UW-Milwaukee GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Milwaukee GDT

Why did Dale play limited minutes and Aireus not at all?

Comment

I agree jackdistance. I'm assuming that the coaches are still trying to find a rotation. I'm also assuming they were tinkering more than normal tonight as we couldn't get a run going. That being said, Dale hardly played in the 2nd half, Aireus didn't play at all, Carlson and Heemstra logged a bunch of quality minutes, White was in foul trouble and couldn't quite get going either.

Comment

Originally posted by nidaros View Post
        the uwmilwaukee coach had a lot of good things to say about sdsu in the press conference that was on channelsurf.com. I think we got a lot of bb left to play. I concur with filbert about the weakness of the inside game, and that left the 3 wide open. Clint sargent seems to be in slump land on the perimeter and that hurts also. I think 8-2 is nothing to sneeze at, how did the bison do tonight?
        ndsu 81-und 55
        When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

UMKC loses by 21 at Idaho State . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Defensively, Nagy said we were going to take away their inside game. They hadn't shot well at all from the outside so forcing them to shoot the 3 was part of the gameplan. He basically took the blame for getting a little too tricky and tweaking the gameplan.

Offensively, I know it's not popular but sometimes when Nate dominates the ball it stifles the flow on the offensive end. I realize that many times he's able to score all by himself, but I think we need to stay balanced and keep others in the game. It seems like it's either an ISO play for Nate to create or we run a play for Clint. Clint can rise up and hit the 12 footer on a regular basis, but he can't buy a 3 this year. It seemed like we ran way more set plays for him tonight than anyone else. He needs to find his range because we need his jumpshot from the outside. Inside, I think we need to rely on Dykstra more. I'm guessing the coaches don't want to put a lot of pressure on him, but we need an inside presence at some point.

I'm happy with 7-2 at this point, but not happy with how it has happened if that makes any sense. I think we lost to 2 beatable teams.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
              I'm happy with 7-2 at this point, but not happy with how it has happened if that makes any sense. I think we lost to 2 beatable teams.
              100% of us would have taken 7-2 after 9 games before the season started. We lost to a good NDSU team and a decent Milwaukee team. We also beat E. Illinois twice, Nevada and Iowa....not too shabby.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                I agree jackdistance. I'm assuming that the coaches are still trying to find a rotation. I'm also assuming they were tinkering more than normal tonight as we couldn't get a run going. That being said, Dale hardly played in the 2nd half, Aireus didn't play at all, Carlson and Heemstra logged a bunch of quality minutes, White was in foul trouble and couldn't quite get going either.
                With the team getting down close to double digits, Dale is not the shooter we needed in at the time. I did question myself why Aireus wasn't playing (maybe an injury we don't know about). It was good that Marcus got more playing time tonight (I didn't think he played that bad).
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

What are others opinions on Carlson? He doesn't seem to do much of anything on the court and doesn't seem strong or athletic enough. Hopefully he develops but right now he should not be getting as much playing time as he does.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                    What are others opinions on Carlson? He doesn't seem to do much of anything on the court and doesn't seem strong or athletic enough. Hopefully he develops but right now he should not be getting as much playing time as he does.
                    He hurt his hand in the Nevada game. His outside shot has gotten better since high school. He liked to drive more in high school and you saw him make one of those drives last night. He works hard so that is probably why he gets the time he does(and I don't know if he made mistakes while he was out there either).
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I question why Carlson is playing so much as well? He logged as many minutes as Dale last night. Does anyone really think that Carlson on the court gives us a better chance of winning than having Dale out there? He may turn out to be good player for us in the future but right now he is not ready to play at this level. I'm afraid that until Nagy realizes that we need to have other ways to score other than the 3 pointer, we will continue to take thumpings like this from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                        I question why Carlson is playing so much as well? He logged as many minutes as Dale last night. Does anyone really think that Carlson on the court gives us a better chance of winning than having Dale out there? He may turn out to be good player for us in the future but right now he is not ready to play at this level. I'm afraid that until Nagy realizes that we need to have other ways to score other than the 3 pointer, we will continue to take thumpings like this from time to time.
                        Having watched Nagy's teams since he first became a head coach, I found this comment rather amusing.

Nagy has always been an inside-out kind of coach. He'd much rather have his teams pound the ball inside--he has in the past had no problem trading twos for threes if the twos are coming from one to six feet from the basket. Occasionally this has come back to bite his teams.

