Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gopher Board

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
    That's not particularly a bad thing. When the Bison traveled in 2007, the trip to the Dome was THE game that year for Bison fans. There are at least two games on the SDSU schedule this year that have become more important than the Gophers game. If a fan has to keep driving to Brookings for "must see" games, priority for the Gophers game drops pretty quickly.
    Tickets for SDSU are also much tougher to get in the new stadium than at the dome.

Comment

Looking forward to the Gopher game next week. This will be a "home" game for me as I live in the Minneapolis area and usually have to drive out to Brookings to see the Jacks.

I haven't had a chance to attend a game at TCF Bank Stadium yet but I drive by it twice a day and it is a gorgeous place. I actually have a brother-in-law who helped lay brick in the stadium and he supposedly buried a Badger jersey and pin somewhere in the stadium (you can go ahead and blame the Badger loss on him!).

Defense is definitely our biggest strength and I think the Jacks will need a few turnovers to have a shot in this one. I'm hoping for a good game and no injuries that could hurt us in the playoffs!

Go Jacks!!
      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Honestly at this point, while I want us to win, I'm mainly just concerned that we get out of there healthy. It just seems like an unfortunate time for a game like this.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Honestly at this point, while I want us to win, I'm mainly just concerned that we get out of there healthy. It just seems like an unfortunate time for a game like this.
          I agree JimmyJack. It's hard to care much about this game considering we're most likely going to make the playoffs. I'd rather see us healthy going into the playoffs. When the Bison played the Goofs there was no reason to rest anyone because there was no chance of the playoffs. I think this weekend dictates how we approach the game at TCF.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
            I agree JimmyJack. It's hard to care much about this game considering we're most likely going to make the playoffs. I'd rather see us healthy going into the playoffs. When the Bison played the Goofs there was no reason to rest anyone because there was no chance of the playoffs. I think this weekend dictates how we approach the game at TCF.
            I had not thought too much about this situation, but if we win Saturday, I too will be concerned about being healthy. Maybe though with our better conditioning, we might come out okay. The pay check seems very appealling to me.

Comment

I don't see why people are down playing the importance of this game against U of M, as if we beat SIU, this game becomes extremely important! Why?... because this game will more than likely decide if we get seeded or not, which means an automatic home game in the first round and second rounds of the playoffs. Some people here seem to think that we'll get seeded if we beat SIU (and WIU) without a victory over the gophers, but in the words of Lee Corso "Not so fast my friends!"

Look at it this way: There are only 4 teams seeded in the FCS Playoffs and right now I would say It'll probably be 2 CAA, Montana, and either the automatic qualifier of the MVC or SoConn. If we beat SIU, we could possibly hop into the top 4 in the polls (though polls don't directly dictate the seeding, they will influence the selection committee regardless), but during the weekend the Jacks play the Gophers, Elon (6) will play Appalachian State (7) for the SoConn title, and the winner of this game would more than likely jump an SDSU team that lost to Minnesota. If this scenario happens the selection committee will have to chose between seeding a 9-2 SDSU team that is only in its second year of eligibility for the playoffs or a 10-1 Elon team (only lose to and FBS school) / 9-2 Appalachian State team (loss to FBS team and McNeese State, as well as having won 3 out of the last 4 National Championships). Can you honestly say to yourself that a panel of East Coast Voters are going to vote us in over either of those teams without a victory over Minnesota to hold over their heads?... because I sure can't!

I understand I have made a lot of assumptions in this hasty analysis and there is still 3 weeks left of football, but unless some upsets occur in the top 5, I honestly don't see us getting a seed without winning out, and that includes the game against the Gophers!
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

If we're not going to play to win then we should just stay home. The Bison were in a unique position when they played the Gophers with them not being playoff eligible. Keep in mind though that when this game was scheduled - 1. being playoff eligible most likely wasn't a concern and 2. it was supposed to be the stadium opener and got pushed back to a mutual open date. Wasn't like we didn't try to be on the early season schedule. I'm guessing right now Tim Brewster isn't real happy about this game being played. They will be heading into that Iowa game with a lot on the line and probably wish they had a bye week to prepare. Instead they will be facing a team that is playing near the top of their game and for all intents and purposes could pull the upset.

I'm all on board for being healthy coming out. But I see no difference in the risk of coming out un-healthy than I do this weekend or any weekend. Size wise they're not a whole lot different. Strenght, maybe at a few positions. Team speed, sure, why not. I'd be more concerned about a let down after this weekend and our guys having a mentally week game this late in the season. Tough to rebound from one of those when playoffs are on the horizon.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  I don't see why people are down playing the importance of this game against U of M, as if we beat SIU, this game becomes extremely important! Why?... because this game will more than likely decide if we get seeded or not, which means an automatic home game in the first round and second rounds of the playoffs. Some people here seem to think that we'll get seeded if we beat SIU (and WIU) without a victory over the gophers, but in the words of Lee Corso "Not so fast my friends!"

