Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
    Not personal, just classless on your part. I'm all for sarcasm, but if I had posted anything close to that it would have been BAN time for me and rightly so.
    Its all a matter of how you interpret what you are reading. With internet forums and similar modes of communication the problem is most often with the interpretation and not the authors intent. I intended for it to be humorous, you interpreted it otherwise. Maybe our level of sophistication differs. I am after all just some small town South Dakota boy who attended a university that isn't nearly as rich or important as the University of Minnesota. Now maybe that isn't what some of the Gopher posters intended to have me understand but..........
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
      I also added revenues as reported last year (a proxy for AD budgets).
      1) Revenue isn't a proxy for the AD budget. Also, in looking at those numbers, one thing jumps out:

There are three schools that did worse with higher revenue (Tennessee & Georgia, significantly, Florida State--a toss up).

And there are four schools that did better with lower revenue, or about the same--and Cal, Arizona State, Washington did better with significantly lower revenue. North Carolina took in $54M to Minnesota's $53M and finished 2nd.

2) when was the last time Minnesota was even halfway decent in a revenue sport besides hockey? We'll see how long the top 25 ranking lasts in MBB, once you guys hit the big ten meat grinder.

Shoot, when was the last time Minnesota won a Big Ten title in anything that pays for itself (Basketball/football)?

Comment

This belongs in the garbage with jackmd, no class at all.
        Lighten up, Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          1) Revenue isn't a proxy for the AD budget.

2) when was the last time Minnesota was even halfway decent in a revenue sport besides hockey? We'll see how long the top 25 ranking lasts in MBB, once you guys hit the big ten meat grinder.

Shoot, when was the last time Minnesota won a Big Ten title in anything that pays for itself?
          Does it matter if the NCAA still acknowledges that season????

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Does it matter if the NCAA still acknowledges that season????
            Uhhh, that'd be a big fat no sirreeeee.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Uhhh, that'd be a big fat no sirreeeee.
              Then their last men's title in a revenue sport was 1997. I am pretty sure their women's basketball team makes money, or at least they did when they reached the final four in 2004.

I don't even know if they wore helmets the last time the Gophers won a Big 10 title in football though.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Its all a matter of how you interpret what you are reading. With internet forums and similar modes of communication the problem is most often with the interpretation and not the authors intent. I intended for it to be humorous, you interpreted it otherwise. Maybe our level of sophistication differs. I am after all just some small town South Dakota boy who attended a university that isn't nearly as rich or important as the University of Minnesota. Now maybe that isn't what some of the Gopher posters intended to have me understand but..........
                My respect for SDSU fans has officially dropped.

Comment

Then there last men's title in a revenue sport was 1997. I am pretty sure their women's basketball team makes money, or at least they did when they reached the final four in 2004. I don't even know if they wore helmets the last time the Gophers won a Big 10 title in football though.
                  Why all the smack?

Comment

Gopher, you'll quickly learn that the "No Smack" rule doesn't apply as strictly to some as it does to others. So adapt your style accordingly.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

• Re: What are your hopes for the Gophers game?

Why all the smack?
                      Those are the facts....Ok they did wear helmets in 1967 when the Gophers won their last Big 10 title.

I actually like the Gophers, not so much Brewster, but I almost always cheer for the U of MN.

Comment

Those are the facts....Ok they did wear helmets in 1967 when the Gophers won their last Big 10 title. I actually like the Gophers, not so much Brewster, but I almost always cheer for the U of MN.
                        It would also be a fact if I pointed out that SDSU has never, not once, beaten a single D1A team in its history. But that's a fact, not smack by your definition. I didn't come here to talk smack, but you guys love trying to rip on the Gophers or Brewster all the time so there's not much else to talk about.

Comment

It would also be a fact if I pointed out that SDSU has never, not once, beaten a single D1A team in its history. But that's a fact, not smack by your definition. I didn't come here to talk smack, but you guys love trying to rip on the Gophers or Brewster all the time so there's not much else to talk about.
                          This has been a more contentious thread than usual. I know I'm still cranky about last week's loss to SIU and I suspect that's part of what's going on here. I'm going to try not to be so touchy. I feel like I should apologize for being such a grouch. So let me: Sorry, Gopher fans, for not being a better host here. I'm going to start over.

Normally this is a pretty friendly place for opponents' fans to visit.

How about we get back to the game. I think it would be good if we let Gopher fans tell us what they expect from their team this week. There's no doubt this is a much better Gopher team than the one that NDSU beat. What's a good outcome, from a Gopher fan's perspective? Two score win? More than that?
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It would also be a fact if I pointed out that SDSU has never, not once, beaten a single D1A team in its history.
                            It wasn't an SDSU fan who said 'they define Big Money' at the U of M...

I would say that there are dang few SDSU fans under any illusions about where they stand in the grand scheme of things.

U of M? Well, can't say I'm too impressed by the place. To have a giant's footprint without a giant's accomplishments really doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              This has been a more contentious thread than usual. I know I'm still cranky about last week's loss to SIU and I suspect that's part of what's going on here. I'm going to try not to be so touchy. I feel like I should apologize for being such a grouch. So let me: Sorry, Gopher fans, for not being a better host here. I'm going to start over. Normally this is a pretty friendly place for opponents' fans to visit.
                              You sir have way more class than jackmd. My respect for SDSU fans has ticked up a notch.

Comment

Then their last men's title in a revenue sport was 1997. I am pretty sure their women's basketball team makes money, or at least they did when they reached the final four in 2004.

I don't even know if they wore helmets the last time the Gophers won a Big 10 title in football though.
                                remind me again when the last time was that the ndsu buffalo won a title in a BCS athletic conference? oh i forgot. my mistake. the way some of you like to c.o.c.k.-off from behind a computer screen is unbelievable. time for some of the "loudmouths" on here to gain some perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X