SDSU Stadium-22,000 Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Stadium-22,000 Seats

The whole point of these kinds of wish-lists is to capture peoples' attention and get them to imagine what could be, and to think about how they can get involved. I'd say this initial information about stadium plans has done exactly that.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      If I'm not mistaken I have heard the current fundraising push (It starts with State campaign) is approaching 100 million of the 190 million goal and some of that money was to be directed towards athletic facilities. http://www.sdsufoundation.org/it-starts-with-state
      They're over $100 million. You'll hear a lot more about the campaign very soon, I'd guess.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

How about SDSUFans.com Field...start charging membership fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Do I hear a second from Kevin Ohm?
          Nice! I was at all of those meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
            How about SDSUFans.com Field...start charging membership fees.
            "If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it . . ."
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It sounds to me that the Athletic Department is going to go in multiple different routes to get the money they will need to get this accomplished. I really hope they lean on the city of Brookings to kick in some cash. The city is who benefits the most from home games. The bars, restaurants, gas stations, fast food, hotels, etc, are all very busy on game day, especially for night games. The beer sales alone is huge for the municipality. Knowing Brookings, they will hire about 50 more police officers to harrass students and write speeding tickets, rather than kick in money to the University.

Others have brought up other opportunities for fundraising, such as Dak, Larson, etc. I am sure they will hit them up hard as well. I bet one of the main reasons they brought in Sell was his ability to raise money for the department.

I would have no reason to believe this will not get done in the time frame they have set out. I am so excited, I wish it could get done for next season, but when it happens there is nothing holding this team from being great year in and year out.

Comment

Somebody made a smart arse (Great White Hype anyone?) comment on the Argus Leader comments section that they would fund the whole stadium them-self if SDSU beat Nebraska this fall, which actually brings up an interesting point: How much would a win over a prestigious FBS program increase fundraising efforts? I have a feeling such a win could get potential boosters drunk with excitement over the program (and inebriation can lead even a tightwad into buying a round for the masses) and could have a major impact on the time table of this project.

Obviously a win over Nebraska is not likely, but it goes to show that the impact of these FBS games should not be taken lightly, as the game results can affect way more than just the team's win/loss record.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                  Monsanto Field at Coughlin Alumni Stadium. And keep the damn thing grass. If we go to turf the opponents won't have any excuses when we beat them
                  Best.
                  Post.
                  Ever.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                    How about SDSUFans.com Field...start charging membership fees for new members. We are all grandfathered in.
                    There fixed it for ya! Ha
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I am very interesed to see the drawings on Frost with the addition of luxury boxes, etc. The northeast side of campus could look completely different in 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Thanks Jack#1. I am probably among those in dark on what is about to happen following this story in the Argus, but appreciate your explanation or outline of what is likely to happen. In afterthought and really a historical observation is that the financing of CAS did not involve bond financing whereas Frost did maybe 10 to 15 years later. Was the financing of Frost with bonds a lesson learned from Staduim from State? I might be putting you on the spot and reply only if you wish too. Where would the debt service for the new staduim come from? HPER revenues and maybe a budget item in the HPER annual budget or could that be ticket revenue. One of many details to be determined no doubt.
                        As an afterthought, I thought it prudent to respond to my own post, as I believe the reason there was no bond financing in conjuction of the construction of CAS was because the student body voted down three times to assess student fees to complete CAS. See Staduim for State chapter in College on the Hill. I suspect the assessments would have been used to pay back the bondholders plus interest or debt service.

Some one mentioned that in going D1 we could not assess further fees to finance athletics and perhaps we need the BOR to rescind that action if we go with bonds. That could be in the future, who knows. If SDSU is to go with bond financing, they will never get an issue out the door without some plan of servicing the debt. That I know for certain. This is going to be interesting topic going forward. I feel like everyone else and very much in dark, about what the new project will be all about and how it is to be paid for an how up to date will it be. The Dykhouse looks impressive, but we have not seen anything yet.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          Somebody made a smart arse (Great White Hype anyone?) comment on the Argus Leader comments section that they would fund the whole stadium them-self if SDSU beat Nebraska this fall, which actually brings up an interesting point: How much would a win over a prestigious FBS program increase fundraising efforts? I have a feeling such a win could get potential boosters drunk with excitement over the program (and inebriation can lead even a tightwad into buying a round for the masses) and could have a major impact on the time table of this project.

Obviously a win over Nebraska is not likely, but it goes to show that the impact of these FBS games should not be taken lightly, as the game results can affect way more than just the team's win/loss record.
                          They said this about App St. vs. Michigan a couple of years ago. Similar, but Cal Poly got hosed at Wisconsin in 2008, and we know the success that MN has had with the the Dakota States's. About 5-10% of games played vs FBS teams by FCS teams result in a FCS win.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            They said this about App St. vs. Michigan a couple of years ago. Similar, but Cal Poly got hosed at Wisconsin in 2008, and we know the success that MN has had with the the Dakota States's. About 5-10% of games played vs FBS teams by FCS teams result in a FCS win.
                            Man, if Cal Poly had a kicker who could make an extra point they would have won that game.

On the fundraising, I know I was recently approached to sign a pledge to put on paper my annual giving to the school. I did so without pause. It didn't change anything in terms of what I donate, but just allows the school to use my pledge as a total in terms of how much they have raised for goals. Even if you can only pledge to give $100-500 per year, I would strongly suggest calling Mike Burgers at (605) 697-7475 and asking him about setting something up. If 100 people pledged $500/year for the next 5-10 years, then you have something. If 100 people do so...you get the picture.

Even better, pledge $1000 for the next ten years and you can have a locker named after you in the new Football locker room (Locker Legends). The ten year pledge gives you naming rights to your locker in perpetuity. Its going to take the fanatics like those of us on this board to convince the average to slightly above average fans out there to give money if this stadium and other improvements are going to happen. Don't think $100/year won't mean anything. It does and it will.

All of us are well past any athletic prime we may have had. However, we can still help our sports teams and our school by taking ownership in those programs and giving a little to the school to help out. (I'll step down from the soap box now. Sorry.)
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              I never said it wasn't possible, I'm just saying if I were a betting man I wouldn't like my odds of the Jacks coming out on top. The spread on the other had, I could see Vegas underrate SDSU's defense and grossly overrate Nebraska's offense (they really were awful in the few Nebraska games I did watch last year).
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

I would like to see State put more out in terms of advertising what your donations can get a person. Perhaps some small spots during game broadcasts would bring in money from those fans of the program that don't have ties to the school.

Comment

Working...
                                X