Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance for SIU

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    There was no promotion for students other than The Collegian. I said it last year about basketball games, but the Athletic Department or whoever needs to do a better job promoting games.
    I agree 100%. I live in Wisconsin but follow the Argusleader.com and Keloland.com. There rarely seems to be any stories about the Jacks on Keloland.com. I would hope our SID would be getting to word out to all TV stations in South Dakota to promote this game. Seriously what is more important, high school football or SDSU?
    I think it would be pathetic if there was only 6-7000 fans at the game. I don't expect 15K, but there should be at least 10,000. Lets face it, a lot of Jack fans are very apathetic and need to be proded a little bit.
    The excuses for why the attendance is low get old: hunting, cold weather, crops, etc. Don't you think other midwest/Ag schools have to deal with the same thing? Take 4 hours out of your day and go to the game, have a great time, then go on your happy little way.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      The excuses for why the attendance is low get old: hunting, cold weather, crops, etc. Don't you think other midwest/Ag schools have to deal with the same thing? Take 4 hours out of your day and go to the game, have a great time, then go on your happy little way.
      As one of my farmer friends (and a former Jackrabbit player) says, the combine has an off switch.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        As one of my farmer friends (and a former Jackrabbit player) says, the combine has an off switch.
        All due respect good doctor, but a farmer switching off the combine for 5 hours on a sunny saturday afternoon during harvest is about the same as you taking 2 months off from work. Farmers work hard all the time, but harvest is a somewhat critical time of year for them.

Farmers not attending a game due to harvest is not a matter of excuses or dedication to the program, its a matter of them having their priorities in order. IMO, of course.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

futbol score SDSU 1 WIU 0

Comment

I think its hard to argue against a farmer combining.... its been a tough year and the weather is finally cooperating, one good day with 1 combine running is in the neighborhood of $40,000.... hunting on the other hand is not an excuse.... I wish I could be there, if I hadn't had meetings this afternoon, and if our bball team didn't play DWU this weekend (toughest game of the year) I would of went and I don't feel like I have a real excuse and I live over 400 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              There was no promotion for students other than The Collegian. I said it last year about basketball games, but the Athletic Department or whoever needs to do a better job promoting games.
              Agreed. I would note that Stig and Justin Sell went through some dorms today to invite students to the game. And they were greeting people in the Union. But how about some old-fashioned "Football this Weekend" signs in heavily-trafficked areas on campus? As I said, I talked to students who had no idea there was even a game this weekend.

Sometimes we just don't do the simple things around here. Yes, there's a Facebook group and a Twitter account. But sometimes just confronting people with a sign in the middle of a sidewalk is the best way to get information to them.

Aargh.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Agreed. I would note that Stig and Justin Sell went through some dorms today to invite students to the game. And they were greeting people in the Union. But how about some old-fashioned "Football this Weekend" signs in heavily-trafficked areas on campus? As I said, I talked to students who had no idea there was even a game this weekend.

Sometimes we just don't do the simple things around here. Yes, there's a Facebook group and a Twitter account. But sometimes just confronting people with a sign in the middle of a sidewalk is the best way to get information to them.

Aargh.
                I'm sorry but this is plain BS. If students don't know there is a football game this weekend than they are simply not interested anyway. Could the administration do some more "simplistic marketing" sure, but I just have a hard time believing that students don't know there is a pretty important game this weekend. I just think there is still a relative small contingent of avid fans that follow the team closely and make the game a top priorioty for their weekend plans. Now if there is a special event and it's the place to be seen than they will make an appearence at the tailgate and show up for a portion of the game. No amount of marketing will change the priorities of the students, alumni or fans.

Comment

I think the best thing to get students involved would be to have a Daktronics video board at the union. Something that will get the students attention. Maybe that is just plain stupid. But I don't know. What does everyone think?

Comment

I have a spare ticket ($5 deal) to the game tomorrow if anybody wants it...and wants to sit by my dear ol' dad. PM me. I don't really even care about the five clams as long as you're a good conversation partner with Dad.

Just a heads up that there are tickets to the SDSU/Minnesota game at the Gopher Web site www.gophersports.com. Some decent to high-end ones and some near the SDSU sections. I will post a note on the Gopher game thread, too.
                    Last edited by JackFan96; 11-06-2009, 08:56 PM.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      All due respect good doctor, but a farmer switching off the combine for 5 hours on a sunny saturday afternoon during harvest is about the same as you taking 2 months off from work. Farmers work hard all the time, but harvest is a somewhat critical time of year for them.

