Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations Jacks! Welcome to Griz Country!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congratulations Jacks! Welcome to Griz Country!

Originally posted by MPLSGRIZZLY View Post
    By the way, nobody in Montana cares
    If the same Montana team that played Idaho State shows up on Saturday, then they'll care. There will be a lot of "caring" when the Griz piss away their No. 1 seed.

Comment

The problem when you argue with a pig or multiple pigs, everyone ends up smelling like ****. That's my stance on Griz fans.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

And you dont see any smack in some of the comments from SDSU fans? I just think you people in Brookings are so bitter with hatred for what everyone knows was a good business move.....We pay you $50,000 to not come (which was a clause that BOTH parties agreed to when it was signed) so we can stay home and play someone in our house. When at home and charging $30 per seat x 25,000 seats = $750,000 It looks like a no brainer to me.....and i'm 100% positive that your athletic department would do the same....get over it and lets focus on what very well could be the game of the week!

Comment

I don't see what's smack... besides referring to Zooropa as scooter and using the phrase "stinky desperation."

A Montana fan starts the thread with well wishes and gets attacked because some people refuse to lose the chip on their shoulder they have been carrying for what three years?

Shh shhh shhhhhh It will all be over in a few days

Sadness in the Flatland, hugs all around

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            The problem when you argue with a pig or multiple pigs, everyone ends up smelling like ****. That's my stance on Griz fans.
            I shouldn't say all Griz fans, just some of them.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGrizzly View Post
              I don't see what's smack... besides referring to Zooropa as scooter and using the phrase "stinky desperation."

A Montana fan starts the thread with well wishes and gets attacked because some people refuse to lose the chip on their shoulder they have been carrying for what three years?

Shh shhh shhhhhh It will all be over in a few days

You can say whatever you want, but namecalling won't go over well - see MPLSGRIZZLY's post. That's all I am talking about.

You are right about one thing - it will be over within a few days and it will most likely be a very good game.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGrizzly View Post
                Please see smack section for response.

Comment

Hey! All what's new in scooters world? What are the Odds? Who's taking points? Will the Griz win by more than 3 touchdowns?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                    I think you might want to check some stats there buddy. D1 encompasses FBS and FCS. I can't find your overall record but I doubt you have 877 wins in D1 play.
                    I'm pretty sure what he meant was in a previous post by him where he said "more wins in this decade than any other D1 team.". The source for that was a press release from the Big Sky Conference last week I believe.

I'm kind of surprised at the hostility shown to some Griz fans that just wanted to post over here to congratulate SDSU, and get a little conversation going about the two teams. I guess it's typical of a message board though for some fans to jump all over someone from another team. I know we have a few trolls like that over on eGriz too, but not many people really give a crap about what they have to say

There seem to be a lot of fairly inaccurate assumptions being made about the Griz team too. Like, how they can't win on the road, don't play non-conference road games, etc etc.

If you take the last 4 years, the Griz have a 18-3 record on the road, and a 30-2 record at home. The Griz also played Cal Poly on the road in non-conference last year, UC Davis this year, and Iowa in 2006. The Griz knocked off #1 seed JMU last year in the playoffs on the road, and of course play half of their conference games on the road too.

The fact that the Griz usually have more home non conference games than road ones is due to Money.. Not trying to pad their record or anything like that. Us Griz fans aren't all 100% pleased with bringing in teams like Western State or FT Lewis State to beat up on for the first game of the year, but it's a money game. The Griz only have to pay out a small amount of cash (say.. $50,000?) to bring in a team like that, yet make around $30 per ticket.. $30 per ticket * 25,000 tickets... Can you see why the Griz may not want to travel all that much?

To say the Griz didn't earn a seed this year due to their weak schedule, and just 'bought' the seed is just beyond ridiculous. The Griz are the only team in the playoffs this year that went undefeated so far. This includes wins against Cal Poly (who was ranked at the time), a good UC Davis team on the road, ranked & playoff bound Weber State by a large margin of victory, and of course ranked and playoff bounded EWU.

Not saying that SDSU doesn't belong in the playoffs...they most definitely do, but which ranked or playoff teams did you all beat?

Anyway, it's just football folks... It should be a great game. Here we have two teams that earned being in the playoffs. A team that's undefeated with a long history of being in the playoffs, getting to the NC game, etc etc, vs a team that's fairly new to the FCS (and I wish was in the Big Sky Conference), making their first trip to the playoffs after a hell of a year. There's no need to get all bent out of shape over the game, or the past and start smack in a thread that could have been an interesting read with lots of information about both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizNZonecrazy View Post
                      And you dont see any smack in some of the comments from SDSU fans? I just think you people in Brookings are so bitter with hatred for what everyone knows was a good business move.....We pay you $50,000 to not come (which was a clause that BOTH parties agreed to when it was signed) so we can stay home and play someone in our house. When at home and charging $30 per seat x 25,000 seats = $750,000 It looks like a no brainer to me.....and i'm 100% positive that your athletic department would do the same....get over it and lets focus on what very well could be the game of the week!

Agreed, sorry the Griz AD made a very logical sense. Time to move on and stop being so bitter
                      Last edited by bozemangriz; 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

Originally posted by bozemangriz View Post
                        Agreed, sorry the Griz AD made a very logical sense. Time to move on and stop being so bitter
                        Never mind what a decision might mean for all involved as long as its the best thing for you. Kind of like that?

