Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows / Northern State

Originally posted by goon View Post
    So what do we think if he does not get the job? Seems the other coaches are more then quialified also, and Northern only has up to go. So is it a slight if Meadows does not get the job? I would be happy for him if he would get the job. Id be happy if he stays, but if he does not get the offer, is that a good or bad thing?
    That's pretty hard to quantify. Who knows what NSU's emphasis on outside of the obvious of improving.

I would think that the fact that he is in the final four could be anything but a positive for Coach Meadows. I agree with JimmyJack that they would be crazy not to hire Meadows but I don't know anything about the other three. Maybe they are even stronger candidates. NSU will get a solid coach if they are all of Meadows quality or higher.

Different people fit better in different situations. Take NDSU and SDSU and their head coaches. Stig is a great fit for SDSU, Brookings, and the State of South Dakota. Bohl fit well with NDSU, Fargo, and everything they are trying to do there.

The other classic example would be Osborne vs. Switzer. Both wildly succesful at their schools but neither would work if they switched schools.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      I hate bringing logic onto the chat board, but here goes. I'd follow this speculation with "why wouldn't he?". He's had great success at USF at the NAIA level, but the move to DII comes with some major handcuffs. For a smart coach he may see the future and have a gut feeling that the move to DII will be tough on the program and might hurt his standing and reputation as a successful coach. So, in order to "move up" he needs to "move down". So, if Coach DeBoer has higher aspirations he may want to jump at the chance to move to a good FCS school in a Coordinator role and build some cred that way at an NCAA school, rather than slogging through it at USF as a new NCAA school. Makes perfect sense to me if he'd make the move to either SDSU or NDSU if given the opportunity.

My only knock on DeBoer is that from reading his bio his only coaching experience is at USF. I tend to prefer coaches with a few stops to gather different experiences.

Regardless, until there's an announcement on the NSU job, Meadows is still at SDSU and I have no speculation on anything.
      Coming from NAIA and moving up to the Div.1 AA level is a major step up-not a step down.. I would rather be a coordinator in the Missouri Valley Conference then be coaching in the GPAC Conference where there are basically 2 good teams- Morningside and SFalls.. Who's on our schedule this week? How bout Dordt- a team we can beat 80-0 with no preparation or how bout Concordia and the list goes on in the GPAC.. O Coordinator @ SDSU have to prepare against UNI's defense this week-against SIU the folllowing week and then NDSU the next.. Talk about challenging- the quality of football in the Missouri Valley Conference is top notch and I can't imagine anyone not wanting to be at that level of football compared to NAIA or the Northern Sun Conference.

Comment

Meadows has done a lot for the program and is a great o-line coach but I don't see it as a major loss if sdsu loses him as a OC. I know his coaching style and offensive game planning his year were not respected by many close to the program

Comment

Originally posted by bunnybacker05 View Post
          Meadows has done a lot for the program and is a great o-line coach but I don't see it as a major loss if sdsu loses him as a OC. I know his coaching style and offensive game planning his year were not respected by many close to the program
          Coaching style and game planning were not respected? I don't know what team you were watching, but I saw a team that went to the (playoffs for the first time since before I was born) with a freshman quarterback and a patchwork coaching staff working under him.

That gets a ton of respect from me.

Comment

I think unless there was something in the lines of "Kalen you will be the head coach within 5 years" he wouldn't even think about becoming an assistant at SDSU...... Also, I personally would tend to have a staff with little or no head coaching experience, however SIU has a staff full of past head coaches and that seems fine for them.... I just don't know how one of the winingest head coaches would take getting orders from someone else? Him and Chuck have been together for a long time also and I don't know how that would work either....

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              Coaching style and game planning were not respected? I don't know what team you were watching, but I saw a team that went to the (playoffs for the first time since before I was born) with a freshman quarterback and a patchwork coaching staff working under him.

That gets a ton of respect from me.
              Im going to guess some may find the "wow factor" in his offense in their decision. I agree Power run and short passes are not flashy, but by the measure of sucsess, making the playoffs and were 1 qtr away from winning a play off game. his results speak for them selfs. Its a loss becuase we loose abit of our team chemistry and identity with recruiting for now, but any coach is replaceable. Some we would just perfer not to replace. I guess we will have to wait and see.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Show me an assistant coach with little ambition to become a head coach and I'll show you a mediocre coach.

Luke is a bright young man who has done great things for the Jackrabbit football program. I'd hate to lose him but he needs to think about his family and his future. I wish him well.

Comment

I see that Mike Breske, an SDSU grad, has resigned as the Bison's defensive coordinator. Maybe SDSU ought to look for a place for him on the Jacks' staff. If Meadows leaves, which seems likely, it would be nice to add some experience to an already young staff.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    I hate bringing logic onto the chat board, but here goes. I'd follow this speculation with "why wouldn't he?". He's had great success at USF at the NAIA level, but the move to DII comes with some major handcuffs. For a smart coach he may see the future and have a gut feeling that the move to DII will be tough on the program and might hurt his standing and reputation as a successful coach. So, in order to "move up" he needs to "move down". So, if Coach DeBoer has higher aspirations he may want to jump at the chance to move to a good FCS school in a Coordinator role and build some cred that way at an NCAA school, rather than slogging through it at USF as a new NCAA school. Makes perfect sense to me if he'd make the move to either SDSU or NDSU if given the opportunity.

