Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Sig,s name being floated around

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    I have one request. If he is offered, and he accepts, please leave Meierkort alone and go elsewhere for your next coach. I know that you all are very fond of our coach, and would be tempting to make Ed an offer.
    You forgot the <sarcasm> tags.

On a serious note, I honestly believe the only way Stig ever leaves the head coaching job at SDSU is if he retires or is asked to step down. He worked his whole career for this opportunity and has built a top notch program. You have to respect him for his dedication to SDSU and if he can continue to build on his success one would hope that he's coaching multiple generations of SDSU players decendants. And yes, this coming from the guy who three years ago was calling for his head. I've matured
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

On a serious note, I honestly believe the only way Stig ever leaves the head coaching job at SDSU is if he retires or is asked to step down. He worked his whole career for this opportunity and has built a top notch program. You have to respect him for his dedication to SDSU and if he can continue to build on his success one would hope that he's coaching multiple generations of SDSU players decendants. And yes, this coming from the guy who three years ago was calling for his head. I've matured
      This how I see Stig. He does not seem to be about money even if he has 4 or 5 children and most are at or approaching college and giving them the best would no doubt take money. Its what he is doing and doing it right that matters to him. The bright lights of Vegas??? NAW not him.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

There aren't many guys like Stig around. Aren't many guys like AJ around either. I think they both have very realistic views of themselves and of the benefits of where they're at.

For whatever may be said about Oien, look at his track record hiring coaches. Heck. Look how rarely he had to hire coaches...

Comment

if BOHL didnt go anywhere after 2 10-1 seasons, i highly doubt Stig would go, let alone be offered, but funny nonetheless.

Comment

Stig has said countless times that SDSU is his dream job. Why give up that dream job for a few extra bucks?

As I get older, I'm starting to realized that there are some things more important than money. Friends, family, and doing what you absolutely love definitely outweigh the need for an exhorbitant amount of money.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              Stig has said countless times that SDSU is his dream job. Why give up that dream job for a few extra bucks?

As I get older, I'm starting to realized that there are some things more important than money. Friends, family, and doing what you absolutely love definitely outweigh the need for an exhorbitant amount of money.

I agree, but I'm not going to say that Stig will never leave for any job....

Hypothetically

If Minnesota, or Illionois, or Iowa, or a midwest BCS conference team came and offered him the head coaching job, big dollars, complete control and he would still be in the midwest I could see him leaving.... Now I don't think that Stig would be offered those jobs anytime soon but I don't think its a never gonna leave type of thing it would just have to be the perfect situation and I don't think there are too many of those and the ones that there are I just don't see happening....

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

A few extra bucks? The salary BCS coaches make is more than a few extra bucks. If he would make what the Vegas coach makes today it's $300,000 extra bucks. We're not talking about taking another job down the street for an extra $5,000. They live in a different world than you and I.

If the opportunity comes his way I hope he does what's best for him. If that's taking a huge salary increase more power to him. He owes SDSU nothing - just ask the coach at Northern State!

One other thing the state of SD only allows the coaches (state employees) to sign one year contracts. You can be run at anytime.

Comment

Much more interesting for the fans to discuss than for Stig to think about. I've had this discussion before, he isn't thinking about leaving SDSU. Reminds me of the A.J. situation and UW-Green Bay. Plenty of people get offered a lot of money to try and entice them into a situation that isn't ideal. Plenty of people get offered more money. Guys like John Stiegelmeier don't choose a job because of the compensation. Sure, that is part of the equation but it isn't the deciding factor. Coach Stig isn't going to be heading to UNLV on the basis of a pay raise, I can tell you that right now. This also won't be the last time we discuss a coach leaving either.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                    if BOHL didnt go anywhere after 2 10-1 seasons, i highly doubt Stig would go, let alone be offered, but funny nonetheless.
                    Can we keep this guy around? I don't think I've read a post of his without laughing yet. Keep up the good work.

OT: I think it's fairly naive to think that if a good offer came around from a school in a good situation that the coaches would stay at SDSU. Coaches are competitive people by nature and might want to know if they can make it at the next level.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      OT: I think it's fairly naive to think that if a good offer came around from a school in a good situation that the coaches would stay at SDSU. Coaches are competitive people by nature and might want to know if they can make it at the next level.
                      I think it would take a great offer and a great situation for Stig and money won't be what makes it great. Otherwise I agree.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I think it would take a great offer and a great situation for Stig and money won't be what makes it great. Otherwise I agree.
                        One person I could think of that other schools might go after would be Luke Meadows... Offensive Coordinator, long-time member of an FCS coaching staff that has been ranked in the top-25 on a consistent basis, very good recruiter. You wonder if a D-II or FCS school might be itching to take a chance on him someday.

Of course another option would be to stay at State and be Stig's heir apparent if/when he ever decides to step down.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Gotta jump in here:
                          I find it funny whenever I hear people just assume that for an extra $300 -$400 per year, they should just jump right at that chance. Funny, it's always from guys under the age of 30.

I've been in my career for 10 years now and do quite well at it and make, let's just say "good money".
                          But I can guarantee that if I was offered a career opportunity that in my mind would make me jump out of bed every morning, but only pays me half of what I make currently...I'm all over it and my wife would kick my ass if I didn't take it.

For all you fellas on this board that are in college or just starting out in your career's...you'll eventually find out that $$$$ isn't everything and if you're only doing it for the $$$$, you won't do it forever.

IMHO, Stig is at a point in his life where we all can only hope to be someday and that is in his "dream-job". Yes he seems to be unlike many coaches in the nation who always seem to need that next big-time opportunity...which is fine, and maybe that makes them better or more-competitive than me or Coach Stig...but I guarantee Stig sleeps like a rock at night when he finally hits the hay. And I'm sure someone like Rich Rodreguiz or Charlie Wies can hope to say that one day again also, because I'd be willing to bet their not getting a lot of REM sleep these days even tough their always being talked about on ESPN, making millions, ETC.

As for myself...that day will come...I just keep plugging away. Some people envy people who make millions or billions...I envy guys like Coach Stig who know what they've got.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

No one is wealthier than a man who has what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              No one is wealthier than a man who has what he wants.
                              Amen!
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                                A few extra bucks? The salary BCS coaches make is more than a few extra bucks. If he would make what the Vegas coach makes today it's $300,000 extra bucks. We're not talking about taking another job down the street for an extra $5,000. They live in a different world than you and I.

If the opportunity comes his way I hope he does what's best for him. If that's taking a huge salary increase more power to him. He owes SDSU nothing - just ask the coach at Northern State!

One other thing the state of SD only allows the coaches (state employees) to sign one year contracts. You can be run at anytime.
                                For those who don't know Stig......it's not about him. That's why our program has risen to the consistent program it is. It's about the players, the jackrabbit family if you will.

Comment

Working...
                                X