UNI Game Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNI Game Day Thread

Also, on an unrelated not, Stig had a little Hobo Day growth going on. Nice touch. On Jackrabbit Insider, he said his wife gave him permission to grow a beard for a week...as part of the school's tradition. Personally, I still go for the whole month. I keep meaning to give Gov. Rounds a hard time about never growing a Hobo Day beard. But I always forget.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Maybe replacing grass with turf is one project that could wait if its a choice between turf and another project( you name it.)
      I am with you on this one. Why should we create a surface and atmosphere that we know our opponents will thrive in. We recruit kids that know they will be playing on a natural surface. Why give up that edge at home. It isn't our fault our opponents don't like our surface.

(Granted reading all the whining on Bisonville and Panthernation has brought me to this conclusion. Both are convinced that if we had a good (artificial) field they would have won.)

Comment

Come on UNI, seriously? No wonder everybody in the conference cheers against them.

Somebody should give Batten this stuff. He may just take on YSU's whole O-line by himself Saturday...and win.

Comment

Interesting comment on the passing by Farley. Guess we weren't exactly as expected.

Comment

One thing - they complain about field conditions and how it slows down their fast players a few steps. But, now stay with me here, this might get confusing, both teams play on the same field. Heretofore, our players (those slow farm boys you know) are slowed down a step or two as well. See where I am going with this? If you are faster than the other guy, YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER THAN THAN THE OTHER GUY NO MATTER WHAT SURFACE ITS ON! Even if slowed some, so is the other guy.

Am I wrong here or what? I don't know, but I think the whining about the field is sour grapes and makes you look like a giant excuse-making baby.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think you are on to something there KULaw. That being said, I would rather be constantly underestimated, and surprise them on the field. The longer it takes these guys to figure out our team speed has increased the better off we will be.
              This happened on Saturday and hopefully will happen again when we go to Minneapolis.
              “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                One thing - they complain about field conditions and how it slows down their fast players a few steps. But, now stay with me here, this might get confusing, both teams play on the same field. Heretofore, our players (those slow farm boys you know) are slowed down a step or two as well. See where I am going with this? If you are faster than the other guy, YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER THAN THAN THE OTHER GUY NO MATTER WHAT SURFACE ITS ON! Even if slowed some, so is the other guy.

Am I wrong here or what? I don't know, but I think the whining about the field is sour grapes and makes you look like a giant excuse-making baby.
                Yes and No. I agree about both teams having same conditions at game time. If SDSU has practiced almost exclusively outdoors, we probably in general have a better footing control on a wet field, that is control of their feet by the players, all eleven on the field. Now if you are Dome rats such as UNI is, you dont get to practice the footing nor do you get to execute as well on wet field conditions. The first fumble play by UNI is my case in point. Some one was slowed down a step or two and did not end up where they should have been to execute properly. If you are in the backfield and not contested by Danny Batten because he is being blocked out, then what made them drop the ball? The intended receiver of the lateral was not there so what happen? He might have been just a step slow, but enough to misconnect on the lateral pass. If you went to the UNI film library, I bet you would find several clips of where that play was executed properly and it was done on turf. If they played on a wet field I suspect you would find they did excute properly.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Here's a checkoff list to hand to opposing coaches and players after they play the Jacks. Should make the postgame press conferences much more efficient.

1. Your team lost because:
                  a. We beat ourselves. Nothing they did was a surprise. It was us against them and us. Everybody knows 2 against 1 is hard to overcome.
                  b. Some of the blades of grass were too long and there were some little puddly-water things on the field. Therefore, our guys couldn't run like their guys.
                  c. The referees beat us.

2. SDSU is:
                  a. Fundamentally sound but nothing special. (And I can't BELIEVE we lost to them).
                  b. Nothing we hadn't seen before.
                  c. A nice team but remember, we won some national championships in a lower division a few years back .... remember that?
                  d. Plays hard but our guys look better in their uniforms and run faster on rugs.

3. Coughlin Alumni Stadium
                  a. Is way too far from the visiting dressing room. A couple of our bigger linemen needed oxygen just to get to the field.
                  b. Has MUD!
                  c. Doesn't have a roof or fake grass. Some of our guys were confused. (How do you get grass stains out of uniforms, by the way).

Comment

UNI does practice outdoors, probably on grass (but not necessarily)--but there's a big difference between practicing and playing.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      (How do you get grass stains out of uniforms, by the way).
                      !! Oh Ssssssssssssnap !!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Yes and No. I agree about both teams having same conditions at game time. If SDSU has practiced almost exclusively outdoors, we probably in general have a better footing control on a wet field, that is control of their feet by the players, all eleven on the field. Now if you are Dome rats such as UNI is, you dont get to practice the footing nor do you get to execute as well on wet field conditions. The first fumble play by UNI is my case in point. Some one was slowed down a step or two and did not end up where they should have been to execute properly. If you are in the backfield and not contested by Danny Batten because he is being blocked out, then what made them drop the ball? The intended receiver of the lateral was not there so what happen? He might have been just a step slow, but enough to misconnect on the lateral pass. If you went to the UNI film library, I bet you would find several clips of where that play was executed proberly and it was done on turf. If they played on a wet field I suspect you would find they did excute properly.
                        But, UNI practices on grass, outside. That is at least what I read at panthernation. So their excuses fall on my deaf ears.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I really think that the Athletic Dep't needs to take a step back and really think about this......playing on grass may be a true advantage.

So many teams (especially in the MVC) play on artificial turf, real grass has become an advantage.

Something to think about.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            But, UNI practices on grass, outside. That is at least what I read at panthernation. So their excuses fall on my deaf ears.
                            You will also notice that you saw UNI did not attempt any fancy offense plays (laterals, reverses or fleaflicker) after the 1st quarter. I suspect they had more of these plays in their game plan, but decided not to risk any more turnovers. I am not trying to defend the opponents. I am happy with the win, but I think having a wet grassy field is not necessarily a bad thing and might with certain opponents give us an edge, but not always. Thats my point.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              I really think that the Athletic Dep't needs to take a step back and really think about this......playing on grass may be a true advantage.

So many teams (especially in the MVC) play on artificial turf, real grass has become an advantage.

Something to think about.
                              I hope the keep the grass. If they are going to throw money at something, maybe throw money at how to keep the grass in better shape. Let's remember that it doesn't usually rain everyday in the month of October, so this month is kind of an anomaly.

Comment

Watched the entire press conference for the first time and Grace is exactly what they said he was and that is a me first player. Never once gave the Jacks any credit and Mahoney was not much better.

Bring on the Field Turf to CAS as soon as possible. Our players deserve much better than the condition of the surface they are currently playing on.

Comment

Working...
                                X