Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game thoughts

Originally posted by JRabFan33 View Post
    I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?
    Wow!! Those are some pretty harsh words for your second post of all-time... Can't say I disagree with EVERYTHING you said though.

Comment

I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?
      Let's not go calling for coaches heads after the spring game, as that might be a little hasty.

The O-line didn't looked good on Saturday, but then again not only are they made up of mostly red shirt freshmen and sophomores, they were also short handed as well (oh yah, and our D-line is really, really good). Let's at least wait till the season starts before we start trying to judge how good (or bad) the O-line really is, as from all accounts I have heard, linemen such as Parker and Kage are as talented as any players we've had line up for SDSU.

It might not actually be a bad thing that the O-Line got embarrassed in the spring game, because every day they are working out/practicing from now till the regular season they will have something to prove, and that should make them work that much harder.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1220 View Post
        Oh boy!! This might get interesting. . .

With the loses the o-line saw this year with Knips and Bender graduating and getting picked up by NFL teams, it seems that Meadows may in fact be getting good recruits. The o-line this year is young and will time to gel. Let's face it, o-lines have to work together as a unit much more than d-lines. It seems every year we have this argument on this board. How are we going to replace this guy, how are we going to replace that guy, yet outstanding lineman keep getting churned out of this school much like pharmacists, engineers, and cowboys.
        Ok like I said, the past four years the only good o line recruit has been Fick, other than that Coach Meadows has recruited who....? We all saw how Saturday went, it was EMBARRASSING! I will say it again EMBARRASSING! If I were on the jacks coaching staff I would be worried, especially if your name is Luke Meadows. I don't care if the Jacks had CJ Spiller and Jimmy Clausen in the backfield next year, without an Oline you cannot do anything on offense, as we saw on Saturday. Then you say our oline needs time to "gel" ... The season ended in November, I'm no Math whiz, but if 5 months is not enough time to "gel" then how much longer do you want? You really think the next 3 months is enough time to get this unit to "gel"????.... Maybe if Jesus was their Coach. A good goal for the oline next year is to not get TOB and Minnett murdered, cause if I were TOB's parents I would already be looking for a better life insurance policy for him and pricing coffins.
        P.S. Bender came in as a TE, and Knips came in on like a 30something% scholarship. I think it was luck more than anything that the Jacks landed these guys. If they really wanted Knips he would have been on an 80% just like everyone else.

Comment

My impression, O-line is the place we need the most work/help. If there isn't a great deal of improvement on the O-line by fall it could be a long season. I think questions about recruiting are reasonable ones to entertain. That said, there are good ways to go about asking them and not so good ways.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ok like I said, the past four years the only good o line recruit has been Fick, other than that Coach Meadows has recruited who....? .
            Didn't he recruite Woody Orne? I understand that Orne has left, but Meadows still recruited him.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Didn't he recruite Woody Orne? I understand that Orne has left, but Meadows still recruited him.
              The fact that Coach Meadows could not keep Woody Orne happy at SDSU is just more fuel to the fire about why he needs to get the boot. P.S. Woody was EXTREMELY OVERRATTED! Ask Ryan Berry about how fun it was running for dear life cause Woody could not pass protect to save his mom's life. Anyone remember Mcneese St 2 years ago? Jaron Harris (the fastest SDSU player ever) was W I D E open the first series of the game, Woody does not touch his man, Berry gets hit, fumbles, turnover, Mcneese TD. Ya he was young, but this just shows that we had to play young guys because the O line recruiting is so terrible.

