Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    Zoo, what would you say the problem was with the offense today, then? It wasn't the offensive scheme, which is obviously amazing. It wasn't the QB Crawford, who was obviously amazing. I'm sure a lot of it was SIU's D, but other teams have scored against them. What was our problem? Why couldn't we?
    The problem with the offense was, in short, everybody except Minnett.

WRs dropping passes, awful pass protection, QB staring down receivers and pitching a tent in the pocket.

Other than that, it went pretty well.

Comment

Here is my take on the game...

The offense was very stagnet.... you can call it the system but if a run up the gut and 5 yard outs that the DB's in Brookings middle school could jump the routs to I don't know if I'll call that a system..... When Crawford did go long that one time it was a ball that hung in the air a long time and allowed the defense to track it.... whether the wind had a factor to do with it i'm not sure....

The defense couldn't contain anythining.... whether its the DE's job to contain or the OLB's job neither did..... with a running qb, the name of the game is contain, ask any high school coach and they will tell you that....

The problem I see with the offense is lets say its 10 pages.... When crawford is in there they only can choose from about 3 pages.... all of the plays and sets with 10 yards and further pass plays they don't run with Crawford in there.... and with his arm motion, and limited arm strength the 5 yard outs are going to get jumped, and if they do catch it its going to be a 5 yard game at best....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        When crawford is in there they only can choose from about 3 pages.... all of the plays and sets with 10 yards and further pass plays they don't run with Crawford in there....
        Key assumption:

That the playbook is bigger for TOB

Proof for that assumption?

Nonexistent.

Comment

Not certain what is so hard to understand. Football is a game of contingencies. Early mistakes put State into a position where they had to play from their weakness relative to SIUs strength. Either QB would've had trouble because an athletic SIU could concentrate on stopping the pass.

By second half SIU could and did lay back. Reverse the order of the QBs and you get similar results.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            That system has put us in position to play for a second conference championship since going D1. Just because it isn't pretty doesn't make it bad. Executed properly it works well.
            You mean the D? Cause that's what put us in position for a conference championship. Have you seen our red-zone offense? BAD. 3rd and short and 4th and short? AWFUL. Between the 20's we are predictable at best. I would say works well is stretching it quite a bit. But I know being critical of anything SDSU is frowned upon, but I think our offense, with a different system, could be much better.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I would say works well is stretching it quite a bit.
              Top 20 ranking and 2nd place in the Valley means nothing, apparently.

Comment

Two plays I thought were interesting were:

A. The botched punt, how can you be given "forward progress" when running backwards?

2. The hand off to Karim when he ran left and threw the ball downfield, and the WR nearly made a great diving catch...but we get flagged for roughing the passer. That's a new one.

Obviously neither affected the outcome, but I had to laugh on those two calls, which were probably by the book, but seriously, when does that happen?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

One question for the members of the board: Has anybody ever seen a rouging the passer/late hit penalty on a half back pass? I don't quite understand how you can be flagged on that play for hitting their RB when the ball is in the air and the play still going. Maybe they called unsportsmanlike for some other reason, does anybody know? Not like it mattered in the outcome of the game (after all, we aren't bison fans here blaming the refs for our loss), but I was just curious about the call.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

RO when I was younger I thought knew quite a bit. As I aged I learned I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought. I learned that there is no food that cures a hangover, no line that makes a woman amorous, no pill that makes a man thin, no secret formula for stock trading, and no magic system in sports to guarantee a win.

The system in place at State fits the athletes and coaching staff. I would love to see an offense like Coach Daly put on the field. It was fun and could rack up points.

But, Coach Daly's teams were not as successful as Coach Stig's. Given that I can't say that our offense is weak and terrible and should be scrapped. I would like to see it executed better. I've seen it executed better. I know that with the coaching staff and young men on the team it will be executed better and more game will be won.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Top 20 ranking and 2nd place in the Valley means nothing, apparently.
                      Would you agree that we have a hard time scoring once we get into the red zone? And that we struggle on 3rd and short and 4th and short? Those are 2 things that are big on determining whether an offense is good or not.

Top 20 in the nation and 2nd in the Valley solely because of the offense, right?

Uh, no.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Two plays I thought were interesting were:

A. The botched punt, how can you be given "forward progress" when running backwards?

2. The hand off to Karim when he ran left and threw the ball downfield, and the WR nearly made a great diving catch...but we get flagged for roughing the passer. That's a new one.

Obviously neither affected the outcome, but I had to laugh on those two calls, which were probably by the book, but seriously, when does that happen?
                        You beat me to it Rowdy...I felt the same way. I didn't want to bring up the botched punt as I didn't want to give the impression of "complaining", but I questioned that call too. If we have any refs on the board, I would be interested to hear their interpretation of either call.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          RO when I was younger I thought knew quite a bit. As I aged I learned I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought. I learned that there is no food that cures a hangover, no line that makes a woman amorous, no pill that makes a man thin, no secret formula for stock trading, and no magic system in sports to guarantee a win.

The system in place at State fits the athletes and coaching staff. I would love to see an offense like Coach Daly put on the field. It was fun and could rack up points.

But, Coach Daly's teams were not as successful as Coach Stig's. Given that I can't say that our offense is weak and terrible and should be scrapped. I would like to see it executed better. I've seen it executed better. I know that with the coaching staff and young men on the team it will be executed better and more game will be won.
                          I disagree.

Comment

Top 20 in the nation and 2nd in the Valley solely because of the offense, right?
                            Last I heard, you have to score more points than your opponent to win.

Comment

Key assumption:

That the playbook is bigger for TOB

Proof for that assumption?

Nonexistent.

There are more throws in the playbook for TOB, if you haven't seen that during the last month you are blind. I'm not saying one if better than the other, but the difference in plays down the field between games at Missouri State, UNI and then Youngstown and the first half today is pretty obvious.

Comment

Last I heard, you have to score more points than your opponent to win.
                                And the defense has nothing to do with us scoring more points than the other team? Haha, wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X