Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland GDT

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Our "bigs", if you can even call them that, need to improve their "footwork". Granted, that comes with experience. Anybody remember Benson as an underclassman?

Fiegen has decent footwork. Nobody else does and Tony is too small to be effective against Hunter and Benson despite that footwork. AC, believe it or not, had the footwork and the strength, just not the desire. Now, they can't all be Bill Walton but it should be better. I don't mean just on the offensive end. Footwork and body position inside is just as important on defense and in positioning for rebounds and we got none of that right now.

Who works with our "bigs"? Do we really have anybody with that knowledge base? I think it could make a major difference.

Oakland is good but on a given night we can beat them. Benson is going to get his and they are going to make at least 30% of their 3's but if we can limit 2nd shots and take the air out of the ball a bit we can take them. Need to find a way to get a top 4 seed and have an easier first round opponent in the tourney, I think we will.
    Not saying our "bigs" don't need to improve but you gotta consider what they were up against last night. Hudson and Benson are 4th and 5th year players. One is an NBA prospect and the other is considered one of the top big men in the league. Dykstra is a true freshman and Fiegen a 2nd year player. For them to put up 18/8 and 15/5 against a team like Oakland is pretty darn impressive.

I think it's a little much to call out our coaching staff for not coaching up our bigs. Dykstra and Fiegen were both basically guards in high school, they aren't going to magically be perfect post players in their first or second year.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      Was very intertaining, frustrating, and heartbreaking game all the the same time for me. I do think this team can play with anyone in the league including Oakland. Benson is a beast and it's amazing to me how big the rest of Oakland's team is, but I don't think they're any bigger than Minnesota or maybe even Iowa, but I didn't see these games in person, only on televison.
      Hopefully this team can go out and put a beating on the Dead-Elephants Saturday night. Hopefully the crowd can help them out a bit more than last night wether we get down right off the bat or not. Hopefully Frost can start to prove Stu and myself wrong...Hopefully.

Here's TV's game article:
      http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...29/1002/sports

Go Jacks!!
      It's going to be a great game Saturday and unless the weather turns to crap again we will be there.

We got out of sorts at the end of the 1st half last night when Nagy had to sit Wolters. Nate was exhausted and Carlson just didn't know what to do with the ball. There really isn't a team leader when Nate isn't on the court. Clint is best without the primary ball handling responsibility and as I expected, Stephenson is not the answer. So, we are lacking from that perspective. We are going to have to find ways to "sneak by" without Nate for sort intervals. That is going to be tough against the better teams in the league.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just went back to the stats, these are some pretty incredible rate stats.

Fiegen put up 15/5/2 in just 20 minutes of action.
        Dysktra put up 18/8/4 in just 24 minutes of action.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          I think it's a little much to call out our coaching staff for not coaching up our bigs. Dykstra and Fiegen were both basically guards in high school, they aren't going to magically be perfect post players in their first or second year.
          Not calling anybody out. I think they have done a pretty nice job with Fiegen and did so with AC as well. More pointing out how improvement in footwork, Benson often looked out of place his Freshman and Sophomore year and is now an All-American, will improve rebounding and defense. It isn't just effort and grit.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I was there and I saw every shot, watched every rebound and watched Oakland repeatedly get lay-ups largely due to poor footwork, body position on defense.

Nearly all those points came on the perimeter and there weren't many missed shots or the rebound margin would have been even greater. That said, they did what they could given the quality of the competition and should be recognized for excellent effort.

As I've said before, we don't have the level of experienced talent that the top teams have. It isn't appropriate to criticize the guy's effort or will when some of the teams their up against just have better and more experienced DI players.

Comment

Loved what I saw from Heemstra last night. He may be lanky and a little raw but he plays hard and isn't intimidated.

I've been wanting to see two posts(Dykstra, Feigen, Heemstra) play at one time all season and if Heemstra can see the floor more it will help this team out big time. Right now we can't defend the 3 because our guards are constantly going into the post to help out.

I would love to see a lineup of Wolters, Sargent, White, Dykstra, Fiegen .

Comment

Where are those stat lines against NDSU? A far inferior team to the Grizzlies on the inside. That loss looks more and more like a joke by the week. They are in this team's head like a tumor and it grows exponentially every time they play.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  Where are those stat lines against NDSU? A far inferior team to the Grizzlies on the inside. That loss looks more and more like a joke by the week. They are in this team's head like a tumor and it grows exponentially every time they play.
                  Most of Feigen's and Dykstra's points came on outside looks. I think Dykstra hit 4 three pointers and had maybe one or 2 shots in the paint (the only one I remember was on a put back from a shot that KB altered) and Feigen's points mostly came on 20 foot jumpers though he did have a nice up and under on KB. So it's not like they were scoring inside abusing KB on the offensive end. It's incredible how much of a benefit he is to a defense. The other players know they can gamble just a little bit more because they have a huge safety net behind them.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just wanted to make a comment, that NDSU gives us fits mainly because the make up of their team is so similar to ours. From what I could see, similar enough, that we both gave Oakland their 2 toughest conference games of the season.

Last night's Oakland/NDSU game made me realize that maybe the loss to NDSU isn't as bad as we make it out to be. Sometimes match ups just work against you more than you think they will......I think that is the case with NDSU this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                      Just wanted to make a comment, that NDSU gives us fits mainly because the make up of their team is so similar to ours. From what I could see, similar enough, that we both gave Oakland their 2 toughest conference games of the season.

Last night's Oakland/NDSU game made me realize that maybe the loss to NDSU isn't as bad as we make it out to be. Sometimes match ups just work against you more than you think they will......I think that is the case with NDSU this year.
                      I disagree. We couldn't shoot worth **** and our offense was stagnant. Unfortunately our defense and rebounding was even worse. I don't think it was a match-up problem with them, we just played awful.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        I disagree. We couldn't shoot worth **** and our offense was stagnant. Unfortunately our defense and rebounding was even worse. I don't think it was a match-up problem with them, we just played awful.

I agree with this assessment.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I can tell you are stuck on your opinion...and who knows you may be right.

But after reading your response I just have to ask....
                          1) Our offense was more stagnant than normal (they disrupted our flow?)
                          2) Our shooting was awful (their defense maybe?)
                          3) Our defense couldn't hang with their offense
                          4) Couldn't box them out (more length than us)

Don't those things basically describe what the definition of what a match up problem is?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            I can tell you are stuck on your opinion...and who knows you may be right.

But after reading your response I just have to ask....
                            1) Our offense was more stagnant than normal (they disrupted our flow?)
                            2) Our shooting was awful (their defense maybe?)
                            3) Our defense couldn't hang with their offense
                            4) Couldn't box them out (more length than us)

Don't those things basically describe what the definition of what a match up problem is?
                            We missed open shots and I think our rebounding seemed to stem from lack of effort. I think we were more talented and just played like ****. Difference of opinion I guess.

Comment

We missed open shots and I think our rebounding seemed to stem from lack of effort. I think we were more talented and just played like ****. Difference of opinion I guess.
                              Fair enough.....like I said, you may be right.

Comment

Working...
                              X