Negativity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negativity

Wanted to post this after TV's chat yesterday, but I thought that I should calm down a bit. But, as I came into work this morning it was still eating at me. While I am remaining cautiously optimistic about this team, there seems to be a good many Jackrabbit "fans" that are almost upset at the early season success. Whether it be the scheduling or about Nagy they seem to still want to get their digs in on the team.

Until we can have a fanbase that is excited that the team is playing well and shows up to the games I will continue to be disappointed by the fans.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: Negativity

I didn't catch the chat live, but read through it late last night.

I couldn't believe all the Nagy/schedule bashing.

All a team can do is go out there and beat whoever is on their schedule.

I really don't know what will appease some of those people.

Well, I do know what will appease some of those people, but it isn't going to happen.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      Wanted to post this after TV's chat yesterday, but I thought that I should calm down a bit. But, as I came into work this morning it was still eating at me. While I am remaining cautiously optimistic about this team, there seems to be a good many Jackrabbit "fans" that are almost upset at the early season success. Whether it be the scheduling or about Nagy they seem to still want to get their digs in on the team.

Until we can have a fanbase that is excited that the team is playing well and shows up to the games I will continue to be disappointed by the fans.
      There is irony in here somewhere.

Something about fans who can't dislike the actions of a coach who is constantly disliking the actions of the players...

I'm happy with the team so far, and overall happy with Nagy. He has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years, IMO, and it has been for the better.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Like I said on the chat yesterday,I don't understand people's problems with the schedule. Playing two Big Ten teams plus 4 or 5 games against teams that made the Big Dance is a pretty good non-conference schedule in my opinion. The odds of getting a major conference men's team( Big 10;Big 12,ACC,SEC,Big East,etc..) to come to Frost are slim to none. Not sure what people want - we complain that the football schedule should have more cupcake home games at the front of the schedule.

Comment

This year has been nothing but good feelings for Coach Nagy and the team. I think we should just ignore the synics. Hopefully we will continue to make strides.

Comment

I would point out that it was just a couple of naysayers that were whining on the chat yesterday. Sometimes you just have to block the background noise out. All the state folks I talk to are excited about the mens team. And tomorrow night will get alot more on board. Im bringing 6 people on a three hour drive to get there!

Comment

I read through the live chat. I was too amazed about the negativity toward Coach Nagy. Seems like he can't win with some fans.

Wasn't most of the negativity about Coach Nagy "foot stomping"? Doesn't AJ do a lot of "foot stomping"?

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                I would point out that it was just a couple of naysayers that were whining on the chat yesterday. Sometimes you just have to block the background noise out. All the state folks I talk to are excited about the mens team. And tomorrow night will get alot more on board. Im bringing 6 people on a three hour drive to get there!

This is the most important point of all.

Mature fans realize that this is the price you pay for success; that there will always be people trying to pull you back down the mountain even when you get to the top.
                The good thing is we have success expectations that are both realistic and in keeping with the great history of basketball at South Dakota State.
                Go Jacks. Win Saturday. But if you don't, we're still fans.

Comment

I suspect one or two of those blowhard critics are really SDSU haters, not Jacks fans. They don't deserve much attention. They don't even deserve the attention of this thread. This year's team is good, fun, united and young, and it's burying the negativity that's haunted the mens program since the rocky start of the transition. A new era finally has begun, and a couple of haters don't like it. It's no big deal.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

The "squeaky wheel" syndrome is probably in effect with the naysayers currently chirping about a 6-0 team that's absolutely dominating its opponents right now.

There's also a "once burned twice shy" piece of human nature going on, too. People who were big SDSU basketball fans got worn down by the bad years and dropped away. Some of them won't ever come back. Others--will take a while, and some of those may never be as vehement as they once were. Some others will come back stronger fans than ever, once they're convinced that this time it's for real.

Human nature. It took five years to lose all those 5,000+ crowds (and actually, there weren't really that many of those, we remember more of them than I think there really were) and it will take a year or two to build them back.

Something else people have mentioned on other threads is that, to some extent, the concept of a "pre-season" in the D-II NCC days still lingers in the minds of area basketball fans, I think. They haven't grown up to think that the games before New Year's Day might just be--if anything--more interesting, challenging, and important in some ways than the conference games. But the reality in D-I basketball is that there are two seasons, vitally important in different ways: Non-Conference and Conference seasons.

The Non-Conference season establishes where not only your team but also your conference stands in the nation as a whole, and is critical for NCAA tournament seeding of the conference champion, no matter who that is. The Conference season is important for obvious reasons.

It will take time for area fans to properly value the non-conference part of the schedule, I think.