Integrity and Montana athletics, things that will likely never be associated. If Montana alums and students are okay with that then we should be to.

Other than those little issues, you're right, we should stop being so proud that our program places a value on integrity and just play with the hand we're dealt. The University of Montana is much more important than South Dakota State University anyways.

OK, time to lock this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by GrizMonster View Post
                          Congratulations Jacks! I can't wait to see you guys in Missoula, its a great town, great fans, great stadium, and great game day atmosphere. Make sure you make it out to the tail gates. Griz fans are generally a good sort for the most part, and will gladly accept you at their tailgates. Anyway, just wanted to say congratulations, Can't wait to see you at WA-GRIZ (you will have a great time win or lose)...If there is anyone traveling to Missoula, and wants info on the city, feel free to let me know and I will help you out. Here is to a great football game, and, again Congratulations!
                          Thank you for your kind and gracious invitation. I wish I could accept, but my work schedule and the travel distance makes that impossible. I hope that it will be available on TV or video on the internet.
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by bozemangriz View Post
                            http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...577#post136577

Comment

I think some Grizzly fans seem to confuse the difference between what is legal and what is right. Nobody here has brought up accusations of the Montana Administration doing anything unlawful, but rather that their actions lack integrity. If you think it is legitimate business to lead a business partner to believe that if they show a good faith gesture of coming your place twice in a row that they will get one in return, only with the intent of using the fine print to bail on your obligation after you got what you wanted, then that's your prerogative. Were the actions of the Montana Administration legal? Yes. Were the actions ethical? Most would say no. What goes around comes around, and eventually these kinds of practices will burn a bridge that they'll need to cross in the future.

I do not hold contempt for the Montana because of these actions, but I certainly do not hold the current Montana Administration in high regard their either.

Also, I don't hold any contempt for the Montana fan base and welcome them to this board. Fans and programs are separate entities (for the most part ). I accept your congratulations GrizMonster and look forward to an eventful Saturday.

Enough of this seriousness though, as it is generally against my nature
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Re: Congratulations Jacks!

This has been an interesting thread ... thought perhaps I'd need to wear goggles and a mask to deflect the acid.

My suggestion for Griz Monster (don't know what your moniker is on e-griz) is to just hang it up over here and keep workin' on e-griz; your pride in Griz accomplishments may come off as arrogance, with a condescending tone.

As a native South Dakotan, I had thought this game would be more fun than some of the crap I've found here; on the other hand, sounds like there are some knowledgeable and interesting folks here who've made their way to egriz, e.g., JimmyJack.

My first Hobo Day was as a band member, quite awed by it all, when Huron College was the only college football exposure I'd had. I remember seeing guys like Nig Johnson and Roger Nelson play at the HS level. Yeah, it was along time ago. Also saw the great Carroll Hardy of Sturgis in the stage bkb tourney and state track meet.

Played fb for Augie against the Jacks, as well as bkb in that old SDS barn when Jim Iverson coached, and played with your Virg Riley, NCC mvp, in an industrial league in SF.

Some of what I've read here indicates that there's more for you to learn in how the current playoffs work -- such as the attempt to regionalize the first two rounds of the playoffs (began last year). It's tough to regionalize the "west" when most of the teams are New England to the south.

And when the top four seeds have the right to home games, that leaves only four other home sites. So it seemed strange that with your 8-3 record you would think you "deserve" a home game when there are at least five teams with 10 wins or more, and seven, I think it is, with nine wins. What do they "deserve?"

Then the cracks about the FCS coddling UM, and buying a #1 seed with lots of guaranteed money. There was a chat after the so-called pairings show (you had the same difficulty we had in finding it on espnews) you could read -- John McCullough of Mass. said the "majority" of the 10-member committee voted for Montana as No. 1.

Guaranteed money? I'm sure you guaranteed something, if you have folks who thought you deserved something, and it had to be at least $30k for the first round. When you have a stadium that seats nearly 26,000 and 19,000 season ticket holders, you certainly do have the ability to make strong guarantees. Our fans probably will pay enough to charter planes for 4 teams on Saturday. As you probably are learning, FCS is the red-headed step child of NCAA football.

And while you may have issues with UM, our issues are with the eastern power bloc in this division. The Colonial and its five bids last year, including a 7-4 team.

I'm not trying to start a fight -- just trying to add a little light with the facts as I know them.

Our schools are not the same -- our land-grant college is in Bozeman. But over the years, I do know that both of our schools have relied heavily on home-growns, and the Breskes at SDS come to mind.

And while you may have great delight in poking at a few of our players who have gotten in trouble (along with MSU's who are imprisoned for murder), I recall UCLA-type behavior that was never called on the Jacks.

Nearly all of you are too young to remember, but you could look up the basketball records of the early 1950's, when a good player by the name of Byron Luke played for the Jacks. Byron was making headlines as an eighth-grade basketballer in St. Lawrence, out by Miller. More so in high school -- until SDS hired his dad to come work in maintenance or something like that at the college, and of course bring his son along for a year of HS basketball before he joined the Jacks.

Just sayin'

I think most of you would enjoy Saturday's game if you could make it -- we've met a lot of fine folks at playoff time.

I'm not bothering to extend the welcome, however, to the guy who looks in the mirror and thinks he sees God. And I think you know who I mean.

The best to the rest of you ... remembering guys like Wayne Rasmussen and Don Jacobsen...

Comment

Working...
                                X