He hasn't been able to do that since the move to D-I. It is actually fairly unlikely he'll be able to do it with any regularity ever again (unless he becomes coach at Duke or Kansas or Kentucky or somewhere that has the pick of the 6'10" horses every single year.)

What he has this year is a very good outside shooting team, including an emerging all-conference point guard who's still a sophomore, a pretty good senior slasher-type guard who shouldn't ever, EVER take a 3-point shot but who can occasionally take over a game with sheer be-everywhere-at-once energy, a senior pure-shooter guard who draws defenders like flies, and a bunch of freshmen who are just now figuring out that D-I basketball is just a bit different than high school hoops.

Other teams have figured out what kind of team SDSU is, and they are now able to game-plan to take our team strength (outside shooting) away from us. Nagy and his coaching staff now need to adjust to that, and get his team to make those adjustments.

I suspect the adjustment will be something like a lot more drives by the guards from the perimeter towards the basket--yielding either easy layups, or kick-outs to open shooters--possibly including a lot more inside-out plays where whoever's at the post and/or strong forward--Dykstra, Heemstra, Fiegen, White, Callahan, for the most part, I'd guess--rotates out and starts shooting a LOT of outside/3-point shots instead of trying to post up so much.

All of the guards are going to have to accept a lot more contact on those drives. They'll get pounded quite a bit. They'll rack up a lot of charging fouls. But they'll shoot a lot of free throws, too. The guard rotation will need to go deep into the bench--you'll need to substitute guards more frequently, both to keep them fresh, and to use up all those fouls you have on the bench. The bottom line is that our guards, whoever they are on the court, have to get a LOT more aggressive about driving on whoever's covering them.

Nate Wolters seemed to sense that this is where we needed to go a couple games ago. That's what he's been doing. The other guards need to do it too--even if they won't be as adept as Wolters at doing it. They need to offer the threat. Otherwise the opponents will just continue to mug our guards on the perimeter and not give them the separation they need for a good 3-point look.

This will be a big change from the motion offense we've been used to watching--which winds up being a pass-it-around-the-perimeter-for-thirty-seconds-looking-for-an-open-interior-guy-then-taking-whatever-shot-you-can-in-the-last-five-seconds sort of offense that the motion offense degenerates into when you've got guys that are a combination of over-matched and overwhelmed by the system that we've seen all too often in the past five or six years.

On defense, I wonder if we might have to go to a triangle-and-two or some such scheme to cover our relative weakness on the interior, yet leave sufficient guard-play outside to cover up the wide open 3-point looks we're giving the opponents with regularity. It's a bit of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation, until we have a sufficiently physical interior defensive presence that other teams will respect--something we don't have now. Our current front-line guys need to be willing to give up their bodies and give fouls to aggressively defend the inside. That's the only real way that the guards will be able to stay out on the outside shooters, I'm afraid. Fiegen, Heemstra, and Djkstra need to resign themselves to fouling out--each of them--as many times as it takes to establish that the Jackrabbits won't just lie down and let other teams steamroll them inside any more. I'd tell them that they each need to have at least two fouls by the end of the first half or they're not trying hard enough, and that at least one of them should have five fouls by the end of the game unless the Jacks are cruising to victory.

Our opponents have made their adjustments. Our turn now. And so it goes.

(And this is why I've been a high-level D-I coach all these years! )

(And yes, I am full of it! )
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                          I thought he played decently last night. Nothing that great, but nothing that bad. I don't think he warranted more minutes than Chad White though. I haven't looked at the box score but it seemed like he played more than Chad last night.

Looking it up, Chad played 20, Brayden played 17.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            I thought he played decently last night. Nothing that great, but nothing that bad. I don't think he warranted more minutes than Chad White though. I haven't looked at the box score but it seemed like he played more than Chad last night.

White also got two fouls early,and sat the rest of the first half.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              White also got two fouls early,and sat the rest of the first half.
                              That will cut into your playing time. I do not know much about Calrson except he is a nephew of Don Jacobesn. If he has 10 per cent of Don Jacobsen's work ethic, he has earned a spot on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

Also looking at the boxscore; no points, no assists, no rebounds, no blocks, no steals. Just 4 missed shots and 1 foul. I don't think his defense was stellar either. He just seems to be taking up one of our 5 positions on the court and not doing anything while he's out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X