Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State game

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Man MD you sound really really down on tthe team after last game. Did they really look that bad? Like horridly bad? I didnt get to watch so I have no idea, and reading your posts we would have struggled with Ill St. w the way we played. Im just curious because I really wasn't too horribly worried about the defense but now the way your describing it we really should be.
    That's the impression I'm trying to make. Take a look at the stats below (didn't copy the best) keeping in mind that their BEST RB and BEST WR were both hurt for the majority of the game. They rushed for 202 yards averaging 4.2 yds/carry, had 20 first downs converting on 9 of 17 3rd downs and put up 333 yards of total offense. They had a 10 minute advantage in T.O.P. We sacked them once and that was really a running play where we caught the QB before he got to the line of scrimmage. Their QB missed a lot of open receivers and could have really picked us apart. Our defense did not look like the top ranked defense at the FCS level last weekend. Positives, we held them to only 7 points on offense keeping in mind the missed FG and the interception of a pass when they were in the red zone. Both of those were much more the fault of their offense then caused by our defense.

This a huge game for the defense. Are they the unit we saw against 3 over matched teams early this year or are they the unit that allowed 9 of 17 3rd downs to convert, gave up 200 rushing yards and 330 yards of offense and didn't get a sack? I think they are the dominant unit we saw the first 3 weeks of the year but I didn't see the same domination last weekend. Perhaps that is all to Poly's credit. I think we have a tough game in front of us tomorrow. I'll have the radio with me at my oldest daughter's birthday party. I gotta make sure I don't get to distracted but I suppose that is why they have lifeguards.

SDSU CP
    FIRST DOWNS................... 14 20
    RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 27-89 48-202
    PASSING YDS (NET)............. 216 131
    Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 32-18-2 24-13-1
    TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 59-305 72-333
    Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
    Punt Returns-Yards............ 1-0 3-7
    Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 4-51 3-51
    Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-22 2-62
    Punts (Number-Avg)............ 8-40.9 7-33.1
    Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 1-0
    Penalties-Yards............... 4-55 3-23
    Possession Time............... 25:12 34:48
    Third-Down Conversions........ 4 of 13 9 of 17
    Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 0 0 of 0
    Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 1-1
    Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-3 2-15
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

With all the stats considered, I believe the most important one is the fact that there have been only 2 TDs scored against the defense. Points on the board are what win games or lose games. No points are awarded for 3rd down conversions or rushing yards.

Now if we come out give a ton of points to Missouri State this weekend, then we can worry a little more about our defense. Let's not look for leaks by poking holes.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
        With all the stats considered, I believe the most important one is the fact that there have been only 2 TDs scored against the defense. Points on the board are what win games or lose games. No points are awarded for 3rd down conversions or rushing yards.
        Not disagreeing, just making points from my observation. Poly could have scored more points and made several errors in decision making and execution that were affected minimally by our defense and that contributed to the lack of scoring. If you choose to ignore the stats and assume that not letting the other team score is the only goal of the defense then you aren't looking at the game as a whole. I'm telling you that Poly had their way with our defense between the 20's and that will likely not be the case this weekend, at least I expect Coach Stig, the staff, and the players will make sure that isn't the case tomorrow.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Is this when I pop in with my "never underestimate a conference opponent--especially at their place" line?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            That's the impression I'm trying to make. Take a look at the stats below (didn't copy the best) keeping in mind that their BEST RB and BEST WR were both hurt for the majority of the game. They rushed for 202 yards averaging 4.2 yds/carry, had 20 first downs converting on 9 of 17 3rd downs and put up 333 yards of total offense. They had a 10 minute advantage in T.O.P. We sacked them once and that was really a running play where we caught the QB before he got to the line of scrimmage. Their QB missed a lot of open receivers and could have really picked us apart. Our defense did not look like the top ranked defense at the FCS level last weekend. Positives, we held them to only 7 points on offense keeping in mind the missed FG and the interception of a pass when they were in the red zone. Both of those were much more the fault of their offense then caused by our defense.

