Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gopher Board

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I agree with 91Jack on the injury comments. An injury in the Minnesota game is no more likely than injury in any game we've played this year. Since an FBS team has more scholarships and more players, injuries impact an FBS team less than an FCS team if you only look at numbers. But all that is crazy talk. An injury to a key player no matter who he's playing for, can be devastating for a team -- Minnesota included.
    It's all relative to the situation. Out for the season is our best player, All America candidate WR Eric Decker, one of 10 finalists last year for best WR in the nation. If we were playing Florida next week and hoping to pull the upset, that kind of loss is devastating. If we are playing a weaker opponent, it doesn't hurt too much.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbill View Post
      It's all relative to the situation. Out for the season is our best player, All America candidate WR Eric Decker, one of 10 finalists last year for best WR in the nation. If we were playing Florida next week and hoping to pull the upset, that kind of loss is devastating. If we are playing a weaker opponent, it doesn't hurt too much.
      I wouldn't get to brash about playing weaker opponents. The gophs haven't yet really proved that they can score consistently without Decker. It takes more than one game to prove that. Gopher football history is full of "weaker" teams thrashing your gophers. I lived in Minnesota and rooted for the gophers for years and still follow the them closely. Of course my loyalties are now entirely elsewhere. One thing that has never changed is the fact that teams that should have no business beating the gophers, beat the gophers, more often than not. No lead by the gophers is safe either, I've seen more meltdowns by the gophers than I care to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
        I wouldn't get to brash about playing weaker opponents. The gophs haven't yet really proved that they can score consistently without Decker. It takes more than one game to prove that. Gopher football history is full of "weaker" teams thrashing your gophers. I lived in Minnesota and rooted for the gophers for years and still follow the them closely. Of course my loyalties are now entirely elsewhere. One thing that has never changed is the fact that teams that should have no business beating the gophers, beat the gophers, more often than not. No lead by the gophers is safe either, I've seen more meltdowns by the gophers than I care to remember.
        Settle down, my comments apply to ANY team that loses its best player, SDSU included. Here, I'll use SDSU as an example since using my own team as an example upset you so much. My point was that if SDSU loses its best player the week before its scheduled to play a tough team in the playoffs, that would hurt much more than if SDSU loses its best player the week before its scheduled to play a MVC bottom feeder that it should beat easily.

But thanks for taking the opportunity to rip all over the Gophers, that was very classy of you. I could return the favor and rip all over SDSU's history or the quality of your opponents but I didn't come here to trash talk.

Comment

Settle down, my comments apply to ANY team that loses its best player, SDSU included. Here, I'll use SDSU as an example since using my own team as an example upset you so much. My point was that if SDSU loses its best player the week before its scheduled to play a tough team in the playoffs, that would hurt much more than if SDSU loses its best player the week before its scheduled to play a MVC bottom feeder that it should beat easily.

But thanks for taking the opportunity to rip all over the Gophers, that was very classy of you. I could return the favor and rip all over SDSU's history or the quality of your opponents but I didn't come here to trash talk.
          Take some on here with a grain of salt. The whole "no respect" card game is being played quite a bit.

The scenario you proposed actually did happen to the Jacks. They lost their 5th year QB and then had to go on the road to play a toughening Bears team.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I guess, I misinterpreted the point of your previous comment and I apologize for that. Did not think that my thoughts on the gophers were "smack" material. I'd say that those comments are a pretty fair assessment of gopher teams over the past years. If you think differently, then I would not be the only one that needs to settle down.

Also, I've played many card games, but never the Respect card game. Is that with one or two decks?

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
              I guess, I misinterpreted the point of your previous comment and I apologize for that. Did not think that my thoughts on the gophers were "smack" material. I'd say that those comments are a pretty fair assessment of gopher teams over the past years. If you think differently, then I would not be the only one that needs to settle down.
              Your assessment was not even close to a fair one.

"One thing that has never changed is the fact that teams that should have no business beating the gophers, beat the gophers, more often than not. No lead by the gophers is safe either"

That's an extreme statement with no basis in reality. Every team has its fair share of upsets, but more often than not? No lead is safe? Come on, that's smack talk.

Every team, including SDSU and the Gophers, usually beats weaker teams and loses to stronger teams. The reason the Gophers have lost their fair share of games over the years is because they have had some crappy teams, at least by Big Ten standards.

This year the Gophers beat the weaker teams (Syracuse, Air Force, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State) and lost to the better teams (Cal, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State.)

Comment

"One thing that has never changed is the fact that teams that should have no business beating the gophers, beat the gophers, more often than not. No lead by the gophers is safe either"
                I believe the first part of that statement has reference to the Gophers' longstanding role as Big Ten backmarker, as opposed to the Gophs not winning games they 'should' win in any given season.

Thinking being that the Gophs should be better than they are, given the size of their budget & their membership in a marquee conference.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  I believe the first part of that statement has reference to the Gophers' longstanding role as Big Ten backmarker, as opposed to the Gophs not winning games they 'should' win in any given season.
                  No it didn't, read his post again.

Comment

No it didn't, read his post again.
                    Re-read it. It's ambiguously worded.

Comment

Michael Carter, a top freshman on Minnesota's football team, was arrested early Monday morning near campus for underage drinking and obstruction of justice. The football team in the past month also had another player arrested, linebacker Gary Tinsley, and two-game suspensions for Cedric McKinley and Tim Dandridge for violations of team rules.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Re-read it. It's ambiguously worded.
                        SD-STATE sent me a PM and I've written him a response twice but it won't show up on my sent messages so I don't think he got it.

No smack was intended and his statements were over the the top but that's OK, no harm done. If SDSU pulls off the upset this year, I will gladly tip my cap to a tough team. The same could not really be done with a straight face in 2007 with NDSU, because the 1-11 Gophers truly were beyond awful.

Comment

SD-STATE sent me a PM and I've written him a response twice but it won't show up on my sent messages so I don't think he got it.

No smack was intended and his statements were over the the top but that's OK, no harm done. If SDSU pulls off the upset this year, I will gladly tip my cap to a tough team. The same could not really be done with a straight face in 2007 with NDSU, because the 1-11 Gophers truly were beyond awful.

Luckily the players have the final say on this, not folks bantering on boards. Two things to keep in mind before they play:
                          1. Favored or the underdogs, Jacks WILL come to play.
                          2. Jacks are better than the NDSU team that beat Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            Luckily the players have the final say on this, not folks bantering on boards. Two things to keep in mind before they play:
                            1. Favored or the underdogs, Jacks WILL come to play.
                            2. Jacks are better than the NDSU team that beat Minnesota.
                            And in all fairness... I believe this year's Minnesota team is better than the one the Bison beat as well. Should be a good matchup!

Comment

There are tickets to the SDSU/Minnesota football game Nov. 14 available on the Gophers Web site. Some are near the SDSU sections, others are better seats...including some $500 ones, I think. If you still need tickets, you can grab some there.

www.gophersports.com

I'm 99.5 percent sure that's the right Web site.

GO JACKS!
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                                There are tickets to the SDSU/Minnesota football game Nov. 14 available on the Gophers Web site. Some are near the SDSU sections, others are better seats...including some $500 ones, I think. If you still need tickets, you can grab some there.

www.gophersports.com

I'm 99.5 percent sure that's the right Web site.

GO JACKS!
                                stubhub, its easier to just look at the stadium map and the ones in color have the tickets available

http://www.stubhub.com/minnesota-gol...4-2009-765930/

Comment

Working...
                                X