Hobo Day-UNI Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day-UNI Panthers

While originally the question about playoffs was just about how they game sites are awarded, several followup posts started talking about chances of hosting and where teams might be headed.

We beat a 1-5 team last week. I am glad we won, but they were 1-5 coming into it. I just do not see how that proves we are worthy of an at large bid or anything else. God Lord, they had one win in six games. The Bison are not a good team, they are not being coached well this year and getting that win should have been expected. I am glad that our coaching staff did not let the team come out like UND, but really, a loss to the Bison would only have been a notch or two better than the Sioux losing to the Cougars. They were 1-5 coming in to the game.

We clearly have the toughest games of the year coming up. Just because we have UNI and So Ill at home doesn't mean those are the only tough conference games left. We have two difficult road trips in conference and a game against a 1A team.

UNI is in a totally different class of teams that NDSU. It is in the class that we want to be in, a win this week puts us in that class. A loss means we are still on the outside looking in.

The ONLY thing is 1-0 THIS week.

rant over

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
      The Jack's focus should be winning the conference first. They can only do that by winning out. The playoffs should be a afterthought at the moment.
      Absolutely. Especially since the high road to the playoffs is the automatic bid by winning the conference. The low road is still available if things don't work out against UNI and Southern Illinois but there's no reason to strive for anything but a conference title.

Even if the football program continues to achieve at a high level, a change for a conference title in this tough of a conference is an opportunity not to take lightly.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

1-0 this week. Minett and Co. 40+ rushes for over 200 yards and no turnovers, simple as that.

Then, 6-1 and off to Youngstown for another 1-0 week.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
          1-0 this week. Minett and Co. 40+ rushes for over 200 yards and no turnovers, simple as that.

I agree on the rushing yards. I think that if we look back at the stats and see that TOB had a ton of attempts we will see a lopsided score probably not in our favor. Granted that in the future we may see some big numbers from him, but right now against UNI we need the fat guys to open up some holes for Kyle & Co.

I agree that 1-0 this week is the goal, but if we can somehow pull off 2-0 this week that will really help our chances for the postseason. j/k
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
            Don't know what Crawfords goal was but I heard that both Crawford and Steffen were cleared today to play. Now that does not mean that they will play but apparently healthy enough to play if needed?

GBGBGJ
            I've heard from a very reliable source that the two will meet with the doctors today and if they can get through the agility tests there's a good shot of them being cleared. The source also said Steffen was a lot closer to being able to play than Crawford.

Comment

200 yards rushing ,another 200 passing = 400 yards of offense for the game, like to see that

Comment

Last year: Minnet - 14 att, 40 yds, 2.6 ave
                Duffy - 3 att, 6 yds, 2.0 ave

Hopefully the Jacks learned from whatever they didn't do last year. Those numbers won't get it done this year, but if I remember, last years game was one that we were really banged up in.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                  Last year: Minnet - 14 att, 40 yds, 2.6 ave
                  Duffy - 3 att, 6 yds, 2.0 ave

Hopefully the Jacks learned from whatever they didn't do last year. Those numbers won't get it done this year, but if I remember, last years game was one that we were really banged up in.
                  I think it was also one where we got down early and had to pass to try to catch back up again. If we are going to win this one we need to control field position and not turn the ball over. A good running game would be a great start in doing that.

Comment

Just went over to the ticket office and checked to see if there were any tailgating spots left. There are ZERO remaining. That includes the $20 spots as well. WOW
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Looking forward to making my first trip out to Brookings.
                      Sounds like it should be a great game (at least, if UNI stops making idiotic mistakes. I can live with them losing a hardfought game because the other team manages to outfight them, but losing like they did against SIU was just terrible).

Anyhow, I'll be over in section O whooping and hollering for the Panthers.
                      And I've taken my truck out and done donuts on our practice field to better simulate your guys' field conditions, so we're all set! (haha, kidding about that. that's the closest to smack that I will get)

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                        Looking forward to making my first trip out to Brookings.
                        Sounds like it should be a great game (at least, if UNI stops making idiotic mistakes. I can live with them losing a hardfought game because the other team manages to outfight them, but losing like they did against SIU was just terrible).

Anyhow, I'll be over in section O whooping and hollering for the Panthers.
                        And I've taken my truck out and done donuts on our practice field to better simulate your guys' field conditions, so we're all set! (haha, kidding about that. that's the closest to smack that I will get)
                        If your planning to tailgate or park north of the stadium make sure you bring that truck, you'll need it. Hope you enjoy the experience despite leaving Brookings with a loss.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                          Good one.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Any guess at how many Panther fans are going to be there? 250-300? Not sure how good of a travelling contingent they get.

It may be a bigger game for them as if they lose, they must win out to make the playoffs, but their schedule is more favorable the rest of the way (Youngstown, W. Ill and Ill. St. I believe). The Jacks can lose and lose one more time (UofM comes to mind) and still make the playoffs.

Here we go with the playoff talk again. I've gotta get that 1-0 engrained in my head better.

Comment

Any guess at how many Panther fans are going to be there? 250-300? Not sure how good of a travelling contingent they get.

It may be a bigger game for them as if they lose, they must win out to make the playoffs, but their schedule is more favorable the rest of the way (Youngstown, W. Ill and Ill. St. I believe). The Jacks can lose and lose one more time (UofM comes to mind) and still make the playoffs.

Here we go with the playoff talk again. I've gotta get that 1-0 engrained in my head better.
                              Saw on their fanboard they tried to get a bus together of fans and had to cancel due to not enough fans. I'd say the 250-300 mark would be a good guess. Good to hear so we can pack the place with Jacks fans!
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                Saw on their fanboard they tried to get a bus together of fans and had to cancel due to not enough fans. I'd say the 250-300 mark would be a good guess. Good to hear so we can pack the place with Jacks fans!
                                UNI doesn't always have a large contingent of traveling fans. Just a dedicated group that isn't afraid to make a little noise.

They haven't had much success with the bus trips this year, in part due to the fact that many of the traveling fans don't want to overnight. But there should be a fair number of us there.

Comment

Working...
                                X