Spring Game thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game thoughts

This may or may not be in response to someone else's post on here, take it for what it's worth.

The O-Line coach does NOT just recruit the O-Lineman. Each coach has a territory and tries to bring in the best players from that area. Maybe our lack of good O-Line recruits (in some opinions) is on the other coaches.

I stated previously, the defense always looks better in the spring. Just because the season ended five months ago does not mean players have had time to "gel". Unless you're on the field going live you're not gelling. That's a fact. If you doubt my knowledge of this ask around, I've got some pretty strong credentials to back up my statements.

I have never been the biggest supporter of SDSU's O-Line coach, but someone needs to back the heck off. If in week three the O-Line sucks, then yeah, start pointing some fingers at the coaching. Spring ball, give me a break. Playoff runs don't happen in April, they happen in November.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

What has the O line been doing the past 5 months? I know that Defense usually looks better in the spring, but look at the situation at hand. The spring game was, as I said earlier, EMBARRASSING. The RB's could not even get the hand off without getting met in the backfield, and TOB got sacked every other pass play. The passes he did complete where all 3 step quick stuff. If the O line was even halfway decent don't you think they could have done a little better in the spring game? It is ok to be an optimist about the O line situation, but when October comes around everyone on here will be saying the exact same thing I am right now.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        This may or may not be in response to someone else's post on here, take it for what it's worth.

The O-Line coach does NOT just recruit the O-Lineman. Each coach has a territory and tries to bring in the best players from that area. Maybe our lack of good O-Line recruits (in some opinions) is on the other coaches.

I stated previously, the defense always looks better in the spring. Just because the season ended five months ago does not mean players have had time to "gel". Unless you're on the field going live you're not gelling. That's a fact. If you doubt my knowledge of this ask around, I've got some pretty strong credentials to back up my statements.

I have never been the biggest supporter of SDSU's O-Line coach, but someone needs to back the heck off. If in week three the O-Line sucks, then yeah, start pointing some fingers at the coaching. Spring ball, give me a break. Playoff runs don't happen in April, they happen in November.
        Yes I am aware of the logistics of College recruiting, and I do not question your "credentials" but the position coach or is responsible for making sure his guys that get signed are legit. Coach M is also the "assistant coach" so it is not like he doesn't have the power to get the recruit wants. I agree with you that the reason why our O line looks so poor right now is not just a reflection of that coach, but of the entire staff who have poorly recruited the most important position group on the field

Comment

Originally posted by JRabFan33 View Post
          Yes I am aware of the logistics of College recruiting, and I do not question your "credentials" but the position coach or is responsible for making sure his guys that get signed are legit. Coach M is also the "assistant coach" so it is not like he doesn't have the power to get the recruit wants. I agree with you that the reason why our O line looks so poor right now is not just a reflection of that coach, but of the entire staff who have poorly recruited the most important position group on the field
          I understand some are frustrated with the coaching staff's playcalling and/or recruiting (which I find preposterous personally as far as the recruiting is concerned) and have every right to question it if they feel its necessary, but consider the words of Christopher Walken, "Your tone's all wrong. You got the wrong tone."

Here are our top rushers for the past 10 seasons

2001) Josh Ranek - 1804 yards
          2002) Scott Nedved - 692 yards, as a team we had over 1000
          2003) Anthony Watson - 1054 yards
          2004) Anthony Watson - 1088 yards
          2005) Cory Koenig - 987, Watson - 908, Trevor Hohn - 379
          2006) Watson - 742, Koenig - 549, Andy Kardoes - 233, team 1649
          2007) Koenig - 1266, Kyle Minnett - 476
          2008) Minnett - 1289, Tyler Duffy - 302
          2009) Minnett - 1302, Duffy - 265

The history here demonstrates to me that our offensive line will be fine come September. I am sure there have been lots of questions regarding the O-line in the past as the season approaches but these rushing statistics are a pretty good indicator that our coaching staff knows what they are doing as far as developing offensive linemen.

EDIT: This doesn't even take into consideration that we have had Dan Fjedheim, Brad Nelson, and Ryan Berry all set and break records over the past decade behind these same offensive lines.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Another factor could be scholarship availability and roster sizes over the past 6-7 years.

Expanding rosters can create some odd vacancy patterns for a while. The swim teams have a huge number of incoming freshmen, the soccer team graduated a -ton- of players last year ('08 season). That corresponds to funding increases during transition.

I think it would be interesting to look at the past 7 years of classes, and see if/when there was an outsize class of O-linemen brought in that has created a ripple effect.

I'm not as convinced of this as the guy who thinks that Meadows should be roasted on a spit and then fed to starving Bison fans, but heck, if being convinced that you're right was the only thing that mattered..................

