Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Stadium-22,000 Seats

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I don't know Coughlin, never met Coughlin and never will meet Coughlin. He was generous enough to donate money to get CAS built. We are now talking about a new venue and whoever comes up with the lead dough should have their name on it if they so choose. I guess if I had that kind of money it would not be important to me to have my name on a stadium. Don't count out the First Bank and Trust and the Fishback family kicking in some money.
    I'm not sure, but I would guess that Coughlin never intended his name be attached to the structure. He probably just gave the money because he wanted to. Naming the stadium was a way to honor his contribution (thus the "Alumni" in the name honoring others who gave money at that time). Did Jack Frost donate a bunch of money for the HPER?

In today's day and age, naming seems to be one more carrot given to large donors, rather than recognition in appreciation.

Not saying its right or wrong, but somtimes I wish we could go back to simpler times.

With all that being said, I hope this project gets done. Perhaps BHS could help us out in this endeavor? I see USD is taking VHS to the woodshed for a couple million in renovations "needed" for the Dome. I wonder how much benefit those renovations will have for VHS?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I'm not sure, but I would guess that Coughlin never intended his name be attached to the structure. He probably just gave the money because he wanted to. Naming the stadium was a way to honor his contribution (thus the "Alumni" in the name honoring others who gave money at that time). Did Jack Frost donate a bunch of money for the HPER?

In today's day and age, naming seems to be one more carrot given to large donors, rather than recognition in appreciation.

Not saying its right or wrong, but somtimes I wish we could go back to simpler times.

With all that being said, I hope this project gets done. Perhaps BHS could help us out in this endeavor? I see USD is taking VHS to the woodshed for a couple million in renovations "needed" for the Dome. I wonder how much benefit those renovations will have for VHS?
      Brookings High School paid for the lights and I believe part of the deal was that they could then use the field.

I think the best way to get this funded would be to set aside a fund for the football field. I feel that too many people believe if they send a check it will be used to close budget shortfalls and so on. I hate corporate named stadiums, I also feel that they turn off the small donor, (maybe I am wrong). But if it became Stanford field, or Stanford Stadium I feel many people would say build it all yourself if you are going to get your name on it. I just feel that On Campus buildings should be named after alumni and faculty not corporate donors.

Comment

I posted this in the Other News Section too, but it has great information about the Coughlin Upgrade and other sections of the Athletic Master Plan:

http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...-3868688.shtml
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I would agree with you on what Mr. Larson has given to the Brookings area.

I guess my thinking was more along the lines of a big time corporate sponsor stepping in. Larson Doors came to mind because I just happened to look at the new door I installed.

Perhaps they should contact Lowe's Home Improvement. After all, what other "home" could use the improvement more than CAS?
          When consider all the funds and tax breaks that were given by the Economic Development group that is really part of the Brookings Chamber, and the City Govenrment of Brookings to Lowes in order to get a big box store in Brookings, Lowes owes the community of Brookings which includes SDSU, something in return. A nice donation towards a new staduim would not be out of line. Do I hear a second from Kevin Ohm?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            Brookings High School paid for the lights and I believe part of the deal was that they could then use the field.

I think the best way to get this funded would be to set aside a fund for the football field. I feel that too many people believe if they send a check it will be used to close budget shortfalls and so on. I hate corporate named stadiums, I also feel that they turn off the small donor, (maybe I am wrong). But if it became Stanford field, or Stanford Stadium I feel many people would say build it all yourself if you are going to get your name on it. I just feel that On Campus buildings should be named after alumni and faculty not corporate donors.
            I think thats a great idea. Start a fund specifically for the new stadium and place a graph at the entrance to the stadium with the progress chart as funds come in. Could do a wall in the new stadium where donors of $100 or more get their name put on it, much like they currently do in the programs for the Jackrabbit Club. No need to name specific parts of the stadium or even the stadium itself. Keep the Coughlin Alumni name and recognize donors individually on the wall of donors.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Does Mall of America Stadium befit a football stadium (old Metrodome) I frankly don't care what they call it, let's just get it built.
              I believe the official title is Mall of America Field at the HHH Metrodome.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                I have no inside information, but I have heard through the grapevine that they have a five-year schedule to at least get started on this.
                Though grapevine info, I think it has substance. Here we go again with the Staduim for State rehash, but I think it does tell us something. Charles Coughlin came up with 50k and according to College Hill story, he gave the final gift that was smaller to reach the goal needed to build the west side. This is why his name is on the current staduim and alumni is there because of the many people who pledged over a span of years and completed their pledge.

Many people did not support the idea of new staduim, but State Field except for portions of the wood bleachers was a wreck of a facility.So many things went wrong with the fund raising. Some alums went to their grave with a bad taste in their mouth about Staduim for State.

I believe Sell is a smart man and probably a number of old timers had shared a great number of details with him about their experince of Staduim for State.

A number of names have come up in this thread as being key donors. Many or some or more than one will probably make major gifts, but it may take a lot of encouragement and time to bring these people around. I suspect they will come around, but it will not happen next month nor next year. I am greatly in favor of a small donor fund for building facilities and its time as come as we might come up with some funds that way in lieu of increasing ticket prices. I do agree with Milwaukee-Jack about the time for price increases has now arrived. With the offical capacity 10k and we are averaging 13k, then I think the admin can get away with an increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  I think thats a great idea. Start a fund specifically for the new stadium and place a graph at the entrance to the stadium with the progress chart as funds come in. Could do a wall in the new stadium where donors of $100 or more get their name put on it, much like they currently do in the programs for the Jackrabbit Club. No need to name specific parts of the stadium or even the stadium itself. Keep the Coughlin Alumni name and recognize donors individually on the wall of donors.
                  I agree. Could you see duke changing Cameron indoor stadium to corporate "name". I understand its not the same thing but keeping the name i think is quaility move. I would rather names of old SDSU legends and faculty and staff who have made SDSU what it is get that recignition. Selling naming rights just seems to take away a bit of history or tradition that colleges were once very proud too to.