Finally, there will always be those people who just simply don't like the coach, no matter who it is. I imagine I could walk around Kansas City for a while and find a sports fan who isn't real happy with Bill Self at Kansas. You should have heard the radio talk shows down here after KU got beat by Northern Iowa in the tournament last year. (Most fans have more sense, but it seems that the ones that don't are also the ones that are prone to call in to talk shows.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      The "squeaky wheel" syndrome is probably in effect with the naysayers currently chirping about a 6-0 team that's absolutely dominating its opponents right now.

There's also a "once burned twice shy" piece of human nature going on, too. People who were big SDSU basketball fans got worn down by the bad years and dropped away. Some of them won't ever come back. Others--will take a while, and some of those may never be as vehement as they once were. Some others will come back stronger fans than ever, once they're convinced that this time it's for real.

Human nature. It took five years to lose all those 5,000+ crowds (and actually, there weren't really that many of those, we remember more of them than I think there really were) and it will take a year or two to build them back.

Something else people have mentioned on other threads is that, to some extent, the concept of a "pre-season" in the D-II NCC days still lingers in the minds of area basketball fans, I think. They haven't grown up to think that the games before New Year's Day might just be--if anything--more interesting, challenging, and important in some ways than the conference games. But the reality in D-I basketball is that there are two seasons, vitally important in different ways: Non-Conference and Conference seasons.

The Non-Conference season establishes where not only your team but also your conference stands in the nation as a whole, and is critical for NCAA tournament seeding of the conference champion, no matter who that is. The Conference season is important for obvious reasons.

It will take time for area fans to properly value the non-conference part of the schedule, I think.

Finally, there will always be those people who just simply don't like the coach, no matter who it is. I imagine I could walk around Kansas City for a while and find a sports fan who isn't real happy with Bill Self at Kansas. You should have heard the radio talk shows down here after KU got beat by Northern Iowa in the tournament last year. (Most fans have more sense, but it seems that the ones that don't are also the ones that are prone to call in to talk shows.)
                      Exactly. I think we have some fans that don't understand D1 scheduling.

I'm guessing we have a few fans that think we should have home games with Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas. Then, the rest of the non-conference slate should be filled out with 8 games with USD.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                        Exactly. I think we have some fans that don't understand D1 scheduling.

I'm guessing we have a few fans that think we should have home games with Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas. Then, the rest of the non-conference slate should be filled out with 8 games with USD.

Correction, they think we should WIN home games with Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas. By double digits. With Nagy sitting placidly in his chair and then leading the student secion in a post-game kumbaya.

Comment

I also missed the live chat yesterday, but read through it last night. I was surprised (as was TV) with the tone of the conversation, but then it dawned on me. I was reading the AL live chat and thought about some of the 'tools' that share their brilliance on there.

The 1998 NFC Championship game gave me some perspective (that I still wrestle with, I might add). After screaming and almost making myself physically ill, my wife shared several observations that I carry with me today. 1) I am no fun to watch NFL games with. 2) Despite my volume and intensity, my yelling at the television will never affect the outcome of the game. 3) The Vikings will never win the Superbowl, until they are in LA and then they will win a lot of them.

That 'perspective' is always there, but I often need to remind myself. My pride in being a Jackrabbit friend, Alum and fan challenges that perspective. But in reality, these are kids playing games and we can support them with voices of cheer, rumps in seats and representing our school with pride, but we'll never win a game from the seats.

Comment

How in the world could anyone have an issue w/ our schedule? We're getting Nevada and UW-Milwaukee to come to Frost. Go look around Summit teams schedules - not many are getting home games like this, let alone getting SEVEN straight games at home. Of the 6 games we've played two were against a 19-win EIU team from last year picked to finish 3rd in their conference, one against a Big Ten and another against the WAC Champ. WTH do you want?!?!?!

I don't get the people who want us to play a bunch of games against powerhouse teams. Why? I vote for 2-3 a year, that's it. What is the benefit of getting hammered by Kansas? Is getting beat by 30 really good exposure? I think our basketball schedule is about perfect this year. We have a few patsies, a few tough teams, alot of winnable games and a nice amount of home games.

Comment

I was part of the chat yesterday, and thought about starting a similar thread. It was really peculiar. Some people are on a ledge and the Jacks are 6-0? What? And then it was poor scheduling? What? A 7 game home stand with Nevada and UW-Milwaukee. Pretty incredible stuff. The poor crowds have me scratching my head as well. Nevada should have drawn 4000 minimum in my opinion.
                              So in case some of those people involved in the chat yesterday are on here:
                              1) We will NOT GET A BIG 12, A BIG EAST an ACC a whatever to come to Frost. EVER.
                              2)COACHES YELL AT PLAYERS, they YELL at REFS! I like the emotion, it means he cares and is focused on what they need to do to continue winning!
                              3)How come when the Jacks win, the other team must be a cupcake? Nice job fans.
                              4) Get on board or go watch tennis. Those coaches don't say a word.
                              5) Those players are winning with Nagy, not in spite of him.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X