncle's house in DeSmet listening to the '85 National championship game on the radio. Growing up in Lake Norden the legend of Mark Tetzlaff will never be forgotten.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Where is Mark Tetzlaf these days?

Comment

My family is very close with the Zulks. I grew up spending many weekends at their house during the time Gene was a coach at State. I would hardly characterize his tenure as undistinguished. In addition to the 85 runner-up team, his teams made numerous playoff appearances.

He's been a school administrator at Mound-Westonka High School in the Twin Cities west suburbs for many years.

JackMD -- PM me if you want more details.

I think Tetzlaff is a bank officer in the Watertown area.

Comment

Alright, perhaps a bit harsh with the "undistinguished" comment, but the facts are:
              1974-75 ... 12-12 ... Gene Zulk
              1975-76 ... 12-12 ... Gene Zulk
              1976-77 ... 10-16 ... Gene Zulk
              1977-78 ... 17-12 ... Gene Zulk ... Third-Place North Central Regional
              1978-79 ... 13-14 ... Gene Zulk
              1979-80 ... 23-8 ... Gene Zulk ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion
              1980-81 ... 13-14 ... Gene Zulk
              1981-82 ... 13-14 ... Gene Zulk
              1982-83 ... 16-12 ... Gene Zulk
              1983-84 ... 21-9 ... Gene Zulk ... New England Regional Runner-Up
              1984-85 ... 26-7 ... Gene Zulk ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion; National Runner-Up

Thats 5 winning seasons and 2 NCC crowns in 11 years.
              Bottomlline is they had three real good years during his career. Years that, at least by win loss would have been pretty average during the Nagy era.

Comment

I will take Zulk over Marking any day of the week.  At least Gene had the sense to keep his mouth shut about moving up to D1. ;D

Marking did not recruit worth a hoot and was thinking 1949 with his all South Dakota teams.  Granted he inherited a mess from Iverson, but he could have been expanding the recruiting area more and if he had done this Nagy's program would be further down the road than it currently is now.

I know I am going to get creamed here for saying this but I must do so since after the noise that Jim Marking made about moving to D1, I have no respect for that man.  

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                  I will take Zulk over Marking any day of the week.  At least Gene had the sense to keep his mouth shut about moving up to D1. ;D

Marking did not recruit worth a hoot and was thinking 1949 with his all South Dakota teams.  Granted he inherited a mess from Iverson, but he could have expanding the recruiting area more and if he had Nagy's program would be further down the road than it currently is now.

I know I am going to get creamed here for saying this but I must do so since after the noise that Jim Marking as made about moving to D1, I have no respect for that man.  
                  What did you guys think of Thorson?

Comment

Jim was a very good coach, but not an outstanding coach. He could not take the program to the next level and that is why I think his career ended at SDSU.

Comment

Can someone post the Jim Thorson years like they did for Gene Zulk. I've heard that Thorson got a raw deal, but I would like to see what kind of success he had. Even if he did get a raw deal it's tough to argue with who you got to replace him. I'm not saying he did get a raw deal, I just want to see his record.

Comment

Here's Thor's numbers. Those 85-86 numbers bring back bad memories! My siblings who were in school at the end of his tenure all think he got a raw deal.

1985-86 ... 8-20 ... Jim Thorson
                        1986-87 ... 16-12 ... Jim Thorson
                        1987-88 ... 21-9 ... Jim Thorson ... Third-Place South Central Regional
                        1988-89 ... 16-12 ... Jim Thorson

1989-90 ... 8-19 ... Jim Thorson
                        1990-91 ... 24-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC Postseason Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
                        1991-92 ... 25-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion
                        1992-93 ... 19-12 ... Jim Thorson

Comment

Nagy looks pretty good compared to any of those records!

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
                            Here's Thor's numbers.  Those 85-86 numbers bring back bad memories!  My siblings who were in school at the end of his tenure all think he got a raw deal.  

1985-86 ... 8-20 ... Jim Thorson
                            1986-87 ... 16-12 ... Jim Thorson
                            1987-88 ... 21-9 ... Jim Thorson ... Third-Place South Central Regional
                            1988-89 ... 16-12 ... Jim Thorson

1989-90 ... 8-19 ... Jim Thorson
                            1990-91 ... 24-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC Postseason Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
                            1991-92 ... 25-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion
                            1992-93 ... 19-12 ... Jim Thorson
                            Chris White bought Thor that extra year.  I think his personality did him in.  He always seemed satisfied with just good enough.  I mean that when it comes to recruiting and fielding a team.  A lot of people felt he got jobbed.  Either way we have Nagy now and I'm not complaining.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Chris White bought Thor that extra year.  I think his personality did him in.  He always seemed satisfied with just good enough.  I mean that when it comes to recruiting and fielding a team.  A lot of people felt he got jobbed.  Either way we have Nagy now and I'm not complaining.
                              It's a good thing for SDSU that Thorson wasn't a woman. USD got sued for firing a volleyball coach who lost 47 straight NCC games. She said it was based on gender and not her performance, she even got to keep her job with the school of education. She won the lawsuit--ridiculous. If you can't fire that coach then I don't know who you can fire.
                              I agree that State is better off with Nagy, but I'm sure there were some upset people right away--firing a guy a year after going to the Elite 8. Was Nagy Thorson's assistant?

Comment

Working...
                              X