Farmers not attending a game due to harvest is not a matter of excuses or dedication to the program, its a matter of them having their priorities in order. IMO, of course.
                      Hey, we still own 160 acres of farm ground so I fully understand the urgency associated with this years delayed harvest. I also know these days you can run a combine 24-7 for corn, beans not so much. 20% chance of rain Sunday, looking pretty good the rest of the week. Some fields are still too wet to get into even tomorrow.

Most of what I post on here is banter, rah rah stuff. If the guys are in the field listening to WNAX are texting me/you for updates I'm great with that. Just because I have and MD behind my name doesn't mean I haven't fired up a combine, pulled a wagon or cart, picked rock, walked bean fields (before round-up ready) or pulled a calf.

Anyhow, those who can make it to the game and want to be at the game certainly should be able to get a ticket. Unless someone needs me, I'll be at CAS.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I'm sorry but this is plain BS. If students don't know there is a football game this weekend than they are simply not interested anyway. Could the administration do some more "simplistic marketing" sure, but I just have a hard time believing that students don't know there is a pretty important game this weekend. I just think there is still a relative small contingent of avid fans that follow the team closely and make the game a top priorioty for their weekend plans. Now if there is a special event and it's the place to be seen than they will make an appearence at the tailgate and show up for a portion of the game. No amount of marketing will change the priorities of the students, alumni or fans.
                        No amount of marketing will change priorities? Changing attitudes and making people aware of things they aren't aware of is pretty much the entire purpose of marketing and public relations.
                        Last edited by JimmyJack; 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          If you are within 3 hours of Brookings, don't have a kid playing in another game, and aren't in the field you should be at this game no questions asked.....
                          3 hrs 5 min.

As someone else said, I picked between Minn and SIU. I knew tomorrow would be for a playoff spot but not for the championship. Really looking forward to seeing the new stadium, but it's really going to be hard listening on the radio.

Comment

I think SDSU has changed as an institution and is continually changing. Its hard to believe, but I believe in early December 1941, the entire student body assembled in the SDSC Field House aka "The Barn", to hear President Roosvelt declaration of war speech. Now fast forward to 2009, with over 12,000 students it seems difficult to get 50% of the student body to attend a football game and if you do so, you have accompolished something. I do not have clue how to turn things around.

I think we are fortunate to have faculty members like Jimmy Jack promoting the game in the class room. As I think back to the early 1960's and my student days I dont ever recall any faculty member taking time to promote any kind of event on campus.

I believe though with so many students, this might be an workable approach. There is the "not interested" bunch and there always have made their presence known, but with increases in enrollment this group may be the fastest growing informal group on campus. Not a good thing nor healthy for future alumni groups.

With classes getting larger and larger, I can see how some young people feel very disconnected and feel like they are just a number who are expected to pay his tuition and fee bill and after that is on their own.

I think the adminstration could excercise some effort into encouraging the faculty to do more promotion of all kinds of campus events. It would help athletics in particular but maybe other functions as well. Best of all some students might find a way to connect and be part of an indentity.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I think SDSU has changed as an institution and is continually changing. Its hard to believe, but I believe in early December 1941, the entire student body assembled in the SDSC Field House aka "The Barn", to hear President Roosvelt declaration of war speech, and fast forward to 2009, with over 12,000 student if you can get 50% of the student body to attend a football game, you have accompolished something. I do not have clue how to turn things around.

I think we are fortunate to have faculty members like Jimmy Jack promoting the game in the class room. As I think back to the early 1960's and my student days I dont ever recall any faculty member taking time to promote any kind of event on campus.

I believe though with so many students, this might be an workable approach. There is the "not interested" bunch and there always have made their presence known, but with increases in enrollment this group may be the fastest growing informal group on campus.

With class getting larger and larger, I can see how some young people feel very disconnected and feel like they are just a number who are expected to pay his tuition and fee bill and after that is on their own.

I think the adminstration could excercise some effort into encouraging the faculty to do more promotion of all kinds of campus events. It would help athletics in particular but maybe other functions as well. Best of all some students might find a way to connect and be part of an indentity.

Penn State has rallies that Jo Pa attends. It can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                No amount of marketing will change priorities? Changing attitudes and making people aware of things they aren't aware of is pretty much the entire purpose of marketing and public relations.
                                If these students are as connected to the internet as I think they are there is no excuse for them not being aware there is a game on Saturday. If you have the answers to change these attitudes than I'm sure the administration is all ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X