10. Steve Holdren F 6-5 215 So.
    11. Mark Engen C 6-10 200 Fr.
    12. Robert Bilitz C 6-10 200 Fr.
    13. Ben Beran F 6-7 230 Jr.
    14. Michael Loney F 6-6 225 So.
    15. Mohamed Berte F 6'8 215 Jr.

Looks like the team is complete!

Re: 2005-06 SDSU Men's Basketball Roster

Something happen to Joe Green? Or did you just forget him??

Comment

Information I have from a good source, he is no longer with the team. That has not been independently varified.

I hope it is wrong.

Comment

I hope it's wrong as well, he was playing damn good ball at the end of the year...

Comment

I'm pretty sure Keller and Cadwell should be listed as redshirt freshmen.

Should Green not return, I'd guess the depth chart/position rotations vs. Illinois might be something like:
          Starters: Kleinjan, Holdren, Gilbert, Beran, Berte'.

Point: Kleinjan, Cadwell, Hornby(?), Casey, Keller
          Cadwell might very well start the season here, but I'll give it to Kleinjan based on the fact he and Beran will basically be the only experienced upperclassmen on the team, and leadership has to come from somewhere. If Andy struggles as a D-I point guard, Cadwell (probably) and Hornby or Casey (possibly) could wind up with significant minutes and some starts. Regardless, to have a successful (i.e. over-.500) year, at least two of these five guys will need to have steady and dependable performances (good defense, running the team with limited turnovers--scoring is purely a plus), otherwise we'll have to turn to Holdren to bring the ball up the court, reducing his offensive effectiveness.

Shooting Guard: Holdren, Cadwell, Hornby(?), Kleinjan, Yackley
          If Holdren gets most of his minutes at the off guard, that will be a very good sign, because it will mean we don't have to move him to the point or forward positions to cover weaknesses elsewhere. I think we'd like to use Cadwell, Hornby, or Yackley here for short stretches defensively against the other team's backup off guard until they catch on to the defensive side of the college game. A productive Yackley would be huge here, as the defensive side of this position is critical against the better teams (the best scorers are often at the off guard), and the offensive side of this position is essential to consistent team success.

Small Forward: Gilbert, Loney, Holdren, Yackley, DeWaard
          Andre', we need you, buddy. There's some good players in this group but the 3 spot would let Gilbert's athleticism show best, I think. Like Holdren at the 2, if Andre' is getting most of his minutes here, that's a very good sign.

Power Forward: Beran, Loney, Gilbert, Berte', Holdren.
          With Gilbert on one wing and somebody else (Berte' or Loney, probably) taking up space under the basket, Ben or Michael will hopefully find some room to operate on the other wing. If Holdren's playing here, we're in serious foul trouble.

Center: Berte', Loney, Beran
          You reallywant Berte' to come in and be an effective center. If he can stand up to the physical play at the D-I post, that will be another good sign. I'd still prefer a beefier player at the post, honestly. Loney and Beran will probably get plenty of minutes here as well, and Beran could very well be the opening game starter with Loney starting at the 4. We really need these three guys to handle the 4 and 5 positions for the most part, allowing Gilbert and Holdren to stay at home, so to speak.

Redshirts: Hornby(?), Engen, Bilitz

Judging from Hornby's web site, I'm not sure if he'll sit still for a redshirt year but it would probably do him good. It would be very good to see Casey come back and really compete for time at the point. Depth at that position is critical to success.

That's what I think as of now, April 13th . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            I'm pretty sure Keller and Cadwell should be listed as redshirt freshmen.

You are right!  I made an error, but it was Gilbert, Keller and Cadwell.  I meant to go back and change that but I had to leave and forgot about it.  Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Good analysis, both by JBQJBN and filbert on what we can expect next year. I am somewhat disappointed with the rumors that Joe Green has left the program. I thought he was just starting to find his role at the end of the season. I understand he has had his issues with training and so forth so maybe its not a big surprise that he has left the program.

I have nothing to verfiy the departure. With all these new faces, experience still on the lean side. Its going to take time. I think Coach Nagy has the talent to work with which he did not have last year. It would be nice to bump off all the D1 opponents at home, but maybe that is too much to expect

Comment

Based on the current roster this years team will have to push the ball and Kleinjan cannot do that. His role needs to be that of a spot-up shooter coming of the bench for short spell.

Cadwell, Hornby and Holdren will have to do the ball handling with Casey getting a few minutes. Gilbert, Holdren, Berte and Yackley should be able to face the basket. Beran has improved his ability at the 3 and 4 spot but he turns the ball over a lot. Loney, Beran and Berte need to defend the middle and rebound.

Its going to take some time for these guys to gel and I don't think practice will be enough. With a full DI schedule 10 wins would be a great accomplishment for this group. No seniors and 4 juniors means some lessons will be taught and hopefully learned.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  Based on the current roster this years team will have to push the ball and Kleinjan cannot do that. His role needs to be that of a spot-up shooter coming of the bench for short spell.

Cadwell, Hornby and Holdren will have to do the ball handling with Casey getting a few minutes. Gilbert, Holdren, Berte and Yackley should be able to face the basket. Beran has improved his ability at the 3 and 4 spot but he turns the ball over a lot. Loney, Beran and Berte need to defend the middle and rebound.

Its going to take some time for these guys to gel and I don't think practice will be enough. With a full DI schedule 10 wins would be a great accomplishment for this group. No seniors and 4 juniors means some lessons will be taught and hopefully learned.
                  I understand it's optimistic, but I'm still hoping for a .500 year this year. I agree we'll still have a very young team, and it may be too much to expect that all of the maybes and question marks come out on the positive side.

Still, I want to see a .500 D-I record next year, dag nab it!
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The one thing I was surprised with the most this past year was how slow our defenders were in moving their feet.  Our big guys were getting beat to the lane and picking up lazy fouls.  I thought Joe was pretty good at not reaching/slapping, so I will be sad if he isn't around for his last 2 years.  Maybe I'm the only one who thought this.  
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I've also heard that Green may be done with the team. Nothing official, friend of a friend type thing, but I've heard there has been some character issues with him.

Comment

we now have two jack02. just keep in mind that i am the first. j/k welcome to the board and thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by jacks02
                          we now have two jack02. just keep in mind that i am the first. j/k welcome to the board and thanks for the information
                          I was a little confused with that as well. I bet this one plays a little better golf than the original! Of course, that doesn't take much

Comment

Joe Green has left the team, by a mutual agreement.
                            These are still young men, and off court mistakes can lead to problems on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
                              Joe Green has left the team, by a mutual agreement.
                              These are still young men, and off court mistakes can lead to problems on the court.
                              Exactly, I believe he had several chances. Just rumor of course. We'll miss his athleticism. Good luck to Joe.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X