Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota State

To add to JackJD's post:

SDSU held the upper hand in the series until 1964, when the Bison began a stretch of winning 27 of 29 games, including 17 in a row from 1976-92. The Jackrabbits finally ended the streak in 1993 with a 42-30 victory at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. In fact, SDSU has won five of the last seven games played in Brookings, including the last three— in 2002, 2004 and 2007.

Comment

I must agree that this back look is very interesting. I just want to be 1-0 this week. We got to win this one. Until its 00 on the time clock and SDSU is one point ahead, I will not feel comfortable.

Also in the period where NDSU dominated, Division 2 allowed as many as 45 scholarships and NDSU was about the only NCC member who had the resources to fund all those allowed. When D2 and NCC cut back to 36 about 1990, everyone was pleased except NDSU. So I doubt SDSU was ever able to fund the allowed amount, and may have been in the 36 range all during this time. One could assert that at this point NDSU started to consider a move to D1. With spliting scholarships and 9 more than what most of the last years at d2, it made a big difference. From what I recall the Bison always had more depth at a number of positions.

Prior to 1963, the NDSU president was not in favor of the Athletic department soliciting Fargo businesses for money. The new guy that took over in 1963 had a completely different view and wanted to have a winning program. Hence the birth of the Teammakers. The rest is very much history.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        I'm beginning to worry about a Mud Bowl scenario.
        I was thinking the same thing. I'm assuming it's been raining/snowing as much in Brookings as it has been in SF. If the Bobcats play there tonight, tomorrow could be a laughable/nauseating sight.

Comment

The Bobcats aren't at home and the weather has been tolerable in the Brookings area.

Comment

Isn't it only natural though for a fan base to recount previous years when our teams were dominant? I think so. Obviously the 80s were very good to NDSU and when a team experiences that type of success, its very normal for the fans to always expect that type of result. Look at Nebraska, Meechicken, and Florida State in D1. All have fallen on rough times lately compared to their success in previous decades and look how the fans have acted - always looking back "to the glory years." I'm not making excuses for us, I'm just saying it's typical of a frustrated fan base.

I will say on my behalf that I had no connection to NDSU until I began attending in 2004 so I really don't know all about the past and for the most part don't care. I just know for as much money as our program has at its disposal and the facilities we currently have, that our program should not be 1-5. I do take heart though in knowing it does not seem our team is giving up as they have been competitive in every game, and for the most part have not been blown out (UNI was closer than final score indicated).

I'll close by saying I've enjoyed games @ CAS in the past even though we've lost and I expect to enjoy this one too. I hope the opener does not hurt attendance too much as the atmosphere could be electric. I'm hoping for a few balls to bounce our way and maybe a few ST plays, ala 2007 SDSUs PR TD, to lead NDSU to a win. But reasonably I expect to see a 10-14 point win for the Jacks, especially if TOB can handle the environment like many of you expect he can.

Good luck! Go Bison!

Comment

As is my habit, I'm approaching this game with wary hopefulness. On paper, I suppose SDSU "should" win, perhaps fairly easily.

The football bounces funny, though, especially in rivalry games.

And this is definitely a rivalry game.

I agree with the earlier post that said SDSU needs to jump on NDSU from the opening kickoff and not let the Bison get an idea that they're in the game, otherwise it's going to be a nail-biter.

But I've got too much respect for NDSU as a university and as an athletic program to get very cocky at all about Saturday's game.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

NDSU is a way better team than you guys think....i've seen them play every game but 2 in person and they are a series away in most of them. i'd be worried if i was a bunny fan.....as for me, we have no pressure....we are 1-5, just go out and have fun.

OOOOVVEERRRRAAATTTTEEEDDDD

Comment

Originally posted by tradition View Post
                  NDSU is a way better team than you guys think....i've seen them play every game but 2 in person and they are a series away in most of them. i'd be worried if i was a bunny fan.....as for me, we have no pressure....we are 1-5, just go out and have fun.

The Jacks are a series away from being undefeated and probably in the top 10. A person can make the "one series away" argument for any team.

I don't think that there is anyone taking the Bison lightly. I witnessed a team that was looking ahead one time. That #1 team ended up losing their final game and their undefeated season to a team that was, on paper, less talented.

As a whole I think that SDSU is the better team. But, as we have heard a bazillion times, when rivals get together anything can, and does, happen. Should be whale of a game.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Yeah, I hear all that. Nothing like a rivalry game to bring out the best in a team that is struggling. The thing is, the Jacks have not played their best game either. The motivation level is quite high for the Jacks. The B-Chips may be running into the same buzzsaw of which you speak. SDSU has a better team than the one that one in Fargo lst year. I can't say the same for NDSU. Minnette and the Jacks running attack are due for a big day.

Overated? I really don't think so. Not sure where you come up with that? NDSU underrated? Without a doubt. That being said, I really like the B-Chips chances of being
                    1-6 after the game.

1-6! Yikes!!! There is going to be a need for some additional padded hospital rooms in the Fargo area!

NDSU 24
                    SDSU 34

The game won't be as close as the score. NDSU will put up 10 points late.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB_4qiOzJTE

It's going to be Night of the Lepus!

Jacks 41
                      Glorified Cows 28

Comment

I'm definitely not worried about this game. Our coaches and players know what NDSU is bringing to the field Saturday. Our guys also know what they can do. The upperclassmen have suffered heartbreaking losses in big games at CAS and they aren't going to let that happen tomorrow night. I've gotten requests for additional tickets yesterday and today and I don't have access to any. I think 16,000 plus is a sure thing. Its still raining where we plan to hunt so I am actually very happy that I have the Marker game to look forward to tomorrow.

Going to be a whale of game.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Must be an echo, still rattling around CAS from two years ago?
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Smack thread is here, folks.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              As is my habit, I'm approaching this game with wary hopefulness. On paper, I suppose SDSU "should" win, perhaps fairly easily.

The football bounces funny, though, especially in rivalry games.

And this is definitely a rivalry game.

I agree with the earlier post that said SDSU needs to jump on NDSU from the opening kickoff and not let the Bison get an idea that they're in the game, otherwise it's going to be a nail-biter.

But I've got too much respect for NDSU as a university and as an athletic program to get very cocky at all about Saturday's game.

I definitely agree with you Filbert. The sounds I hear from this board scare me. I hope it doesn't happen, as I am a die-hard Jacks fan, but we could lose our next 5 games with the scheduled we have and still play well. Do I think it will happen? NO. It is a tough schedule though.

Comment

The Bison are a good team. But, 1-5 no matter how you spin it is still 1-5. The Jacks play outside. The grass will be wet and slippery - not freshly vacuumed like the dome. The air will be wet and chilly - not temperature controlled like the dome. The playing surface is crowned - not flat and smooth like the dome. The field will be dug up and rough - not freshly manicured like the dome.

Most important - the
                                stands will be full of
                                Jacks fans - not Bison
                                fans - like the dome.
                                Jacks 24
                                Bison 13

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
                                X