2005 Recruits`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Recruits`

State Recruit Bob Bilitz scored 21 points for his West Lutheran team on Tuesday night.

Re: 2005 Recruits`

Jacks have shown interest in Kyle Spading 6'4 220lbs out of Belle Plaine IA for basketball. He is getting more DI interest in football where all the Iowa DI schools have shown interest but not offered. He is debating which sport to compete in at the college level.

Comment

Jacks also showing interest in 6'9, 210 Matt O'Connor from Iowa Western CC. He's supposed to have an excellent shot from beyond the arc.

Comment

Not sure if this has been reported in any other thread: In today's Rapid City Journal, writer Roger Toland reported: "...Sully Buttes' Blake Yackley has signed a letter of intent to play basketball at South Dakota State. ..."

Yackley is 6-5...has gotten a lot of press for Sully Buttes in the last couple of years.

Comment

I'm curious why the apparent signing of Blake Yackley was not announced during the early signing. I had noticed a few weeks ago that he was listed on the Dakota Schoolers as going to SDSU. Is this a full scholarship or is he walking on? I believe the signing had to take place Nov 10-15. Nagy had talked about the possibility of signing one South Dakota player and I assume Blake is it. Blake has the credentials and at 6'5 is that bigger guard we can use. I wonder who else was persuing him.

Comment

I believe Blake had narrowed down his choices to us, NDSU, and Augustana. Doesn't necessarily conjure up thoughts of a dominent d1 player.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Hey I hope he is a sleeper who turns into a great player. I wonder if the expectations are he will be more of role player.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                I wonder if the expectations are he will be more of role player.  
                Gotta have those. Its nice to see SD kids signed, too. Helps our image with those who don't yet understand the magnitude of the move to DI.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A reliable confidential source (hey, I learned that in journalism classes) tells me that Blake IS going to SDSU. He will NOT, however, sign a letter of intent because of the fact he already has a large trust fund set up for college. If he officially signs, he has to be given a scholarship. He is still free to walk on anywhere he wants, or take a partial at a lower division school, but as of right now, he is walking on at SDSU. His grandfather is Jim Sutton, one of the all time greats at State.

Comment

Caught the O'Gorman Roosevelt boys BB game tuesday night. O'G 75- 51. Can see why Jacks had interest in Begeman. 25 pts, 7 boards, 5 assists. Very tough and knows how to play. His game reminded me of Austin Hansen. One of O'G boosters said the Jacks were his first choice for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                      A reliable confidential source (hey, I learned that in journalism classes) tells me that Blake IS going to SDSU. He will NOT, however, sign a letter of intent because of the fact he already has a large trust fund set up for college. If he officially signs, he has to be given a scholarship. He is still free to walk on anywhere he wants, or take a partial at a lower division school, but as of right now, he is walking on at SDSU. His grandfather is Jim Sutton, one of the all time greats at State.
                      Blake has to have some talent with Jim Sutton as grand dad. How does Bob Yackley fit in this family tree? Bob was on campus when I was. He probably was more into rodeo than basketball but was on the Jack team, back then. Bob was not a star but not a bad player either. You might say he had an average career.

The trust angle does present some interesting way of affecting letters of intent. I dont think this happens too often. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDhoopfan
                        Caught the O'Gorman Roosevelt boys BB game tuesday night.  O'G 75- 51.  Can see why Jacks had interest in Begeman. 25 pts, 7 boards, 5 assists.  Very tough and knows how to play.  His game reminded me of Austin Hansen.  One of O'G  boosters said the Jacks were his first choice for quite a while.  
                        Is this the guy who signed with USD? I really dont care who he reminds me of.   If he has a Josh Moeller attitude then he has made the right choice.  I wonder who exactly was doing the choosing here, it may have been Scott Nagy. Boosters are certainly going to give it their best spin and make it appear as though this guy turned down SDSU. That in fact may not have happen. ;D If SDSU is to suceed at D1 level we need better players than Austin Hansen.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Is this the guy who signed with USD? I really dont care who he reminds me of. If he has a Josh Moeller attitude then he has made the right choice. I wonder who exactly was doing the choosing here, it may have been Scott Nagy. Boosters are certainly going to give it their best spin and make it appear as though this guy turned down SDSU. That in fact may not have happen. ;D If SDSU is to suceed at D1 level we need better players than Austin Hansen.

Don't know whether SDSU offered a scholarship or whether Begeman turned down SDSU. As far as Austin Hansen goes - he could have played on many DI teams. At the 2003 regional against UNKearney - he almost willed SDSU to a win and would rank IMO one of the best performances by an SDSU player in the last 15 years. SDSU could use more players like Austin Hansen.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100

Don't know whether SDSU offered a scholarship or whether Begeman turned down SDSU.  As far as Austin Hansen goes - he could have played on many DI teams.  At the 2003 regional against UNKearney - he almost willed SDSU to a win and would rank  IMO one of the best performances by an SDSU player in the last 15 years.  SDSU could use more players like Austin Hansen.    
                            If SDSU were going to remain in the NCC and D2, I would agree. If Austin was D1 material, I think he would have been picked up by a D1 team and that did not happen. If I recall Hansen red shirted one year which means he was not ready to play right out of high school.

My point is if we want to be D1, we need D1 talent. I willing to bet that SDSU back off on Begeman because there may be better choices out there.

Comment

I would never turn down an Austin Hansen at any level. SDSU has been a DI caliber team for many years becasue of players like Austin Hansen. Sometimes I really don't understand your reasoning SDSUFAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X