Comment

Wouldnt worry about the O-line problems until the "real" games in September are played. The coaches will have the O-line ready to play and open up holes for the RBs come September

Comment

Gotta keep in mind our O-Line is, in addition to being young, also banged up right now. I believe Terry said they didn't even have enough guys to go two deep in practice.

Knips and Bender are both in NFL camps and McKnight was first team all-conference, I think Meadows is doing just fine with recruiting and developing players.

Comment

JRab,
                  It was stated earlier that 2 of the 5 projected starters did not play because of injuries. If I remember correctly they may have some others sit or get limited reps because of injury. How do you factor that in to your analysis (serious question)? I was not at the game and only listened to a portion on the radio, but have to admit that when I heard the score I was somewhat concerned as most people indicated the scoring system for the game was heavily skewed.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Gotta keep in mind our O-Line is, in addition to being young, also banged up right now.
                    That is a bit on an understatement. Jon Fick went through a part of last year and all of spring camp with a torn ulnar collateral ligament, the same one that causes Tommy John Surgery. Jacob Ludemann has been limited in much of camp by a torn labrum. Both offense and defense had their days where they shined during the spring, there were days where the defense couldn't stop the offense. Like Saturday, there were also days where the defense beat up the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      I understand some are frustrated with the coaching staff's playcalling and/or recruiting (which I find preposterous personally as far as the recruiting is concerned)
                      I agree with this. I have questioned the playcalling here in the past, so I won't go over that again, but as far as I can tell, SDSU has had the talent to compete with most teams they have faced.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Get over it. Everything is fine. The Offense is fine...the Defense is exceptional. It was a scrimmage.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          Get over it. Everything is fine. The Offense is fine...the Defense is exceptional. It was a scrimmage.
                          This.

Comment

I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?
                            Thoughts? THOUGHTS? Well I will keep most of them private over what you just said. I will say that from my personal experience that Meadows is probrably the best O-line coach that I have had the privilege to see coach or have coach me. You spouting off about how "horrid" the o-line was makes me question your football intelligence. You obviously don't understand the complexities of a college offensive playbook, or the impact that injuries have on a group, or that spring ball is only for one month, and that a defense has a much easier time getting on track, especially when you practice every day against the exact team you will be playing in the scrimmage. Calling for the O-line coaches head after we just had a season with a top ten in the nation for rushing yds running back when teams knew thats what they had to stop is friggin insane.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

What has the O line been doing the past 5 months? I know that Defense usually looks better in the spring, but look at the situation at hand. The spring game was, as I said earlier, EMBARRASSING. The RB's could not even get the hand off without getting met in the backfield, and TOB got sacked every other pass play. The passes he did complete where all 3 step quick stuff. If the O line was even halfway decent don't you think they could have done a little better in the spring game? It is ok to be an optimist about the O line situation, but when October comes around everyone on here will be saying the exact same thing I am right now.
                              For what it's worth, none of the players do any actual football activities/training in the winter season. That time is only for lifting and running. Getting bigger, faster and stronger. So, the first time any actual football activity would take place or film watched or schemes discussed would be the first day of spring camp. This is a rule in place by the NCAA.

About this time last year I had a chance to talk to Coach Stig and Luke at the Stan Marshall auction. Both said at that time that the O-line was our biggest question mark heading into last season. They had a lot of inexperience and new guys playing new positions. That seemed to turn out OK. Name one year where our O-line hasn't been one of the better lines in our conference, if not the FCS. You don't run the ball against the teams we have run on without having 1) a good scheme and 2) good talent. Say what you want about Luke, but it's hard to argue against our rushing production since Coach Stig took over.

Finally, I already posted on another thread BEFORE the spring game that the D will dominate and usually dominates throughout spring ball. It's just how it works. Defense works on aggression and playing downhill. O is more schematic.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                                For what it's worth, none of the players do any actual football activities/training in the winter season. That time is only for lifting and running. Getting bigger, faster and stronger. So, the first time any actual football activity would take place or film watched or schemes discussed would be the first day of spring camp. This is a rule in place by the NCAA.

About this time last year I had a chance to talk to Coach Stig and Luke at the Stan Marshall auction. Both said at that time that the O-line was our biggest question mark heading into last season. They had a lot of inexperience and new guys playing new positions. That seemed to turn out OK. Name one year where our O-line hasn't been one of the better lines in our conference, if not the FCS. You don't run the ball against the teams we have run on without having 1) a good scheme and 2) good talent. Say what you want about Luke, but it's hard to argue against our rushing production since Coach Stig took over.

Finally, I already posted on another thread BEFORE the spring game that the D will dominate and usually dominates throughout spring ball. It's just how it works. Defense works on aggression and playing downhill. O is more schematic.
                                Don't try to bring logic into this thread

Comment

Working...
                                X