My only knock on DeBoer is that from reading his bio his only coaching experience is at USF. I tend to prefer coaches with a few stops to gather different experiences.

Regardless, until there's an announcement on the NSU job, Meadows is still at SDSU and I have no speculation on anything.
                    Kalen was offered a spot on the Nebraska coaching staff (WR coach I believe)....and turned it down.

Also, I don't think USF is scared of the move to D2. One college publication recently said they would be ranked #5 in D2 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                      Kalen was offered a spot on the Nebraska coaching staff (WR coach I believe)....and turned it down.

Also, I don't think USF is scared of the move to D2. One college publication recently said they would be ranked #5 in D2 right now.
                      I don't doubt that USF could compete in D2 with the team they have right now. I think what most people mean when they say that D2 will be a new challenge, is that USF will have some academic and recruiting standards that will differ from what they abide by now for their football team.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I love the positive comments that are leading this discussion. No doubt Stig, Meadows, and the complete staff have done a remarkable job in the past few years. However, I do find it ironic that 10 days ago a strong contingent of posters felt that heads must roll on the staff for the fourth quarter debacle. It is a very good thing that Stig has taken the steady route to building this program.

One note on Kalen's offer to be an assistant coach at Nebraska. The current wide receiver coach has been with the Huskers for six years now and has received two promotions during that time, including recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach. He has done this while keeping control of the wide receivers. Its possible that they were considering Kalen for TE's coach as that position was filled two years ago by Ron Brown. Brown has a long track record with the Huskers dating back to 1982 and while Kalen could bring a fresh perspective, Brown brought back so much tradition, experience, and is outstanding at building strong leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                          I love the positive comments that are leading this discussion. No doubt Stig, Meadows, and the complete staff have done a remarkable job in the past few years. However, I do find it ironic that 10 days ago a strong contingent of posters felt that heads must roll on the staff for the fourth quarter debacle. It is a very good thing that Stig has taken the steady route to building this program.

One note on Kalen's offer to be an assistant coach at Nebraska. The current wide receiver coach has been with the Huskers for six years now and has received two promotions during that time, including recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach. He has done this while keeping control of the wide receivers. Its possible that they were considering Kalen for TE's coach as that position was filled two years ago by Ron Brown. Brown has a long track record with the Huskers dating back to 1982 and while Kalen could bring a fresh perspective, Brown brought back so much tradition, experience, and is outstanding at building strong leaders.

I wouldn't say "strong contingent", more like two, maybe three posters that have never been that thrilled with Stig in the first place. The only reason I bring this up is because John and Craig tried to make the same generalization on their Monday show after the SDSU/Montana game, and I'm sure it came from reading these poster's posts on this board and the Argus site.
                          I have a feeling there's more Jackrabbit fans/former players out there than we know that will never give Stig a chance and will always see him as being a 7-4, 6-5 coach.

Part of the business I guess.

Sorry for the thread drift...back to Coach Meadows, IMO "the OBVIOUS choice for the Northern job...IF he wants it."
                          Can't say I see it as a step up, considering Northern maybe a tough place to win, unless your last name is Heupel.
                          I guess we'll see. If he does become the next head coach, I know who my favorite NSIC football team is all of a sudden!!

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I actually think Dosch is the most likely candidate. He has been a successful head coach (Dickenson State), and I believe was the defensive coordinator for UND for a time during their successful D2 days. He now has success at NAIA, D2, and FCS and has head coaching experience plus knowledge/contacts of the area.

Not sure if he is related, but I also know that there are a number of Dosch's in Aberdeen. Doubt this would factor in.

Might be wishful thinking on my part.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post

yes, that team would probably be a top 10 team in D-II, the problem is they don't get that team in D-II...... you have scholarship limits, you have NCAA rules, not saying that everybody on USF's team can't cut it in the classroom but between classroom criteria, recruiting criteria and scholarship limits I think USF has more problems then some might think.... I just don't see Kalen leaving for an assistant job unless the pay was that much higher or like I said he was promised a head job there in so many years.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                I see that Mike Breske, an SDSU grad, has resigned as the Bison's defensive coordinator. Maybe SDSU ought to look for a place for him on the Jacks' staff. If Meadows leaves, which seems likely, it would be nice to add some experience to an already young staff.
                                Nooooo!!!!

Sorry, bit strong on the response. Breske was a finalist for the job when Stig was hired. Actually was the #1 candidate until he blew off his interview after UNC won their NC. He's a good guy iwth SDSU ties, but I don't see him being a good fit for Stig's staff. Too strong of a personality.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X