I think as soon as people see plans and a cost total, will make the donations start adding up rather quick. People need to see what they are donating for.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not sure if many of the posters in this thread really understand fund raising for a large capital project. The "thermometer" idea used by local United Fund drives is fine for them, but wouldn't work for these projects. Anybody who wants to give to a "project" can do so and the money will be kept in that section of the greater funds, but the department will not even announce a Stadium fund-raising campaign until it has secured at least 50% of the outlay in advance from major donors. Without that, the project would never make it.

Understand too that the additional revenues from a new stadium could be used in part to retire bonds that are used to build the facility. That's what a marketing study will reveal and when the department has that in hand, and major donors lined up, the fund drive would begin to finish the fund raising for the project. And when it comes to naming rights, there are some major considerations involved when you are looking for a multi-million dollar gift and they will dictate the outcome.

And while the enthusiasm for a new stadium is great...remember that right now the department is doing everything it can just to raise the funds for finishing the Dykhouse Center such as Locker Legends ($1K a year pledge for five years to get your name on the locker for that period) and the stadium isn't the only consideration involved, as completion of the rest of the Dykhouse Center, and the need for an indoor practice facility leaves some additional major fund-raising projects on the table.

Comment

Monsanto Field at Coughlin Alumni Stadium. And keep the damn thing grass. If we go to turf the opponents won't have any excuses when we beat them

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        When consider all the funds and tax breaks that were given by the Economic Development group that is really part of the Brookings Chamber, and the City Govenrment of Brookings to Lowes in order to get a big box store in Brookings, Lowes owes the community of Brookings which includes SDSU, something in return. A nice donation towards a new staduim would not be out of line. Do I hear a second from Kevin Ohm?
                        Considering what a store like Lowe's does for sales tax money plus jobs added to the Brookings economy, I am pretty sure the money given to them was well worth it.

Maybe if SDSU says that they are going to put a hotel into the plans the city will throw money their way like they will the the Swiftel Center.

Putting politics aside, I think that we will see a push for more corporate money from SDSU as a whole.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          I'm not sure if many of the posters in this thread really understand fund raising for a large capital project. The "thermometer" idea used by local United Fund drives is fine for them, but wouldn't work for these projects. Anybody who wants to give to a "project" can do so and the money will be kept in that section of the greater funds, but the department will not even announce a Stadium fund-raising campaign until it has secured at least 50% of the outlay in advance from major donors. Without that, the project would never make it.

Understand too that the additional revenues from a new stadium could be used in part to retire bonds that are used to build the facility. That's what a marketing study will reveal and when the department has that in hand, and major donors lined up, the fund drive would begin to finish the fund raising for the project. And when it comes to naming rights, there are some major considerations involved when you are looking for a multi-million dollar gift and they will dictate the outcome.

And while the enthusiasm for a new stadium is great...remember that right now the department is doing everything it can just to raise the funds for finishing the Dykhouse Center such as Locker Legends ($1K a year pledge for five years to get your name on the locker for that period) and the stadium isn't the only consideration involved, as completion of the rest of the Dykhouse Center, and the need for an indoor practice facility leaves some additional major fund-raising projects on the table.

Thanks Jack#1. I am probably among those in dark on what is about to happen following this story in the Argus, but appreciate your explanation or outline of what is likely to happen. In afterthought and really a historical observation is that the financing of CAS did not involve bond financing whereas Frost did maybe 10 to 15 years later. Was the financing of Frost with bonds a lesson learned from Staduim from State? I might be putting you on the spot and reply only if you wish too. Where would the debt service for the new staduim come from? HPER revenues and maybe a budget item in the HPER annual budget or could that be ticket revenue. One of many details to be determined no doubt.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Considering what a store like Lowe's does for sales tax money plus jobs added to the Brookings economy, I am pretty sure the money given to them was well worth it.

Maybe if SDSU says that they are going to put a hotel into the plans the city will throw money their way like they will the the Swiftel Center.

Putting politics aside, I think that we will see a push for more corporate money from SDSU as a whole.
                            I think they need to put the squeez on Lowes while they still operate in Brookings. If the economy continues to soar, dont be surprised to see Lowes pack up and leave and towns like Arlington do not have hardware stores thanks to those big and wonderful big boxes, who are such a benefit to wrecking rural society. I say put a big squeez on Lowes while they are still in town.
                            Of course we have to go after corporate money, but I singled out Lowes because they got a real sweetheart deal when they came to Brookings, they still owe.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I have heard the current fundraising push (It starts with State campaign) is approaching 100 million of the 190 million goal and some of that money was to be directed towards athletic facilities. http://www.sdsufoundation.org/it-starts-with-state

Comment

I saw AD Sell at the Chamber After 5 tonight in Brookings at the new Dacotah Bank (beautiful, by the way) and wanted to encourage him to begin fundraising right then. (I didn't have to do that - it was PACKED and he knows the game!)

There was a lot of buzz in the building, though!

Comment

Working...
                                X