Look at it this way: There are only 4 teams seeded in the FCS Playoffs and right now I would say It'll probably be 2 CAA, Montana, and either the automatic qualifier of the MVC or SoConn. If we beat SIU, we could possibly hop into the top 4 in the polls (though polls don't directly dictate the seeding, they will influence the selection committee regardless), but during the weekend the Jacks play the Gophers, Elon (6) will play Appalachian State (7) for the SoConn title, and the winner of this game would more than likely jump an SDSU team that lost to Minnesota. If this scenario happens the selection committee will have to chose between seeding a 9-2 SDSU team that is only in its second year of eligibility for the playoffs or a 10-1 Elon team (only lose to and FBS school) / 9-2 Appalachian State team (loss to FBS team and McNeese State, as well as having won 3 out of the last 4 National Championships). Can you honestly say to yourself that a panel of East Coast Voters are going to vote us in over either of those teams without a victory over Minnesota to hold over their heads?... because I sure can't!

I understand I have made a lot of assumptions in this hasty analysis and there is still 3 weeks of football, but unless some some upsets occur in the top 5, I honestly don't see us getting a seed without winning out, and that includes the game against the Gophers!
                  What he said, only adding even at 10-1 I could see SDSU getting snubbed on a seeding.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think seeding is a bit of a stretch regardless. I just don't see SDSU getting that kind of credit.

SDSU is going to get hosed by the NCAA, and it won't even be the first time this year.

MAYBE the NCAA will give SDSU a home game, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up shipping the Jacks off to Missoula-------unless SDSU plans to pull out all the stops when they bid for playoff games.

I haven't yet come across an aspect of the FCS playoff system I like--apart from the fact that there -is- a playoff system. Games put out to bid, only four seeds, ridiculous fear of early round rivalry games......

Seed all 16 teams, give the higher seed the home field, and if a conference has twelve teams and is planning on having fourteen, don't be afraid to match its teams up in the early rounds (and that complaint can be applied to the Big East in MBB as well)

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      If we're not going to play to win then we should just stay home.
                      "You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        I think seeding is a bit of a stretch regardless. I just don't see SDSU getting that kind of credit.

SDSU is going to get hosed by the NCAA, and it won't even be the first time this year.

MAYBE the NCAA will give SDSU a home game, maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up shipping the Jacks off to Missoula-------unless SDSU plans to pull out all the stops when they bid for playoff games.

I haven't yet come across an aspect of the FCS playoff system I like--apart from the fact that there -is- a playoff system. Games put out to bid, only four seeds, ridiculous fear of early round rivalry games......

Seed all 16 teams, give the higher seed the home field, and if a conference has twelve teams and is planning on having fourteen, don't be afraid to match its teams up in the early rounds (and that complaint can be applied to the Big East in MBB as well)

"but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up shipping the Jacks off to Missoula"

Oh how I would love to see the Jacks get a seed. It would be the greatest thing ever, but if they didnt I would love to see them beat the Griz. They are definitely good but I know we could win. My wifes boss who is a HUGE griz fan thinks we would win (he knows all about SDSU because of me). I've watched many of there games and know we stand a great chance. I just dont think the Big Sky is that good this year. I would also be able to see it in person (which hasnt happened since the last time we almost beat those bastards).

Comment

I think the whole injury thing might be overrated. I've heard that several coaches think that playing not at 100% is more of and injury threat than playing "up" in competition. The game is when it is and you have to go into it playing full bore and what happens, happens. Just hope for the best.

I don't know how the NCAA give out hosting rights. Does it go by seeding? How about $ like the WNIT? I don't think $ should factor in but it could.

Comment

I agree with 91Jack on the injury comments. An injury in the Minnesota game is no more likely than injury in any game we've played this year. Since an FBS team has more scholarships and more players, injuries impact an FBS team less than an FCS team if you only look at numbers. But all that is crazy talk. An injury to a key player no matter who he's playing for, can be devastating for a team -- Minnesota included.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I agree with 91Jack on the injury comments. An injury in the Minnesota game is no more likely than injury in any game we've played this year. Since an FBS team has more scholarships and more players, injuries impact an FBS team less than an FCS team if you only look at numbers. But all that is crazy talk. An injury to a key player no matter who he's playing for, can be devastating for a team -- Minnesota included.
                              Whoever said an injury is MORE likely? All I said is that is I hope we don't get anybody injured in the Minnesota game. I also hope we don't get anybody injured in the SIU game. And same goes for the WIU game.

All I'm saying is that the FCS playoffs are more important than the Minnesota game.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                I think the whole injury thing might be overrated. I've heard that several coaches think that playing not at 100% is more of and injury threat than playing "up" in competition. The game is when it is and you have to go into it playing full bore and what happens, happens. Just hope for the best.

I don't know how the NCAA give out hosting rights. Does it go by seeding? How about $ like the WNIT? I don't think $ should factor in but it could.
                                I am hearing that if we win both the Southern Ill and Western Ill game we will likely get a seed and host. There is a bid process but the MVC champ and a competitive bid will get the game in Brookings.

Lets go 1-0 on Saturday first.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
                                X