QB arguments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QB arguments

Not much of a QB argument. If Whittier and Mondol transfer out, as rumors suggest, we've got Lotzer and O'Brien plus whoever comes in as a recruit. O'Brien will be fine. Does anybody remember Ryan Berry's first few starts? How about Andy Kardoes? O'Brien played better than either of those two in his first five starts, and those other guys had the advantage of a couple of years in the program, not to mention playing against much lesser opponents.

I recall lots of discussion about Kardoes and Berry in those days. Those guys both turned out pretty good, no? Both were great players. But neither had the raw passing ability that O'Brien does.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Not much of a QB argument. If Whittier and Mondol transfer out, as rumors suggest, we've got Lotzer and O'Brien plus whoever comes in as a recruit. O'Brien will be fine. Does anybody remember Ryan Berry's first few starts? How about Andy Kardoes? O'Brien played better than either of those two in his first five starts, and those other guys had the advantage of a couple of years in the program, not to mention playing against much lesser opponents.

I recall lots of discussion about Kardoes and Berry in those days. Those guys both turned out pretty good, no? Both were great players. But neither had the raw passing ability that O'Brien does.
      AMEN to this!!!!

Comment

TOTALLY AGREE with Jimmayjack and Joeboo. There will be a little bit of a QB contest, but from insider information, it is TOB's to loose. This game especially the last 2 int's did not cause. Let TOB play a full 4 quarters or whoever plays QB and our QB will put up great numbers. We've got great running backs as well and when those 2 weapons are mixed well, we are dangerous. The problem is that we only do it for a drive here and a drive there- don't have that killer instinct. The players deeply respect him and from what I've hear he's very down to earth guy much like craw. He will be a great leader from here on out.

Comment

We lost a game we should not have lost that many people thought we couldn't win. I still can't believe we lost and I'm not likely to "get over it" for a long time, maybe never. I still haven't gotten over the regional championship losses to Northern and Metro.

The kickoff return is what did us in ultimately, that doesn't happen I think we hang on and win the game. When you kickoff 9 times sometimes a big return happens. I wish we wouldn't have kicked to him, now.

The biggest difference? 17 straight years in the playoffs and a great deal of success in post-season vs a playoff newbie lead by a Freshman QB who wasn't given much of chance to throw the ball. Montana was amazing on both sides of the ball the last 25 minutes of that game. That doesn't mean we should have lost, we should have won.

I've heard different things from different people with respect to the QB spot next year. Whittier is an interesting prospect but he might not be a Jackrabbit. TOB is a talented young man who will continue to learn the game in the off-season and who isn't going to lose his ability to throw the ball. However, he isn't going to gain any ability to run it either. Maybe we ought to have Minett learn how to throw the pigskin?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Maybe we ought to have Minett learn how to throw the pigskin?
            Having the option of Minett throwing out of the Wildcat formation would add a lot! I kept hoping to see it later in the year just so teams would have to respect it.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jack View Post
              Were we saying these things at the end of last season. The offensive coordinator did not change and technically the person who is the offensive coordinator was the co-coordinator for three years before that. There were new players, I believe the coaches who see the kids everyday know their abilities directed the playbook accordingly.

