X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis cut

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ams/548700002/

Re: Tennis cut

That should make others happy. Practicing on the track in the hyper isn't going to cut it being D-1. If Brookings would get a couple indoor courts it would have helped. To bad since the state and tri state region has pretty decent tennis at the high school level.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Which Summit League schools sponsor tennis?

MEN: Denver; ORU; Omaha, SDSU (dropping after this season); Drake; Valparaiso; illinois State; UND joining next season.

WOMEN: Denver; ORU; Omaha; SDSU (dropping after this season); Western Illinois; USD. UND joining next season.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        To bad since the state and tri state region has pretty decent tennis at the high school level.
        Most Div I tennis players are not from region but from overseas.

Comment

This about had to happen IMO. We just weren't anywhere close to competitive. The money spent on tennis can now be used for other sports.

They will honor the athletes scholarships if they choose to stay. Is that common when schools cut sports?

Comment

Ironic, UND keeping both men and women tennis, SDSU is dropping.

Comment

So I looked at the past season on gojacks.com to see how we have fared in both men's and women's tennis. Seasons only went back to the 06-07. Here are the yearly results with totals.

Men Women
              Year Win Loss Year Win Loss
              17-18 1 18 17-18 0 18
              16-17 3 18 16-17 2 19
              15-16 12 12 15-16 16 10
              14-15 14 10 14-15 15 8
              13-14 16 8 13-14 18 8
              12-13 11 11 12-13 15 10
              11-12 7 14 11-12 8 13
              10-11 10 10 10-11 5 14
              09-10 11 11 09-10 7 15
              08-09 6 14 08-09 9 13
              07-08 6 14 07-08 3 16
              06-07 1 15 06-07 5 10

Total 98 155 Total 103 154
              Winning % 38.74% Winning % 40.08%

Combined Total 201 309
              Combined Winning Percentage 39.41%

Looks like we were decent from 201-2016 then dropped off significantly. Before that, we were not good either. Any idea why the big drop off? Loss of a good coach?

Overall, looks like a good decision to cut base off of past performance and severe lack of facilities to support the sport. Do we even have outdoor tennis courts any more? I feel bad for the people affected and wish them luck in the future. Hopefully the players will stay Jacks.

*EDIT* Well that format doesn't look like any thing like I typed up. Sorry for the crappy table.

20180425_110333.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                So I looked at the past season on gojacks.com to see how we have fared in both men's and women's tennis. Seasons only went back to the 06-07. Here are the yearly results with totals.

Men Women
                Year Win Loss Year Win Loss
                17-18 1 18 17-18 0 18
                16-17 3 18 16-17 2 19
                15-16 12 12 15-16 16 10
                14-15 14 10 14-15 15 8
                13-14 16 8 13-14 18 8
                12-13 11 11 12-13 15 10
                11-12 7 14 11-12 8 13
                10-11 10 10 10-11 5 14
                09-10 11 11 09-10 7 15
                08-09 6 14 08-09 9 13
                07-08 6 14 07-08 3 16
                06-07 1 15 06-07 5 10

Total 98 155 Total 103 154
                Winning % 38.74% Winning % 40.08%

Combined Total 201 309
                Combined Winning Percentage 39.41%

Looks like we were decent from 201-2016 then dropped off significantly. Before that, we were not good either. Any idea why the big drop off? Loss of a good coach?

Overall, looks like a good decision to cut base off of past performance and severe lack of facilities to support the sport. Do we even have outdoor tennis courts any more? I feel bad for the people affected and wish them luck in the future. Hopefully the players will stay Jacks.

*EDIT* Well that format doesn't look like any thing like I typed up. Sorry for the crappy table.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]960[/ATTACH]
                From your post, clearly non-competitive. Sendlike I recall a few endowed scholarships for tennis. What happens to them? Amendments!?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Most Div I tennis players are not from region but from overseas.
                  now they are. But I was just saying there was talent in the region to recruit from, but most who are good enough go to a tennis school or program that is good not staying local at SDSU. When I was on the tennis team yes it was D-2 at SDSU, but Tommy Chiu and Ben Barnes were 1 and 2 at SDSU and were from SF. I would venture they were better then most of the players that came when it was D-1.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I wonder how that effects title IX since there are more women's scholarships than mens in tennis?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      I wonder how that effects title IX since there are more women's scholarships than mens in tennis?
                      Add 1 more equestrian rider?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        Add 1 more equestrian rider?
                        Since there were more women's scholarships then men's, I would think that would add another baseball, men's track & field or men's swimmer. I assume basketball, football and wrestling are up to the max number of scholarships allowed.
                        I didn't look any of this up so I could be way off but this is just my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          If I remember right, former player Michael engdahl was head coach during those years. Had the program going in the right direction but left for something in the private sector I think. Must have been a heck of a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            Since there were more women's scholarships then men's, I would think that would add another baseball, men's track & field or men's swimmer. I assume basketball, football and wrestling are up to the max number of scholarships allowed.
                            I didn't look any of this up so I could be way off but this is just my guess.

I think you might have this thought backwards, We (May have) needed the extra Female $$ here to compensate for Wrestling or Football.

Comment

[QUOTE=Evolution Prime;331208]

SDSU did lose their coach after the 2015-16 season but I don't know enough about tennis to know if they were senior heavy that year, the new coach wasn't as good or what. It has only been a couple of years since then. About half of the players on SDSU's roster this year were freshmen so you would think there would have been some upperclassmen the last couple of years but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X