Walk Ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk Ons

August being silly season and all, I have a topic for discussion.

This year's walk ons (as best as I can tell, feel free to correct me)

Ryan McCutcheon
    Dwight Pederson

Typically walk ons play the role of practice player, pushing the big dogs to get better everyday.

The questions I have are:

When was the last time a walk on contributed significantly at SDSU?

When was the last time a walk on was promoted to a scholarship at SDSU?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Walk Ons

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    August being silly season and all, I have a topic for discussion.

This year's walk ons (as best as I can tell, feel free to correct me)

Ryan McCutcheon
    Dwight Pederson

Typically walk ons play the role of practice player, pushing the big dogs to get better everyday.

The questions I have are:

When was the last time a walk on contributed significantly at SDSU?

When was the last time a walk on was promoted to a scholarship at SDSU?
    #1 2008-09 Payton Tivis started 6 games

#2 2010-11 Brayden Carlson (all-conference and first-team all-state selections ... also earned Argus Leader First Five and Brookings Register Player of the Year honors and won the three-class shootout class ‘AA’ MVP honors … a member of the National Honor Society for his work in the classroom … also earned academic all-state honors for both basketball and football)

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      #1 2008-09 Payton Tivis started 6 games

#2 2010-11 Brayden Carlson (all-conference and first-team all-state selections ... also earned Argus Leader First Five and Brookings Register Player of the Year honors and won the three-class shootout class ‘AA’ MVP honors … a member of the National Honor Society for his work in the classroom … also earned academic all-state honors for both basketball and football)
      I could be wrong, but I thing Carlson walked on as a freshman with the understanding that he would be a scholarship player after that since there were no scholarships available at the time.

I forgot about Tivis. I don't mean any disrespect to his contributions in 08-09, but he only averaged 7.6 minutes per game that season which would put him behind 9 other guys on the team. Did he get a scholarship last season?
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I forgot about Tivis. I don't mean any disrespect to his contributions in 08-09, but he only averaged 7.6 minutes per game that season which would put him behind 9 other guys on the team. Did he get a scholarship last season?
        I don't look at the amount of minutes as the leading indicator of a players value. Tivis' minutes were really needed by the team that year. He was working his arse off while he was in there.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Mackenzie Casey was a walk-on his first four years (including a redshirt year). He played in a majority of the games during his first three years and was a starter for a while during his scholarship year as a senior.

Comment

Casey was a walk-on because his scholarship money came from another avenue.

Ryan Yackley was not on scholarship at all and he started for the Jacks when he was on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              Casey was a walk-on because his scholarship money came from another avenue.

Ryan Yackley was not on scholarship at all and he started for the Jacks when he was on the team.
              ...you mean Blake Yackley. But you are correct in your statements.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

According to Coach Nagy, Payton has been given a scholarship for this year.

Comment

Heard from a very good source that T.J. McCauley has a tryout coming up with the team soon. He is enrolled in class and is on campus. For those not familiar, he was the starting point guard on the 2006 Pierre state runner-up and 2007 Little Wound state runner-up teams. He was state all-tourney for both teams. He was a two time Juco All-American at Bismarck State and played in the Juco All-American All-Star game in Texas after his sophomore season.

Here is an excerpt from a Bismarck Tribune article:
                  Bismarck State guard T.J. McCauley might want to consider participating in track and field in addition to men's basketball

McCauley took off running, and the Gogebic Community College Samsons couldn't catch him in a semifinal game of the NJCAA Region 13 tournament on Sunday night. McCauley led all scorers with 27 points in an 89-74 victory at the BSC Armory.

I know there are (ahem!) some Pierre and S.D. fans who are still upset that he left Pierre after his junior year, (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...8307e3c94.html) but he spent three years at Bismarck (two playing and one getting enough transferrable credits), so you have to give the kid some credit. Good luck to T.J.!

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                    Heard from a very good source that T.J. McCauley has a tryout coming up with the team soon. He is enrolled in class and is on campus. For those not familiar, he was the starting point guard on the 2006 Pierre state runner-up and 2007 Little Wound state runner-up teams. He was state all-tourney for both teams. He was a two time Juco All-American at Bismarck State and played in the Juco All-American All-Star game in Texas after his sophomore season.

Here is an excerpt from a Bismarck Tribune article:
                    Bismarck State guard T.J. McCauley might want to consider participating in track and field in addition to men's basketball

McCauley took off running, and the Gogebic Community College Samsons couldn't catch him in a semifinal game of the NJCAA Region 13 tournament on Sunday night. McCauley led all scorers with 27 points in an 89-74 victory at the BSC Armory.

I know there are (ahem!) some Pierre and S.D. fans who are still upset that he left Pierre after his junior year, (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...8307e3c94.html) but he spent three years at Bismarck (two playing and one getting enough transferrable credits), so you have to give the kid some credit. Good luck to T.J.!
                    Lets hope he makes the team. He sounds like someone with ability.

Comment

I am pretty sure his fiance also goes to SDSU

Comment

He could be a very nice addition to the team.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          He could be a very nice addition to the team.
                          Totally dependent on his willingness to accept whatever role is defined for him by the coaching staff. It doesn't hurt his chances that we are in need of a few bodies.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It may benefit him if he could redshirt. We have 9 guards on the team this year if you count Chad White as a guard. I'm assuming Ryan McCutcheon would redshirt this year too. That leaves 8 guards on the active roster.

Our 3 seniors this year are all guards, so that will obviously create a void for next year. However, he will likely start the season as 3rd on the depth chart at point guard next year behind Wolters and Stephenson. If he comes back for a third season (redshirt, junior, senior), he could be a valuable back up for Wolters.

Jackmd is spot on when he said he will have to accept a role defined by the coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              It may benefit him if he could redshirt. We have 9 guards on the team this year if you count Chad White as a guard. I'm assuming Ryan McCutcheon would redshirt this year too. That leaves 8 guards on the active roster.

Our 3 seniors this year are all guards, so that will obviously create a void for next year. However, he will likely start the season as 3rd on the depth chart at point guard next year behind Wolters and Stephenson. If he comes back for a third season (redshirt, junior, senior), he could be a valuable back up for Wolters.

Jackmd is spot on when he said he will have to accept a role defined by the coaches.
                              Isn't this the case for every guy on the roster?

Comment

Working...
                              X