This a huge game for the defense. Are they the unit we saw against 3 over matched teams early this year or are they the unit that allowed 9 of 17 3rd downs to convert, gave up 200 rushing yards and 330 yards of offense and didn't get a sack? I think they are the dominant unit we saw the first 3 weeks of the year but I didn't see the same domination last weekend. Perhaps that is all to Poly's credit. I think we have a tough game in front of us tomorrow. I'll have the radio with me at my oldest daughter's birthday party. I gotta make sure I don't get to distracted but I suppose that is why they have lifeguards.

SDSU CP
            FIRST DOWNS................... 14 20
            RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 27-89 48-202
            PASSING YDS (NET)............. 216 131
            Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 32-18-2 24-13-1
            TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 59-305 72-333
            Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
            Punt Returns-Yards............ 1-0 3-7
            Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 4-51 3-51
            Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-22 2-62
            Punts (Number-Avg)............ 8-40.9 7-33.1
            Fumbles-Lost.................. 2-1 1-0
            Penalties-Yards............... 4-55 3-23
            Possession Time............... 25:12 34:48
            Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 0 0 of 0
            Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 1-1
            Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-3 2-15
            Im personally not as upset about the rushing yards as you are I guess. If you look Cal-Poly,they put up over 150 yds rushing on both their FBS opponents, and they run the option, which is very hard to defend against if your not used to it.
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              Im personally not as upset about the rushing yards as you are I guess. If you look Cal-Poly,they put up over 150 yds rushing on both their FBS opponents, and they run the option, which is very hard to defend against if your not used to it.
              I don't disagree with you except to say that I'm not upset. I'm reporting what I observed from the sidelines and the stands. We rarely stopped them on 1st or 3rd down. Most of the failed conversions were open receivers and poor passes by the QB. Almost every time they ran on 3rd down they converted, that included runs up the middle. That doesn't upset me its just the facts.

I'm not worried or asking people to be worried I'm just saying that our first game against what most would consider a program equal to ours at this juncture resulted in a loss and I think exposed what might have been a slightly overrated defense. Now, I hope they go out, shut down Miss. St. and prove that last week was just a bunch of yards and 1st downs that didn't result in any scoring and not a reflection of some weakness on D. I expect they'll do just that and all my typing will be for naught.

Comment

That stat is what bothers me the most I think. That is devastating to any team's defense. I am hoping we can get some more stops on D this week on 3rd down because the more possessions we can garner the better, considering having a new starter at QB. Need to get him snaps and also run the football.

More stops on 3rd results in more possessions + running the football = Controlling the clock and the game.

Just my thoughts. Let's Go Rabbits.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  More stops on 3rd results in more possessions + running the football = Controlling the clock and the game.

Just my thoughts. Let's Go Rabbits.
                  Exactly what Cal-Poly did last week. We were 3 and out followed by a punt while they maintained possessions and imposed their will between the 20's. We were darn fortunate that they blew it in the red zone. Best part is that was last week and this week we get things back under control.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Not disagreeing, just making points from my observation. Poly could have scored more points and made several errors in decision making and execution that were affected minimally by our defense and that contributed to the lack of scoring. If you choose to ignore the stats and assume that not letting the other team score is the only goal of the defense then you aren't looking at the game as a whole. I'm telling you that Poly had their way with our defense between the 20's and that will likely not be the case this weekend, at least I expect Coach Stig, the staff, and the players will make sure that isn't the case tomorrow.
                    I see your point, we don't have to ignore the stats, but like you said, looking at the game as a whole, in the end we won. Impossible to say if our defense only minimally affected the outcomes of their failed attempts. The defense could of very well altered the execution of the Poly offense in those times where the Poly offense failed to convert. Timing, reads, and various other intangibles often affect the outcome of a play. Long and short of it, I see your point in terms of the stats. On paper they did not play up to the standards they set in previous games. I counter with the prospect that one game is to soon to be throwing up red flags.

Comment

Working...
                    X