Coughlin rough drafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coughlin rough drafts

I have heard numerous rumors saying that things could get rolling much, much faster than any of us expected. I haven't heard specific details, but from what I was told it should be a very pleasant suprise.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      So how many years do we need to impress donors on the field facility? A whole bunch, me thinks.
      It may be a long time, but I believe it would be less time than doing it the other way around. If takes "x" number of years to get the stadium done first and then the field house, it will take "x+y" number of years to get them done in the reverse order. And I don't think anyone has said it was going to be easy no matter which way it is done.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
        It may be a long time, but I believe it would be less time than doing it the other way around. If takes "x" number of years to get the stadium done first and then the field house, it will take "x+y" number of years to get them done in the reverse order. And I don't think anyone has said it was going to be easy no matter which way it is done.
        No disagreement here. I see both these projects as real challenges, and what ever we can do will help out will get the jobs done quicker. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 years.

Comment

I think that once one project has the funding in place or has construction started that it will kick-start whichever is second. All it takes is that one project to get the "big fish" excited about the entire project and then, perhaps, we will see the larger maoney come in.

No matter which goes up first, it will be a very impressive addition to an already beautiful campus.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This ^^^^

I think that getting the new and bigger stadium is going to increase revenue more. Maybe I'm just kidding myself into thinking that it will be enough to cover just the football budget in itself, but its possible with a 20,000 seat stadium I think. And when you bring in recruits they hold a stadium in much higher regard than a fieldhouse. I would say from my own personal experience that if we are purely looking at this in a facilities perspective, that stadium, locker rooms, and weight rooms are #1, and the rest is just gravy. So sure it will help a little with football, and a lot more with other sports. It would probrably be much more fair to build the fieldhouse first. Life however isn't fair. Don't kid yourself and say that the fieldhouse would bring in the cash that a new field would. Because its not just the field, but the cash money spent in the bookstore, at concessions, and tailgating. The stadium will have much more visability to the public than a fieldhouse. Nevermind that in the Crawford Architects report there were several building codes that are being violated and are unsafe with the current field. People seeing the field will generate more fan interest which equals more money and doners, for the fieldhouse, which I doubt would happen the other way around. I'm not against the baseball, softball, or track teams, but this is how I would guess the big wigs are looking at it. Just my .02
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
              The "New Turf" reference doesn't necessarily mean that the decision has been made to move to field turf. This reference could also be referring to a new grass playing surface (aka - natural turf) or a synthetic surface of some kind (aka - artificial turf or field turf).
              I have heard the decision has been made to go with field turf as it's too expensive and time consuming to keep the grass field in playable condition with Brookings High and the Jacks playing on it. With Field Turf you could open it up to other activities.

Comment

Both a field house and the football stadium are major priorities and should be built as close together as possible. In terms of what project should get priority, I'd say the field house if it were not for the facts that the football stadium is in such terrible shape and is already too small for the current consumer base. When a team averages over 13,000 a game, but the stadium only seats 10,000, that is a major hindrance to the school's revenue generation potential. We lose potential fans when we have "standing room only" tickets available, and the stadium improvement could help alleviate this as well as increase overall interest in the program, which will hopefully help drive the field house project.
                Last edited by Kemo; 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Both a field house and the football stadium are major priorities and should be built as close together as possible. I terms of what project should get priority, I'd say the field house if it were not for the facts that the football stadium is in such terrible shape and is already too small for the current consumer base. When a team averages over 13,000 a game, but the stadium only seats 10,000, that is a major hindrance to the school's revenue generation potential. We lose potential fans when we have "standing room only" tickets available, and the stadium improvement could help alleviate this as well as increase overall interest in the program, which will hopefully help drive the field house project.
                  Not to mention there is a demand for higher price premium tickets and suites and thus potential for more revenue.

Comment

If you want some real in-depth reading to do, about 4 years ago a Structural Engineering grad student wrote his thesis on designing and developing a new football stadium on campus. I am sure it is located in the library. It is also located in the CEE library.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I have heard the decision has been made to go with field turf as it's too expensive and time consuming to keep the grass field in playable condition with Brookings High and the Jacks playing on it. With Field Turf you could open it up to other activities.
                      Field Turf or whatever new version of artificial surface they come up with in the next couple of years is probably a good idea. I like the idea of a grass field but understand that the Jacks are more than likely going to end up on a synthetic one.
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Just wondering where the pretty pictures went? Went to show a guy at work and *poof* all gone......
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                        X