Let the rampage begin.
              I wasn't saying "these things" last year. We don't have a Jaron Harris this year either. I know that the coaches see the kids in practice every day but they need to stretch the defense. TOB's arm is stronger the Crawford's but if the defense only has to guard 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, not many QB's can succeed. They did throw long balls to Fox in the Minnesota, Montana and UNI games. I think it worked more often that not. There were many more short passes but more of them were picked off, too. I don't know how to look at the breakdown but how was SDSU's completion % over 10 yards? 30 yards? How many INT's did they have? How many times was SDSU stuffed on 3rd or 4th and 1? They threw if a few times later in the year and had some success.
              I'm not too worried about our QB's. There is plenty of talent. The question is will they have WR's that will stretch the field and a line that will give them time?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I wasn't saying "these things" last year. We don't have a Jaron Harris this year either. I know that the coaches see the kids in practice every day but they need to stretch the defense. TOB's arm is stronger the Crawford's but if the defense only has to guard 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, not many QB's can succeed. They did throw long balls to Fox in the Minnesota, Montana and UNI games. I think it worked more often that not. There were many more short passes but more of them were picked off, too. I don't know how to look at the breakdown but how was SDSU's completion % over 10 yards? 30 yards? How many INT's did they have? How many times was SDSU stuffed on 3rd or 4th and 1? They threw if a few times later in the year and had some success.
                I'm not too worried about our QB's. There is plenty of talent. The question is will they have WR's that will stretch the field and a line that will give them time?
                The name escapes me, but there is at least one with Jaron Harris speed and probably a better overall football player if compared at the same ages. Jaron played maybe one year of high school football and still turned out to be pretty special.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                  The name escapes me, but there is at least one with Jaron Harris speed and probably a better overall football player if compared at the same ages. Jaron played maybe one year of high school football and still turned out to be pretty special.
                  Trevor Tiefenthaler. Fastest guy on the team. His Dad was a stud WR for us. And from what I'm told, Trevor is the real deal.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                    Tiefentaller redshirted this year and supposedly could be the #1 next year.... Is really fast but was a QB in high school..... Terry as well as others have said he has high football IQ and has learned to run routes pretty well..... I question his size though as from the video I have seen of him he looks like a twig.....

Aaron Rollin- WR good hands, decent speed, seems to be more of a posession receiver, across the middle, slants type of a guy

Teddy Shonka- medically redshirted this year, did little last year don't know much about him

Brad Iverson- tall, and athletic but not a vertical guy

Dan Schmidt- don't know much about him but if I remember right he was pretty fast and is 6-5

I'd guess that those are the guys that could become the #1 receiver next year....

Comment

In response to 91jack. I agree with what your saying . They went long in those games- yes. However, they only went long a couple of times altogether and were usually successful.

Comment

Yes mondel is out and whittier is most likely out too. We have to remember though that Stigs did not recruit Whittier. Our old QB coach brought him here. They both seem to be great athletes. I was hoping we could put these guys in other spots- but most likely not. Furthermore, if we don't start using solid guys like Rollins too, who know who else might go. Gotta use the weapons we have .

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Having the option of Minett throwing out of the Wildcat formation would add a lot! I kept hoping to see it later in the year just so teams would have to respect it.
                          If there isn't a threat of a pass out of the Wildrabbit, we probably shouldn't run it as often.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Trevor Tiefenthaler. Fastest guy on the team. His Dad was a stud WR for us. And from what I'm told, Trevor is the real deal.
                            If he is anything like his dad, then we got a good one that is for sure
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                              Yes mondel is out and whittier is most likely out too. We have to remember though that Stigs did not recruit Whittier. Our old QB coach brought him here. They both seem to be great athletes. I was hoping we could put these guys in other spots- but most likely not. Furthermore, if we don't start using solid guys like Rollins too, who know who else might go. Gotta use the weapons we have .

Alright Bro...I just got back from reading TV's live chat...I've got to ask...do you really think that everyone in South Dakota has a problem with TOB being SDSU's quarterback?? Because I don't and I know a ton of other people that don't.
                              But I've got some advice for you...you need to relax if TOB is SDSU's quarterback for the next 3 years or you're going to give yourself a heart-attack.
                              Being quarterback for the State's largest and most successfull university is going to come with some long-days and some fun-days. It's not any different than being the quarterback for the Florida Gators or the New England Patriots. As QB, you get way too much praise and you take way too much blame.

As an obvious ardent Tommy O'Brien fan...you need to realize this and take a deep breath about any little negative comment about him, or you're going to hurt your brain. I guarantee that TOB's not worried about what a couple of know-it-all armchair quarterback's think on this site and that POS Argus site.

Dammitt...I swore to myself I wasn't going to post until at least after Christmas, because I knew I'd regret anything I'd type after Saturday's game.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Propar80. I like what you said. I was just upset about a few people pinning this on one guy. YES TOB must get use to getting both sides of fame. Being the quarterback, he's going to get too much glory sometimes and and too much criticism sometimes. Our team will be fine and so will our backs.

Comment

Working...
                                X