Comment

Ok like I said, the past four years the only good o line recruit has been Fick, other than that Coach Meadows has recruited who....? We all saw how Saturday went, it was EMBARRASSING! I will say it again EMBARRASSING! If I were on the jacks coaching staff I would be worried, especially if your name is Luke Meadows. I don't care if the Jacks had CJ Spiller and Jimmy Clausen in the backfield next year, without an Oline you cannot do anything on offense, as we saw on Saturday. Then you say our oline needs time to "gel" ... The season ended in November, I'm no Math whiz, but if 5 months is not enough time to "gel" then how much longer do you want? You really think the next 3 months is enough time to get this unit to "gel"????.... Maybe if Jesus was their Coach. A good goal for the oline next year is to not get TOB and Minnett murdered, cause if I were TOB's parents I would already be looking for a better life insurance policy for him and pricing coffins.
                P.S. Bender came in as a TE, and Knips came in on like a 30something% scholarship. I think it was luck more than anything that the Jacks landed these guys. If they really wanted Knips he would have been on an 80% just like everyone else.
                Or maybe through hard work and good coaching they were able to turn into quality linemen. Seems more of a personal thing against meadows for you. Mcnight was all confrence 2 guys from last year in NFL camps, Castle sounds to be more then promising. They have not really had much game experince to gel. more reps will help, lifting weights and running drills can only gel so much. If we go a year or 2 with terible or bad line play then you have a point, but as of now I can not agree with your view.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

2 players that could end up starters weren't playing if that helps (Parker, Dominguez)

You can add Woody Orne to the list of good O-Lineman that were recruited by SDSU. Add Orne to this years group and you could have Fick, Castle, McKnight, Dominguez, Orne and have a pretty salty group.

Comment

The fact that Coach Meadows could not keep Woody Orne happy at SDSU is just more fuel to the fire about why he needs to get the boot. P.S. Woody was EXTREMELY OVERRATTED! Ask Ryan Berry about how fun it was running for dear life cause Woody could not pass protect to save his mom's life. Anyone remember Mcneese St 2 years ago? Jaron Harris (the fastest SDSU player ever) was W I D E open the first series of the game, Woody does not touch his man, Berry gets hit, fumbles, turnover, Mcneese TD. Ya he was young, but this just shows that we had to play young guys because the O line recruiting is so terrible.
                    What about Mitch Erickson and Kevin Robling?

Comment

I guess its not going to matter how many good lineman we have had that meadows worked with and recruited. Just a guess how he will respond.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

What about these guys? They are long gone, if you read my posts I said "The Past Four Years"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                          2 players that could end up starters weren't playing if that helps (Parker, Dominguez)

You can add Woody Orne to the list of good O-Lineman that were recruited by SDSU. Add Orne to this years group and you could have Fick, Castle, McKnight, Dominguez, Orne and have a pretty salty group.
                          Ok Orne is a 4th stringer for IOWA, and if the rest of this group is so "Salty" then how come the offense only scored 1 TD Saturday on the 3rd string. Ask Minnet and TOB if they think these guys are "Salty"

Comment

What about these guys? They are long gone, if you read my posts I said "The Past Four Years"
                            My mistake, I thought you meant O-Lineman who played in the past 4 years, not recruited in the last 4 years. You are totally right! I guess you just convinced me not to renew my season tickets for this upcoming year. Whew, I am glad I won't have to waste my money on next season.

Comment

Ok Orne is a 4th stringer for IOWA, and if the rest of this group is so "Salty" then how come the offense only scored 1 TD Saturday on the 3rd string. Ask Minnet and TOB if they think these guys are "Salty"
                              1. Orne is projected to be a starter for Iowa this coming yaer.

2. SDSU's defense is one of the best in the FCS, most teams didn't score much on them last year. (except the 2nd half of Montana)

I don't think your criticism is too far off base though and I'm glad to see it. SDSU's football program has to often been met with pats on the back and lowered expectations.

The program now is on the rise, and with winning comes expectations. Criticism from fans shows that there is a passion for the program and people are starting to follow it more closely.

SDSU has missed on O-Line prospects for a gap of time. This years class is solid and I think the Redshirt freshman are good, so there is a gap of 2-3 years were it didn't pan out for SDSU. I'm not so sure you can blame that on one guy though. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Good thing that All-newcomer MVFC selection group watched more than one play that season.

Comment

Working...
                                X