Nagy contacted for Northern Illinois opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagy contacted for Northern Illinois opening

Big news, especially if they hire him....

http://es.pn/fXQdnF
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Nagy a finalst for Northern Illinois

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Big news, especially if they hire him....

http://es.pn/fXQdnF
    wow. always thought if he went anywhere it would be back to Illinois. However this report looks very sketchy. are these the finalist or are these the guys they are targeting? And it says these are some of them, are there more?

and if he leaves I don't blame him one bit, you get 19 wins while playing 4 underclassmen big minutes, get to the second round of the conference tournament, lose to a team that won the tournament with ease and the big paper that follows you writes an article saying what it said. I'd think about leaving as well.

Comment

Whoa.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

That saddens me. I'm pleased for Coach -- interest by other programs is a validation that others think you're doing a good job. But, I don't want to lose Nagy right now.

Comment

I can't blame Nagy for showing interest in other jobs. He may not even be interested in leaving, if anything, this will help him in negotiation with SDSU on his next contract.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Terry's already on it, kinda what I figured a head-hunting firm contacted him. Generally what a bigger school does is gets an outside firm to go out and look at a number of guys who they think would fit and then gives the names to the school.

Comment

Does anybody know how much Scott makes at SDSU?

It looks like the outgoing NIU coach was paid in the 300,000 range.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                Does anybody know how much Scott makes at SDSU?

It looks like the outgoing NIU coach was paid in the 300,000 range.
                The last report I saw had him in the $150,000 range I believe. I don't know if the coaches salaries are frozen with the rest of the state however.

Comment

Even subtle success will come at a price. If we think a one year contract at less than market salary is going to keep a coach indefinitely we are naive. I hope Nagy does get consideration for some of these jobs as it is a reflection that he is respected as a coach and we are having success.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Even subtle success will come at a price. If we think a one year contract at less than market salary is going to keep a coach indefinitely we are naive. I hope Nagy does get consideration for some of these jobs as it is a reflection that he is respected as a coach and we are having success.
                    I don't know if the 1 year contracts are as big of deal as the salary. Yeah $150,000 is a good salary in South Dakota for most people, but if you look at the work a D-I coach does, the travel, the bs they have to put up with and everything else and then consider what other coaches make you really wonder about it.

Comment

I believe there is also some other compensation for the coaches beyond the salary. If I recall correctly, some of the coaches qualify for annuities after so many years of service and then have that compensation also. It may be the foundation where these are run through. It has been many, many years since I was told about this, so memory is foggy for sure.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I think the one year contract is a factor but I don't think that it is a huge issue. The AD doesn't currently have a choice to offer long-term deals. SDSU has a strong history of coaches being on staff long-term and not many are fired but rather changes happen when coaches move on to other endeavors or new opportunities. Remember also that if a coach has success the one year contract also gives them flexibility to get a better deal. It is a two-way street. If SDSU started playing musical coaches by routinely dismissing people then it would be a HUGE issue.

Nobody would know that better than Scott. He stuck with SDSU through transition and SDSU stuck with him through their struggles.

JACKGUYII is on the money for saying that it shows that Nagy is respected and the team is coming back. I also agree the one-year contract is a factor but I think there are enough positives regarding SDSU that make it a very attractive place to be a coach that negates the contract issue. The only people that can answer that is the coaches themselves.

Nagy is the guy I want leading the program but I wish him all the best in whatever his decision might be. If he is due a pay bump then I'm sure that will get handled somehow.

These things have a way of getting worked out. We'll just have to wait and see.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I don't know if the 1 year contracts are as big of deal as the salary. Yeah $150,000 is a good salary in South Dakota for most people, but if you look at the work a D-I coach does, the travel, the bs they have to put up with and everything else and then consider what other coaches make you really wonder about it.
                          Many of the coaches in larger media markets also have a fairly good sized media (coaches show) contract in addition to their base salary - this can add on a significant number in the bigger markets.

Comment

Wasn't Nagy a finalist for a job in Illinois 7-10 years ago?

Comment

I believe he was a candidate for the Bradley job which is open again and the IFPW coach is interviewing for.

Comment

Working...
                              X